I tried flat pedals yesterday

my feet have always been fine in my summer shoes down to the teens, as long as they stay dry!, and that is the key to me, i bought the winter boots for the waterproofing more than anything else, shoe covers just didnt cut it in the snow, it would get packed underneath, melt and that was the end . . .
Snow on the shoes? You stopped pedaling. You’re dead.

Snow on the shoes? You stopped pedaling. You’re dead.

no it does not mean i stopped pedaling, iv caught on snow banks, and rocks and picked up snow that way too, the worst is going through a thinly frozen water crossing and soaking summer shoes that way, the winters keep your feet NICE AND DRY :D

I'm planning to ride at Highland this weekend on the DH bike. With clipless. Mostly because I still haven't found my flat pedals. :p

This thread is no longer about flat pedals...

Why are everyone’s feet so cold? I’ve worn my normal 510 Maltese down in the single digits with some wool socks and I’m fine. Just don’t stop pedaling or you die. My biggest concern is always head and fingers.
I always wear a hat when it gets colder. It helps keep the rest of me warm.

I still feel it's ultimately the pedal gripping the shoe (and why the concave pedal surface is so important). With size 14 feet, I apparently fall outside the target demographic of the shoe rubber "marketing" hype, but I have no trouble with any of my (insert = athletic, hiking, sneaker, casual) shoes slipping pedals.

I was really surprised to see Giro offer a EU50 size, but my feet usually don't fit Euro width.

The wool socks are the key! Get wool socks people if you dont have them.

If anyone needs wool socks, Pactimo has some great ones, in addition to plenty of other great cold weather gear. If anyone needs anything and would like a 30% discount, hit me up with a private message and I can pass you a coupon code.

Tried all sorts of wool socks, but wool has nothing on the wind. I guess if you ride slow then there’s not that much wind to deal with.

The 510’s I have use a very porous material (mesh) in the upper area of the toe box which is fanfuckingtastic in the summer time but once it gets below 45ish... the wind cuts thru the shoe and socks like nothing.

Ordered up the 510’s eps model since the toe box area has what looks like a leatherish material which should do much better on the wind repellent.

Reactions: Tim
In case anyone wanted an update on my flat pedal experiences so far, I can say with about 5 rides under my belt, I am super comfortable and super confident. I feel like my bike handling skills are vastly improving and my climbing abilities have gotten much better due to me not being afraid to try more challenging and technical lines without the fear of tipping over and not getting a foot down. The Catalyst pedals make a super gripy and super stable platform where I feel very planted to the bike even on the chunkiest downhills Hartshorn has to offer.There is something liberating about not being clipped to your bike and simply jumping on and off it at will like a young child all over again. Im super glad I switched over to flats and am looking forward to getting my 510 shoes delivered this week, as the vans feel like my foot has zero protection in the event of any types of trail debris strikes.
I have even been trying out a few parking lot manuals and am kinda getting the movement down I just need to hone in on the sweet spot.

In case anyone wanted an update on my flat pedal experiences so far, I can say with about 5 rides under my belt, I am super comfortable and super confident. I feel like my bike handling skills are vastly improving and my climbing abilities have gotten much better due to me not being afraid to try more challenging and technical lines without the fear of tipping over and not getting a foot down. The Catalyst pedals make a super gripy and super stable platform where I feel very planted to the bike even on the chunkiest downhills Hartshorn has to offer.There is something liberating about not being clipped to your bike and simply jumping on and off it at will like a young child all over again. Im super glad I switched over to flats and am looking forward to getting my 510 shoes delivered this week, as the vans feel like my foot has zero protection in the event of any types of trail debris strikes.
I have even been trying out a few parking lot manuals and am kinda getting the movement down I just need to hone in on the sweet spot.
Amen brother! Keep at it! Should be an improvement with the Five 10's. If you want to try another pedal go with the Raceface Atlas or Aeffect pedals.

Sooo, my experience was a little different than @Dajerseyrat . Lowering the seat did not work for me. I had really bad knee pain in the new riding position. After a lot of trial and error the solution had me raising the seat to the original position but pushing it way forward on the rails and changing the seat angle up a tad. After that it was comfortable pedaling.

35CDE447-6DB0-43D5-9822-78A841629766.jpeg

Confidence boost? No. I don’t turn as well, climb as well, ride drops or logovers as well and you can forget any thoughts of “sending it.”

Oddly enough, it seems I’m way more active with the back half of the bike than I had realized, especially linked rapid turns. I’m sure if I’m willing to relearn these skills I’d be fine, but sorry technique purists, I’m calling shenanigans.

They’re staying on the fatbikes (yes plural) but that’s as far as they’re likely to go.

Sooo, my experience was a little different than @Dajerseyrat . Lowering the seat did not work for me. I had really bad knee pain in the new riding position. After a lot of trial and error the solution had me raising the seat to the original position but pushing it way forward on the rails and changing the seat angle up a tad. After that it was comfortable pedaling.

View attachment 80595

Confidence boost? No. I don’t turn as well, climb as well, ride drops or logovers as well and you can forget any thoughts of “sending it.”

Oddly enough, it seems I’m way more active with the back half of the bike than I had realized, especially linked rapid turns. I’m sure if I’m willing to relearn these skills I’d be fine, but sorry technique purists, I’m calling shenanigans.

They’re staying on the fatbikes (yes plural) but that’s as far as they’re likely to go.
Give it a little time and you will be fine sending it

I sent it as much as I could on the root and rock drop offs at Hartshorn. Very planted...Landing on leaf covered features however, was sketchy..

I rode Harts Wednesday and Thursday this week and the leaves get me too. I just can't seem to get in a comfort zone when the trails are covered in leaves. There were a whole lotta times when I was disappointed after scrubbing off way too much speed and generally just riding like a noob.

Finally got a pair of 510 shoes and what a difference they make over the Vans. The sole is a lot harder and more supportive and they stick to the pedals like glue. In fact, I literally have to lift my foot off the pedals to make any position adjustments. I feel like I'm clipped in almost..And they feel a lot more protective than my vans.

Attachments

• IMG_20181117_145617.jpg
    IMG_20181117_145617.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20181117_145622.jpg
    IMG_20181117_145622.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20181117_145631.jpg
    IMG_20181117_145631.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 89
Back
Top Bottom