imperial stout final 4 to start this Monday March 30!!!!

see @jmanic founders is better
what @pooriggy ggy said - our group went 4-0 with the founders.

photo_zps3d8784fb.jpg

...I say.

(Edit: thanks to @soundz for making this reply possible)

Last edited:
I've had the Heresy. Off the top of my head and without a side by side match up I'm gonna say the Weyerbacher does not come together like Tenfidy of Founders. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed drinking Heresy but think it would get edged out by the two stouts mentioned. It leaves a bit of dry chalkiness in the finish, which some may like however I found it a bit too edgy.

I've had the Heresy. Off the top of my head and without a side by side match up I'm gonna say the Weyerbacher does not come together like Tenfidy of Founders. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed drinking Heresy but think it would get edged out by the two stouts mentioned. It leaves a bit of dry chalkiness in the finish, which some may like however I found it a bit too edgy.

I can't even remember what it tastes like. I may need to start trying less beers.

(#1) Ten FIDY by Oskar blues breweries
vs.

(#4) Victory storm king

Winner: ten fidy and it wasn't even close.

This is what makes these contests interesting. Storm king is a very highly rated beer and by itself it's great. But when you compare it beer-to-beer to the ten fidy it just does t measure up ....unfortunately kinda like Msu vs duke right now :(

Looks like we are heading for a founders vs ten fidy final. Should be good!!

Ok. So we had two blow outs: ten fidy and founders both win big.

Should make for a G8 finals. Both are outstanding.

Can founders unseat TenFidy?!?!

Drink and decide....

Finals:

(#1) Ten FIDY by Oskar blues breweries(http://brew.oskarblues.com/ob-beers/seasonals/ten-fidy/

vs.

(#2) Founders imperial stout(http://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/imperial-stout/)

.....and should you chose to do the consolation game (should be a good matchup as well):

(#3) Old Rasputin by north coast brewing co(http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/beer-rasputin.htm)

Vs

(#4) Victory storm king(http://www.victorybeer.com/beers/stormking/)

So, Tuesday night.
Stout contest.
Jimmy comes out and wrecks the joint.
photo_zpsa9f7f1a2.jpg

Getting to be a regular thing.

So, founders v ten Fidy. Liked founders more in this match up, but I'll still vote ten Fidy.
Victory v Rasputin. No disputin' Rasputin. FTW.
Plus it looks like @AndyJ on the label.

The consolation prize goes to @AndyJ

andyj2.jpg andyj1.jpg

I can't really even remember why I liked @AndyJ better than Storm King, but I'm pretty sure it tasted better.

The championship belt goes to Founders Imperial Stout. I was quite surprised because going into the final round, I was almost sure I was going to vote Ten Fidy, but when I tasted them side by side, they actually had a similar thick manly kind of taste, but Founder had a more bold taste going in and a smoother aftertaste. Founders FTW.

Disclaimer: I must say that if I just had to have a beer by itself, it might be Ten Fidy.

no consolation round here....just for the championship....

of the 4 imbibers......3 chose ten-fidy, 1 founders.

that was an excellent group of beer, and i now have some extra left over, and it is baseball season! That works out.

I'm not touching those previous comments. :eek:

for the win: founders

found both equally complex and tasty but found the founders to be more enjoyable and drinkable. founders win.

I'll prolly get to my finals this weekend. Mark voted for Founders, I'll have to re-read the posts from those other guys to figure out what they voted for.

DSCF3602.JPG

So here we are, at the finals. I'm glad Mark put this contest together, I have a new favorite stout.

At this level of quality it comes down to personal preference. The Founders has traditional flavor found in a stout, roasted coffee with a dark chocolate finish and a hint of cherry on the tongue. While Oscar Blues serves up something rather unique in its brew. At first sip the carbonation is moderate, similar to Founders but then it goes to a very complex taste, almost wine like intensity. There are no rough edges, it all comes together in a spicy black licorice finish. I found the founders flavors to compete with each other somewhat, however Tenfidy's complex flavors came together harmoniously.

Some may prefer the familiarity of the Founders Stout however I really enjoyed the complexity and smoothness of Oscar Blues TenFidy. Oscar Blues for the win.

View attachment 20571

I'm glad Mark put this contest together.

My pleasure. Selfishly I chose imperial stouts since I wasn't too familiar with stouts and wanted to try and compare some of the better ones out there. Glad i did since i really liked the finalists a lot.

And liked your write ups iggy. Enjoyably descriptive and accurate. For someone with somewhat discerning taste in beer my beer tasting vocab doesn't go too far beyond "it's yummy!!"

this was very educational!

only problem is downing a couple of the 12% brews, which hide it incredibly well, can lead to PWI (posting while intoxicated) - hopefully i've deleted all of the nonsensical, or offending ones.

looking forward to next year! (or the summer ale contest!)

View attachment 20571

So here we are, at the finals. I'm glad Mark put this contest together, I have a new favorite stout.

At this level of quality it comes down to personal preference. The Founders has traditional flavor found in a stout, roasted coffee with a dark chocolate finish and a hint of cherry on the tongue. While Oscar Blues serves up something rather unique in its brew. At first sip the carbonation is moderate, similar to Founders but then it goes to a very complex taste, almost wine like intensity. There are no rough edges, it all comes together in a spicy black licorice finish. I found the founders flavors to compete with each other somewhat, however Tenfidy's complex flavors came together harmoniously.

Some may prefer the familiarity of the Founders Stout however I really enjoyed the complexity and smoothness of Oscar Blues TenFidy. Oscar Blues for the win.

So I tried the ten fidy based on all the reviews here. I was skeptical but you guys nailed this one - great stout.

Back
Top Bottom