Help me pick a new CX/all around bike

Dairyman

I’m currently riding a cannondale slate which is a really fun bike but heavy and I’m 100% in love with the 650b wheel size.

I want to upgrade to a high end cx bike that I will also use for cx racing, training, singletrack riding and strava segments(lol). Realistically the bike will be used 90% training rather than cx racing. The bike must be able to run 40mm tires. I’m willing to adjust the setup a bit from the stock build (ie gearing). I will also add power either quarq or the new s-works pm.

Current contenders are
1 s-works Crux
2 Santa Cruz stigmata
3 giant tcx advanced pro
4 s-works diverge (not sure about racing with this option)

My gut is telling me go with the crux but it might be too much of a cx race bike and terrible for all around riding.

IMG_9791-2.jpg

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Add the Van Dessel Full Tilt Boogie to your list. It checks all your boxes and can be ordered with virtually any configuration. Plus local company. Also, no proprietary BS.

I spend about as much time on the road, gravel and singletrack on mine and it’s great for all. Middle of the road cx race geo that’s also works well outside the tape.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I’m currently riding a cannondale slate which is a really fun bike but heavy and I’m 100% in love with the 650b wheel size.

I want to upgrade to a high end cx bike that I will also use for cx racing, training, singletrack riding and strava segments(lol). Realistically the bike will be used 90% training rather than cx racing. The bike must be able to run 40mm tires. I’m willing to adjust the setup a bit from the stock build (ie gearing). I will also add power either quarq or the new s-works pm.

Current contenders are
1 s-works Crux
2 Santa Cruz stigmata
3 giant tcx advanced pro
4 s-works diverge (not sure about racing with this option)

My gut is telling me go with the crux but it might be too much of a cx race bike and terrible for all around riding.

IMG_9791-2.jpg
Not fully relavent for cx, but I just built a 3t exploro and it has changed my whole idea of what a drop bar bike can be. I rode 40 miles on the road today on 650 x 47 tires with 28 lbs in them. Talk about smooth!

Matt_

I Get Jokes
I have an 53cm RLT 9, full 11spd Ultegra, with two wheelsets (one gravel one road) that im putting up for sale soon. Very little use, i think the road wheelset has ~200 miles.

Not the RDO though....

mstyer

While I have plenty of great things to say about the Santa Cruz Stigmata, one thing it won't do is fit 650B tires well. It has room for a 700x40c but the chainstays flare inward behind the tire.

1527704982764.png

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Stigmata and RLT are cool looking bikes, but maybe not the best for race day. That being said, you'd probably still kick my ass on either one anyway. Crux is a super light race machine.

I second the VanDessel recommendation.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Think it is better than the ibis Hakka? Specialized advertises it as a cx bike only?

The ibis comes Carbon i9s stock which is really nice and di2

brdw3vs9xc401.jpg
I'm not familiar with the Ibis, but the CrUX is light AF, and
I want to upgrade to a high end cx bike that I will also use for cx racing, training, singletrack riding and strava segments(lol).

Current contenders are
1 s-works Crux

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
All the bikes you are looking at are really damn fine choices. Honestly, the geo and specs are all pretty similar (i.e. ~71.5 head tube, 70mm BB drop +/- 1, similar wheelbase). Some are a bit longer and slacker which seems to be the new trend. In any case, all these bikes are incredibly versatile for CX racing, gravel grinding or everyday road riding...much better than the bike marketing companies would make you think. They need a justification trying to sell you a road risc race bike, a "roubaix" type road bike, and an adventure type road bike, and and a cx race type bike. #iamtoospecialized

Initially the Stigmata was billed more as an adventure-cross bike than a pure race rig but McTubbin sure won a lot of UCI races on his over the past 2 years.

Ultimately, buy the one that makes your toes curl from a bike manufacturer and local shop that will give you the support you need...and the one that puts the wheels in the right place for you.

Di2 is awesome BTW.

Top Bottom