Having trouble keeping tubeless tires inflated

originally skipped this thread due to repeatedly bad experiences with tubeless
started with Nevegals paired with Blunts, tried about 3-4 times with no luck
ran out of Stans, so gave up the project
moved the Nevegals to Azonic Outlaws, but stayed with tubes

Recently got a pair of 2nd hand Stans Olympics and a set of S-works The Captain
going to give another shot in a week or two, which setup would be the best chances for success?
I'm considering the Stan's setup since I don't have tubes in it at the moment

Have used stans tape, gorilla tape but not the ghetto method
Also tried a compressor to set the beads, another fail

I have set-up S-works The Captain and Raven using gorilla tape ghetto method.

In my experience, using the soapy water on outside of bead is the difference maker for success and failure. I think the soapy water is explained and shown in the NoTubes videos.

http://www.notubes.com/help/index.aspx

Also,once the beads are set and the tire is pressurized, I leave it at about the max pressure listed on the particular tire e.g. 60 psi. I leave it overnight and rotate the tire periodically. I leave it flat on one side for 3-6 hours, then flip to other side for the overnight.

I've never had any luck with the Conti's, from getting the beads seated to keeping them inflated. I've had no issues with Kenda or Bontrager tires from mounting to holding air.

The sponging tip above sounds like it would work pretty well, but you can accomplish a similar thing by just jumping extra stans in to the tire and letting it work.

The problem is the coating on the inside of the tire not allowing stans to stick to it as well. The scrubbing washes it off. You could really use anything to clean it but using sealant is easier since you can just leave it in there and not clean up.

Also,once the beads are set and the tire is pressurized, I leave it at about the max pressure listed on the particular tire e.g. 60 psi. I leave it overnight and rotate the tire periodically. I leave it flat on one side for 3-6 hours, then flip to other side for the overnight.

do you leave it flat after rotating overnight, which I assume you mean day two?

originally skipped this thread due to repeatedly bad experiences with tubeless
started with Nevegals paired with Blunts, tried about 3-4 times with no luck
ran out of Stans, so gave up the project
moved the Nevegals to Azonic Outlaws, but stayed with tubes

Recently got a pair of 2nd hand Stans Olympics and a set of S-works The Captain
going to give another shot in a week or two, which setup would be the best chances for success?
I'm considering the Stan's setup since I don't have tubes in it at the moment

Have used stans tape, gorilla tape but not the ghetto method
Also tried a compressor to set the beads, another fail

All the specialized tires I made tubeless were flawless. I would use gorilla or stans tape and you won't have an issue.

OK so unfortunately I couldn't find any Conti Revo sealant locally, so I picked up that big 16 oz bottle of stans. Apparently if they are mixed, it will almost instantly create a solid. Fuck. So now I gotta scrub the insides of the tires clean and dry. I am determined to make this work! Should be getting this done this morning/afternoon, I'll keep everyone updated.

do you leave it flat after rotating overnight, which I assume you mean day two?
For me i do this over about 12-18 hours total.
pressurize to 60 psi, rotate/roll. shake. leave on side 1 for 3-6 hours, then rotate/roll again, then flip to side 2 and leave overnight.

You guys are brave pumping a tubeless tire up to 60psi. I wouldn't go too high for fear of blowing the bead off the rim.

I did that once in my basement, couldn't hear for an hour and my poor dog was scared shitless. The real bonus was cleaning the sealant that was all over the place.

You guys are brave pumping a tubeless tire up to 60psi. I wouldn't go too high for fear of blowing the bead off the rim.

I did that once in my basement, couldn't hear for an hour and my poor dog was scared shitless. The real bonus was cleaning the sealant that was all over the place.

Yup yinz got some balls blowing your tires up to 60psi!

Yup yinz got some balls blowing your tires up to 60psi!

That's just what I have done. The Maxxis Ignitor EXO tires I am currently using are listed as 35-65 psi. It's not like I am using hooklesss rims. My rims are hooked.

One more thing, is to only do what you are comfortable doing. A lot more people on the board are much more experienced than me with tubeless set-ups, so maybe I am not the person to take advise from.

I am no expert either but I have had similar experience as @rlb. I think the rating on the tires may be for use with tubes I dunno. Also when you add soapy water it probably blows off easier.

I know in the case of a stand setup the instructions say not to go over 40. If it doesn't seat by then I drop the pressure back, lots of soapy water, and then pressure back up. Maybe a few bounces to get the head to slide and lock in. After that it is pretty much the same. Leave at pressure, rock, lay flat, flip, and repeat.

OK so a quick update.

I had time to remove both tires. I wiped theven insides and beadso down thoroughly with a rag that was coated in the sealant and reinstalled. both have held air overnight, enough pressure to take a ride at CR. the wipe down method worked without a doubt, and I'm hoping that after riding on them for a but that they will seal completely. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Both. Initially hand pump, but couldn't get the bead to seat on the XK. So I had to make a run to my parents house to use their compressor. Ever since then I've been using nothing but a floor pump, no drama

I use the take them to the shop and pay Jay to do it for me method. I know my limitations.

Back
Top Bottom