Help me pick a new CX/all around bike

Get the S-Works Crux!! Yes it is an all out CX race bike but it's one hell of a lot of fun! Light,nimble and fast. I'm a 63 year old fart and it's without a doubt my all-time favorite.
View attachment 69932
wawaweewa-very-nice-much-excite.jpg

One other thing about the '18 "S-Works Crux" anything larger than 35mm tires degrades the ride quality. It was designed for 33's and that's all you need on this bike, handles sand, mud, snow, grass whatever just fine. On the road pretty close to a Tarmac.

One other thing about the '18 "S-Works Crux" anything larger than 35mm tires degrades the ride quality. It was designed for 33's and that's all you need on this bike, handles sand, mud, snow, grass whatever just fine. On the road pretty close to a Tarmac.
Noted I was thinking I could run 38-40.

anything larger than 35mm tires degrades the ride quality.

Can you explain this?

Do you mean that it makes the bike feel slow or that it effects the handling in a negative way (e.g. larger tire+wheel diameter changes mechanical trail)? In my experience a larger tire improves the ride quality (read: "smoothness") of any bike.

I found it to make the bike a little sluggish and didn't have that snap of acceleration. Smoothness yes but not as good handling as with the 33 rear 35 front I am running.

I found it to make the bike a little sluggish and didn't have that snap of acceleration. Smoothness yes but not as good handling as with the 33 rear 35 front I am running.
As we get older they say you slow down both physically and mentally, I don't want to slow down, I want to go fast! A faster more aggressive bike keeps my muscles and brain working (well sometimes). Nothing better than hitting the trails in the morning drifting the rear out in the corners and bombing a downhill with the rear wheel dancing between you're legs. Smooth and comfy, that's not fun :D

Anyone have a diverge? Checked one out in person and it seems like the best all around bike. Check out the vid. Just not sure how good it is going to be at racing cx? Then again how much does the bike really matter?

Specialized-Diverge-2018-review-test-s-works-22-von-36-1140x760.jpg

If you plan on CX racing you will do a lot better with a bike that is agile, quick steering at lower speeds and also light and quick off the corners and short climbs. Diverge is a great all around/gravel bike. Race bike, the Crux!

Anyone have a diverge? Checked one out in person and it seems like the best all around bike. Check out the vid. Just not sure how good it is going to be at racing cx? Then again how much does the bike really matter?

Specialized-Diverge-2018-review-test-s-works-22-von-36-1140x760.jpg

I wouldn't want to race CX on a bike with 85mm BB drop. That's 1.5 to 2cm lower than mainstream CX race geometry these days...almost 3cm lower than my old Ridley X-Fire.

Only thing I have seen with the new SuperX is they have some fork shutter under hard braking. Besides that good bike.
It is marketed as an all arounder rather than just a cx bike like the crux. The s-works crux is an amazing bike though.

I think I’m going to pick up a super x when they come back in stock. My deciding factor was that the super x is more of an all around bike than cx specific(crux). Still considering switching it up and getting the diverge. T

rying to figure out if i should run a stages with the hollowgram crank or a quarq with steam red.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom