Ramblings from Moe Mountain

I don't drink beer that much anymore, but for my 200th consecutive riding day
I celebrated with a Kain Head High with the motorcycle club. Woo Hoo!
bikepio.jpg

The weather has been so rainy and I’ve had a head cold for a week and I feel like crap. Everything hit at once, I finally tapered off Pregnisone (I hope) after years of being on it. It’s a great drug and makes me feel years younger, with lots of energy and few aches and pains. The down side is it destroys your liver and kidneys and Doctor says time to get off it. So the side effects of getting off it is tired, weakness, no stamina. Besides that I’m still on my usual drug for my auto immune condition, and that drug causes feeling tired, weakness, no stamina. Now add to that my head cold. We all know how that makes you feel. So I’m still riding every day, but the last two days I switched to road riding. Today I rode to the Clinton Reservoir and back, just over twelve miles. It was a really nice day and a great ride. I took a side trail into the woods to see what it was like. Way flooded, no fun, so I went back out to the road. I got to the trail to the reservoir and of coarse there are trees down. Damn, anywhere you go anymore is trees down. Then I headed back and came upon a jogger lady along Clinton Rd. As I passed her I heard “Woo Hoo, amazing!” It made me think of @rick81721 comment last week when he stood to climb a hill and got a Woo Hoo from some lady. I don’t ride fast anyway, so I turned around and said hi. She was commenting on my vest, damn. On the back of it I’ve painted Please Don’t Run Me Over. She proceeded to tell me how she got hit by a car last week riding her bike and she feels she has to do up a vest like mine. That was it, said have a great day and pedaled off.
Muddy trails
Clinton ridesmud.jpg

tree work needed
Clinton rides118.jpg

the Reservoir
Clinton rides117.jpg

my vest
Dont run me.jpg

The weather has been so rainy and I’ve had a head cold for a week and I feel like crap. Everything hit at once, I finally tapered off Pregnisone (I hope) after years of being on it. It’s a great drug and makes me feel years younger, with lots of energy and few aches and pains. The down side is it destroys your liver and kidneys and Doctor says time to get off it. So the side effects of getting off it is tired, weakness, no stamina. Besides that I’m still on my usual drug for my auto immune condition, and that drug causes feeling tired, weakness, no stamina. Now add to that my head cold. We all know how that makes you feel. So I’m still riding every day, but the last two days I switched to road riding. Today I rode to the Clinton Reservoir and back, just over twelve miles. It was a really nice day and a great ride. I took a side trail into the woods to see what it was like. Way flooded, no fun, so I went back out to the road. I got to the trail to the reservoir and of coarse there are trees down. Damn, anywhere you go anymore is trees down. Then I headed back and came upon a jogger lady along Clinton Rd. As I passed her I heard “Woo Hoo, amazing!” It made me think of @rick81721 comment last week when he stood to climb a hill and got a Woo Hoo from some lady. I don’t ride fast anyway, so I turned around and said hi. She was commenting on my vest, damn. On the back of it I’ve painted Please Don’t Run Me Over. She proceeded to tell me how she got hit by a car last week riding her bike and she feels she has to do up a vest like mine. That was it, said have a great day and pedaled off.
Muddy trails
View attachment 69429
tree work needed
View attachment 69426
the Reservoir
View attachment 69428
my vest
View attachment 69427

Gotta wear lycra to get a real woohoo! :p

Had my Mojo workin' for me today, I felt pretty good and headed out Doublepond trail.
I easily rode over the drain pipe I died on a few days ago. Got to the boardwalk and for the
first time in four years I was able to ride it the whole length. Up ahead I saw the tail end of
a Bobcat for about two seconds. I checked out Cedar Swamp trail and cleared some pine.
Back to the boardwalk for my second attempt, failed half way, but I'm still happy with my
attempt. I went up by the beach to see the garbage damage left by picnickers yesterday.
A big mess.
Had to move this over a little
Doublepond806.jpg

Cedar Swamp Pine mess
cedar swamp trs04.jpg

Cleared a little
cedar swamp trs05.jpg

The Wawayanda Orchids
orchads03.jpg

The garbage left behind
garbage11.jpg

Well I’m still going. (riding). Some days just seem harder than others, I’m sure everyone feels that way though. You have good days and bad days.
It’s one month now that I’ve been totally off steroids and I sure can feel the difference. I’ve been on the steroids for the last thirty four months.
To me that’s the super drug of anything I’ve ever taken. It removes most aches and pains and improves stamina and muscle strength. The down
side is steroids kill liver and kidney function, in my case anyway, so doctor says time to give it up. Of coarse I feel the difference in my riding now too,
but I still get out every day and give it Hell. I really enjoy the early morning rides in the park. I kind of stick to my regular routine and trails because it’s
comfortable and I can better measure my riding abilities and limits. This is not a downward spiral though, just a small hurtle to overcome. Theatrically
the body starts waking up to the fact the free ride is over and it starts making it’s own “steroid stuff”, which can take a while, like a year or so. In the
meantime, the challenge for me is to keep pedaling and enjoying all the things I can do.
It’s funny how much you improve your riding skills over the years without really noticing. I’ve only been riding about four years, but I remember some
trails that I couldn’t ride at all and now I can, Great! One trail this week I rode and I thought someone had “improved” it by smoothing it out or removing
some rocks or something. On closer inspection it’s still the same old trail. I just ride it better. I come to some sections and consider walking it, then rethink
it and say “go for it”. Very satisfying to conquer these small challenges, especially when you don‘t mind walking when you have to and riding when you can.
No complaining here, just Ramblings from Moe Mountain. :)

Well I’m still going. (riding). Some days just seem harder than others, I’m sure everyone feels that way though. You have good days and bad days.
It’s one month now that I’ve been totally off steroids and I sure can feel the difference. I’ve been on the steroids for the last thirty four months.
To me that’s the super drug of anything I’ve ever taken. It removes most aches and pains and improves stamina and muscle strength. The down
side is steroids kill liver and kidney function, in my case anyway, so doctor says time to give it up. Of coarse I feel the difference in my riding now too,
but I still get out every day and give it Hell. I really enjoy the early morning rides in the park. I kind of stick to my regular routine and trails because it’s
comfortable and I can better measure my riding abilities and limits. This is not a downward spiral though, just a small hurtle to overcome. Theatrically
the body starts waking up to the fact the free ride is over and it starts making it’s own “steroid stuff”, which can take a while, like a year or so. In the
meantime, the challenge for me is to keep pedaling and enjoying all the things I can do.
It’s funny how much you improve your riding skills over the years without really noticing. I’ve only been riding about four years, but I remember some
trails that I couldn’t ride at all and now I can, Great! One trail this week I rode and I thought someone had “improved” it by smoothing it out or removing
some rocks or something. On closer inspection it’s still the same old trail. I just ride it better. I come to some sections and consider walking it, then rethink
it and say “go for it”. Very satisfying to conquer these small challenges, especially when you don‘t mind walking when you have to and riding when you can.
No complaining here, just Ramblings from Moe Mountain. :)

Keep rolling Pete! You're an inspiration to us old guys.

Two questions I keep forgetting to ask, where exactly is Moe mountain, and is it named after Moe Howard?

Keep rolling Pete! You're an inspiration to us old guys.

Two questions I keep forgetting to ask, where exactly is Moe mountain, and is it named after Moe Howard?
It's named after Ira Moe. It's now Hewitt, where Wawayanda is. Here is the short story.
In 1903, by the construction of The Horseshoe Log Tavern in what was then known as Moe. NJ.
The land was purchased from John Mabee. In addition to the tavern and post office, the log building
also served as a stage coach stop and was a tourist attraction. Despite the long steep trek up what was
then referred to as Hog Back Mountain, many tourists walked from the boats on Greenwood Lake to visit the tavern,
where they were reportedly not only well fed but entertained as well.

Nice ride today, I got out earlier than usual because the Vet is making her annual house call for my cat, 8:30 AM.
I saw a medium to large bear on Wingdam trail, it didn't hang around very long. Two large deer stood right across
Sitting Bear trail blocking it and looked at me riding towards them, then they moved.
The sticker bushes are out in full bloom right now, very pretty, but deadly.
stickers.jpg

better known as the "black hole"
Bears03.jpg

The Long story:

Greenwood Lake and West Milford News July 29, 1998
By JENNIE SWEETMAN
West Milford Township Is comprised of many small localities, each of which boasts its own unique past. One of these localities, Moe, once sat atop what we now call Moe Mountain. between Warwick and West Milford, near what Is now known as Clinton Rd.
Between 1828 and 1880, area maps depicted Moe as Greenwoods. It was also referred to as Center Milford. But the arrival of Ira Moe and his wife, Drucilla Blythe (Posh) Mack Moe. soon changed that.
Mrs. Moe and her first husband, Joseph H. (Rash) Mack came to the Greenwood Mountains, where he passed away. In 1893. The following year, she married Ira W. Moe and on Jan. 8. 1896 the Moe Post Office was established, with Drucilla Moe as postmistress. The event apparently led to the name change.
The establishment of the post office was followed, In 1903, by the construction of The Horseshoe Log Tavern in what was then known as Moe. NJ. The land was purchased from John Mabee. In addition to the tavern and post office, the log building also served as a stage coach stop and was a tourist attraction. Despite the long steep trek up what was then referred to as Hog Back Mountain, many tourists walked from the boats on Greenwood Lake to visit the tavern, where they were reportedly not only well fed but entertained as well.
One of the unique aspects of the tavern was Its hand-carved door. Decorative scrolling circled various messages such as Ira W. Moe 1903,’ log Tavern,’ The Latch Chain is Out, Pull it,’ Rules - Call Freely, Drink Heartily. Pay Honestly, Part Quietly.’
Upon entering the tavern located on the top of the mountain in the vicinity of the present-day Mount Laurel Club, visitors could view mementoes from around the world. Moe. known for his ingenuity, had many trick lights and other novelties of his own on display.
Not to be outdone by her husband, Drucilla Moe entertained her guests with stories of her past life. She had many stories to tell. Her first husband, who had been active in the circus and theatrical world, not only joined the management of the Barnum and Bailey Circus but, for a short period of time, owned a 1/16th interest In It. Mrs. Moe, an extraordinarily talented person, was an expert hunter, horseback rider, musician and artist.
Mr. Moe on the other hand, in addition to the tavern, was well-known for his wild cherry tonic, He owned a team of white horses which pulled a yellow wagon advertising his home-brew.
Moe apparently had a fiery temperament, which was illustrated by on incident involving his team of horses and on unsuspecting motorist. For about 30 years after the Incident, old timers recalled that innkeeper Ira Moe once drew his pistol, pointed it at a summer resident and staying in Warwick and compelled the man to stop his automobile and get off the rood so that Moe could drive post with his spirited team of horses.
While it’s difficult to imagine stage coaches lumbering through the area In the 20th century. the stage coach was still in operation as late as Aug. 2. 1911 On that date a news article reported that Herman Paddock, one of our popular boys who drives a stage coach between Greenwood Lake and Wawayanda killed a large rattler with 10 rattles near Moe last week.’
Incidentally, at that time a toll road was in operation from the Warwick Turnpike to Wawayanda, which was located a short distance from the present entrance road to Wawayanda State Park.
Moe had its moment in the sun, or at least in the spotlight, in 1916 when Lionel Barrymore starred in the movie Dorians Divorce ,which was shot in and around the Horse Shoe Log Cabin.
Drucilla Moe passed away on January 12, 1916, at the age of 57. The funeral services were held at her home. Her remains were transported to the Warwick Cemetery with the yellow wagon serving as the funeral hearse.
Following her demise, Ira Moe served as postmaster, until the Moe post office officially closed on Dec. 15, 1921,Just prior to his death on April 29,1921 ,Moe was held up twice. On April 20,1921 news article reported a Daring holdup at the Ira W. Moe home. The article noted that Moe’s wild cherry, which was famous before prohibition, and other wines and Liquors, were reported stolen by four masked thieves who also took stamps and a typewriter from the little post office.
Moe was 60 when he died. His obituary noted that Moe’s tavern had been looted by highwaymen.
On April 11,1928 a news article reported that Moe’s Place changed hands, having been sold to a country club. Moe’s Place was eventually demolished and today the site boasts a modern home. But while the famed Horse Shoe Log Cabin at Moe, NJ, Is gone, the name Moe lingers. some photos

Moes Tavern15.JPG
Moes Tavern16.JPG
ad6.jpg
car1.jpg
Moes Tavern11.JPG

Back
Top Bottom