Inexpensive Road Bikes

Biker Dude

I'm in the market for a $400 - $900 road bike and am wondering if anyone can offer a recommendation in this price range. I have read great reviews on the Giant Defy 3, the Vilano Forza 4.0 and the GT GTR Series 2.

Any recommendations from real riders will be a great help.

Thank you.

Out of those 3, I would pick the Giant. only because I've never heard of Vilano and GT is... GT?

Giant Defy hands down. I rode the predecessor to the Defy and it was a great entry level bike. Giant is good with trickle down technology so the frame is great to ride and upgrade the parts over time.

+1 on the Defy. Great gateway road bike. Relaxed geometry, and good value for the $

$700-900 gets you a really decent used road bike. I'm certain I could find a <$900 CAAD 9 or 10 on that auction site in my size at this very moment that I wouldn't hesitate to race crits on. Used is always going to be the best bang-for-buck if you are inclined to go that route. The difference between a 105 or Rival spec'd bike with some nice wheels will be noticeable compared to the Sora or below bikes you find in that range with boat anchor wheels. Not that there's anything wrong with SORA level stuff...it works and is simple to use & maintain.

If you want or need more hand holding to figure out what size you need or how to dial in fit it's hard to go wrong with any road bike from a name brand company at your local bike shop. A good shop will spend a considerable amount of time making sure the fit is right (saddle height & fore/aft positioning, bar height, stem length, etc...). That alone is worth the price of admission on a new bike at a LBS.

If your goal is not >= A group rides then GT Grade. It accepts wide tires and full length fenders. Disc brakes are nice too.

Last edited:
Not sure what your size is but I was just at Halters and they had a Giant TCX (Cross bike which could double as a road bike) brand new for under 7hundo.. I think it was either a 56 or 58cm.

completely agree with @Delish
some comments on the 3 listed,
- Vilano, buy if you should be riding a hybrid but want to wear mandex on a road bike
- Giant, buy if you would be embarrassed to ride a GT, but I like the LBS support
- GT, buy if you want the better parts, other than fit, would you know that you weren't riding a Giant if you didn't look down?

if considered the GT, also check out the other mail order options (bikesdirect, nashbar, pricepoint)
if the Giant, sure there of similar comps from the competitors

completely agree with @Delish
some comments on the 3 listed,
- Vilano, buy if you should be riding a hybrid but want to wear mandex on a road bike
- Giant, buy if you would be embarrassed to ride a GT, but I like the LBS support
- GT, buy if you want the better parts, other than fit, would you know that you weren't riding a Giant if you didn't look down?

if considered the GT, also check out the other mail order options (bikesdirect, nashbar, pricepoint)
if the Giant, sure there of similar comps from the competitors

Halter's carries the GT grade. No need for mail order purchase.

A lot of good info here. My 2 cents is you go the used route. My reason being is that you simply get better stuff for your price range. I bought my 1st road bike a lil while ago and in your range new you simply don't get a lot, I was in the same price range. Your range you're looking at sora/tiagra new, and to step up to 105 you're looking at around 1300/1500 new. Now you can read millions of posts on the differences but when I was looking my logic was to buy used to get 105/ultegra. You can find a 2010/ 2011 aluminum frame with 105/ultegra in your range for sure. Just to brag I found a 2011 fuji roubaix 1.0 with cateye, upgraded cranks, 105 threw out and 2 sets of wheels, one being profile design 38's for 750. Mind you this was January and I drove an hour in the snow. It'll be a lil harder to find that deal this time of year but if you look....ALSO be prepared to spend a lil more if used, I was dumb and bought a 58cm, I had to buy a new stem to fit, bought new seat, and an ultegra cassette for the 38s and but the 105 on my indoor wheels, skewers, pedals, 2 sets of tires. But I knew what I was getting into. I hope this was Atleast remotely helpful. A 2012 bike is pretty much going to have the same tech as a 2015. I vote go used. Goodluck my friend.

I ended up with a hybrid Trek FX 7.2. I was coming out of a 2009 7.1 that was indestructible so I felt comfortable. I was afraid to pull the trigger on a 'road bike' as I really like the way my back feels after a long ride on a mountain bike type set up. Thank you everyone who responded.

Are there any other websites for used bikes other than craigslist or ebay?
Looking for a road bike in 54 for about $400-600

Back
Top Bottom