New to mtbNJ - Looking for Riders

Grenade

Hi everyone, I've been scanning through the forums here for a few weeks, but this is my first post. Recently got into mountain biking this summer after buying a Trek Marlin 5 and I've been riding almost every weekend since. I've found that a lot of group rides are held during the week at times that I can't make because I don't get out of work until 6 usually. So I was wondering, any other northern/central NJ people ride often on weekends? I'm looking to find some people to ride with. So far I've been to Lewis Morris, Six Mile Run, and a hidden/unknown trail made by ATVs and dirt bikes in Madison, NJ where I live.

Welcome! there are a couple groups that post in meetup.com - with rides of different levels. I'm sure your request will generate some invites.
Weather permitting, we will be working on chimney rock on wednesday evening. swing through, and say hello if it fits your schedule. also check the
mtbnj.com ride calendar - (someone please post the link, busy now but will get it later) -

Hi everyone, I've been scanning through the forums here for a few weeks, but this is my first post. Recently got into mountain biking this summer after buying a Trek Marlin 5 and I've been riding almost every weekend since. I've found that a lot of group rides are held during the week at times that I can't make because I don't get out of work until 6 usually. So I was wondering, any other northern/central NJ people ride often on weekends? I'm looking to find some people to ride with. So far I've been to Lewis Morris, Six Mile Run, and a hidden/unknown trail made by ATVs and dirt bikes in Madison, NJ where I live.
I ride chimney rock, hartshorne and some others regularly. Always welcome to join.

Here is a list of group rides we are hosting in the coming months. They are on weekends so hopefully you can make some of these dates.
Welcome!

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/2016-remaining-mtbnj-events-schedule.40228/

Hey all. Since our race season is all done we are going to put more of a focus on getting out and making group rides happen for the rest of the year. Here is what our schedule looks like. So mark your calendars now.

Aug 21: Stewart State Forest (@UtahJoe) will lead. Not exactly New Jersey but we are looking to bring new riders to parks we have not gotten to yet.

Sep 17: Allaire (@Mitch) will lead a memorial ride for our fallen teammate Chris Schilling. More details to come as the event nears.

Sep 18: Ringwood (@gtluke) will lead an intermediate ride. Ringwood can be a tougher place so we can't offer this as pure beginner but if you show up with the right attitude we'll make sure you have a good time.

Oct 15: Six Mile (@Norm) or any number of people can lead this. After the ride we will join @jdog at his shop down the road, Halter's Cycles. MTBNJ will buy a bunch of pizzas and we will hang out at the shop for a bit. This is a perfect ride for all ability levels as well as kids.

Oct 29: MTBNJ's HPCX team gathering. We were there last year and this serves as our de facto team picnic of the year. I am posting this here mostly for cross friends of the team & site. This was a lot of fun last year and I am sure it will be the same this year.

Nov 13: Stephens (@mattybfat) will lead this one, dabbling into the Mooch realm without taking everyone on the less forgiving trails of Allamuchy north. This is another of the intermediate-leaning rides so choose wisely. We will have more info as the date approaches.

Dec 10: Nassau (@jShort) will bring us on a tour of this popular ride from last year. This is obviously weather-dependent so who knows what happens between now and then.

Thanks @pooriggy !

Also, there are very popular skills clinics provided by @BiknBen - might be too late in the year for mtb tho....
get to meet people, and improve quickly.

if you are interested in triathlon training, check out www.paramountmultisport.com - in your hood, but they are more
roadies (some of us do the trail version)

again, welcome!

Welcome, and interested in the Madison trails you speak of. I can't imagine where there's any unclaimed dirt in Madison.

Welcome! there are a couple groups that post in meetup.com - with rides of different levels. I'm sure your request will generate some invites.
Weather permitting, we will be working on chimney rock on wednesday evening. swing through, and say hello if it fits your schedule. also check the
mtbnj.com ride calendar - (someone please post the link, busy now but will get it later) -
I'd love to help out. It's just tough to make any events or rides in the week with the time I get out of work and my commute unfortunately.

I ride chimney rock, hartshorne and some others regularly. Always welcome to join.
I'd love to join you some time. Haven't been to either of those trails yet, but I've been wanting to.

Here is a list of group rides we are hosting in the coming months. They are on weekends so hopefully you can make some of these dates.
Welcome!

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/2016-remaining-mtbnj-events-schedule.40228/

Hey all. Since our race season is all done we are going to put more of a focus on getting out and making group rides happen for the rest of the year. Here is what our schedule looks like. So mark your calendars now.

Aug 21: Stewart State Forest (@UtahJoe) will lead. Not exactly New Jersey but we are looking to bring new riders to parks we have not gotten to yet.

Sep 17: Allaire (@Mitch) will lead a memorial ride for our fallen teammate Chris Schilling. More details to come as the event nears.

Sep 18: Ringwood (@gtluke) will lead an intermediate ride. Ringwood can be a tougher place so we can't offer this as pure beginner but if you show up with the right attitude we'll make sure you have a good time.

Oct 15: Six Mile (@Norm) or any number of people can lead this. After the ride we will join @jdog at his shop down the road, Halter's Cycles. MTBNJ will buy a bunch of pizzas and we will hang out at the shop for a bit. This is a perfect ride for all ability levels as well as kids.

Oct 29: MTBNJ's HPCX team gathering. We were there last year and this serves as our de facto team picnic of the year. I am posting this here mostly for cross friends of the team & site. This was a lot of fun last year and I am sure it will be the same this year.

Nov 13: Stephens (@mattybfat) will lead this one, dabbling into the Mooch realm without taking everyone on the less forgiving trails of Allamuchy north. This is another of the intermediate-leaning rides so choose wisely. We will have more info as the date approaches.

Dec 10: Nassau (@jShort) will bring us on a tour of this popular ride from last year. This is obviously weather-dependent so who knows what happens between now and then.
This is very helpful! Thank you for posting this. I did not see this pinned anywhere so I didn't know this thread even existed.

Welcome, and interested in the Madison trails you speak of. I can't imagine where there's any unclaimed dirt in Madison.
Yeah I couldn't either, but someone else from Madison showed me and it's pretty cool. Definitely not very hilly or anything, but has some roots, mini jumps, and crosses a couple creeks. It follows along side of some power lines and actually goes across the abandoned Triborough Rd. bridge over Rt. 24.

Welcome. 1 yr noob here and I ride at High Mountain in nnj, early mornings almost every weekend. If you are looking for a slow pace, no traffic riding, hit me up.

a hidden/unknown trail made by ATVs and dirt bikes in Madison, NJ where I live.

:eek: Hidden trail? I gotta look into this. I've been in Madison for 12+ years. Never thought to look before.. Good info, and welcome! Not much MTBing for me this year, but LewMo and 6MR are my go to spots as well.

So inquiring minds want to know...which is it?

Hand Grenade_ttimage_01.jpgff4f17fa-c48e-49c9-89d3-150104c3e530Large-1.jpg

or
Hand-Grenade-Cocktail.jpg

Yeah I couldn't either, but someone else from Madison showed me and it's pretty cool. Definitely not very hilly or anything, but has some roots, mini jumps, and crosses a couple creeks. It follows along side of some power lines and actually goes across the abandoned Triborough Rd. bridge over Rt. 24.
I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET OUT TO THAT.

The couple attempts I made I think I bailed because it felt like I was trespassing.

Welcome!

I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET OUT TO THAT.

The couple attempts I made I think I bailed because it felt like I was trespassing.

Google Maps makes it look like you can hop right on those power lines from Brooklake Rd, at the corner of Delbarton. I'm sure you can access it from there, and it looks like there are other access points, but you may have to cut through yards for some of them. The power lines have a gate that you can see from 24 which always seems to be open, and I always wondered if it went anywhere. I also drive under that abandoned bridge several times a week and never knew it was abandoned. Now I must explore it.

http://theweirdusmessageboard.yuku.com/topic/1137/abanonded-highway-in-morris-county#.V7XEfaBVhBc

Back
Top Bottom