Music

It comes as no surprise that Greg Allman died yesterday, years of drugs and alcohol eventually did him in. Still he made it to 69, not bad.

I bought this album at a flea market in 78, or 79? Then I got the CD when in college, 85 or 86? Not really 80s music but good music never goes out of style.

This is my favorite Allmans album. Yeah Fillmore East is a classic and there first album is right on however Brothers & Sisters is Greg's best work imo. Even with Dicky Betts putting some of his pop crappy cowboy stuff on the album, Greg's vocals are so powerful. After the death of Duane and his revered slide guitar Greg continues to move on and hone his vocals to combine gospel, rythem and blues with his distinct voice.

As the 80's came Greg began to slide. The lifestyle he lived made it harder for him to keep it together. Yes, he continued to put out material but the 70s where gone and so was his heyday.

20170529_152734.jpg

Heartless powers try to tell us what to think
If the spirit's sleeping, then the flesh is ink, yeah
History's page, it is thusly carved in stone
The future's here, we are it, we are on our own
On our own. On our own. On our own.

so normally i dont ride with music because im only riding an hour at a time, but this weekend i was able to wake up early because of kid and get out for 3 hours. i decided to experiment with music/genre i wouldnt normally think about riding with, and it worked out really well:

Received a txt today that took me back to the house music days... 97-2004

RIP DJ MIke

@robw

Possibly an all time fav

tenor.gif

I know, I know...wrong thread to post but check out my new signature.....
Another &%$#%& gig got canceled yesterday due to weather. It's been a tough season. Anyway, stayed in and worked up an old John Scofield tune on pedal steel. Made lemonade out of lemons.
Also, my Grateful Dead band is playing this Sunday night at 7 pm at the Long Branch band shell on Brighton by Ocean Ave, Surf Taco. I know most are at Stewart but come if around. Thanks

Nice work @MMuller . I love the pedal steel, you can feel its roots in country music but it blends well into many variations.
I've really been digging Dan Auerbach's new solo work, way different then his Black Keys stuff. He has his hands in a lot of music lately and is just so damn talented.
Dan was born in 79 but his new album Waiting on a Song is so rooted in the 70's, his band is all old guys which is good to see. Any way if you were born in the 70's and or you like good music then this album will strike a chord.
Mark, I thought of you when I saw the mandolin. Cheers

So a buddy of mine went to a Tom Petty concert in Baltimore this past weekend and when he told me about it, it got us started on a conversation about TPRD (Tom Petty Rhyming Disease), a career-long ailment characterized by songs with lyrics resembling what a grade school student who forgot to do his homework for English class might turn out while desperately trying to put something down on paper during homeroom. Another way of characterizing it would be that I've been convinced ever since the first time I heard one of his songs that whenever it comes time to record his songs just before walking in the studio Mr. Petty pretends to have stomach issues and runs to the bathroom and then quickly scribbles whatever rhymes pop into his head on a piece of toilet paper and then uses these as lyrics for the songs he writes. Classic examples of TPRD in action would be "You Wreck Me" (I'll be the boy in the corduroy pants ... you be the girl at the high school dance ) and pretty much every fucking line in "Into the Great Wide Open" (e.g., the line with "chains that would jingle ..." or the line with "a roadie named Bart". Sweet merciful shitballs, that song's lyrics suck!) So we were coming up with non-Tom Petty examples of TPRD and I think the best I could come up with was from Pete Droge on the Dumb and Dumber soundtrack in a song called "If you don't love me" - he basically out-Pettys Tom Petty on that song. So, anyone have any other examples?

Reactions: rlb
So, anyone have any other examples?

As I'm reading your post I'm waiting for you to shift the discussion onto Dan Auerbach. I hate TPRD (though never did notice it with TP before, gonna have to re-visit) but for some reason Dan Auerbach's rhymes don't seem so lame. Well, yes they're lame and grade-school but they make sense. It took me a long time to accept.

Black Keys - Strange Desire:
I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you,
And a young man's,
Gonna make mistakes,
Till he hits the brakes,

My heart's on fire,
With a strange desire,

All those birds,
On the wire,
Are gonna say I'm a liar,
But we all know,
In the end,
They never were my friend,

My heart's on fire,
With a strange desire.

It's all in the delivery, if you like a musicians style you can get past tprd.

I'm not a TP fan, because I don't like his voice and style.

I've been really appreciating Paul Simons, Graceland lately. I like his style and this album reminds me of college. A bunch of us took a road trip to VT in the late 80s and someone had this cassette in the car. Good times.
R-940123-1175241833.jpeg.jpg

As I'm reading your post I'm waiting for you to shift the discussion onto Dan Auerbach. I hate TPRD (though never did notice it with TP before, gonna have to re-visit) but for some reason Dan Auerbach's rhymes don't seem so lame. Well, yes they're lame and grade-school but they make sense. It took me a long time to accept.

That's a great example. I've never really listened to the Black Keys before so I'd have never thought of this. The only thing I'm really familiar with about that band is that really funny story about how they were chosen to induct Steve Miller in the RnR HOF and they said in an interview later that they were really excited because they were big fans but he was just a major prick when they met him. For some reason that story just cracked me up.

That's a great example. I've never really listened to the Black Keys before so I'd have never thought of this. The only thing I'm really familiar with about that band is that really funny story about how they were chosen to induct Steve Miller in the RnR HOF and they said in an interview later that they were really excited because they were big fans but he was just a major prick when they met him. For some reason that story just cracked me up.

Pretty funny, never heard that story. I liked them for a while but their last few albums haven't done it for me. I still listen to plenty of the older stuff via Pandora

Back
Top Bottom