Halters Cycles 31/31 Contest. July 2015 $100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day #26 - https://www.strava.com/activities/354798833

Nice long day in the woods. Rode with Steve for 2 loops of 6-Mile before heading off on my own.

11753694_10207214475902176_2206769714865420288_n.jpg

11742786_10207215081117306_7735082233950667593_n.jpg

83 hours / 1,167 miles so far.

Crap, I have some catchin' up to do, I think I have 35 hours for the month. So that's 10 hrs a day riding, 8 hours working. That leaves 6 hours for everything else. I think I can do this.

25/31 - Saturday morning ride on an Halters Urban Assault SS around Forked River

Beautiful morning on the middle fork of the Forked River
IMG_1413.JPG

Barnegat Bay, you got to love the smell of rotting seaweed in the morning, smells like paradise.
IMG_1415.JPG

Completed 26/31 at 6M this morning...All In!

I rode my bike for like an hour and 10 seconds today. The link is out there somewhere,. I'm currently driving to Columbus Ohio and talking to my phone. I took a picture but I can Can't tell my phone to post it. And I can't tell it to post a link. So all you get is this half assed translation of whatever it's saying to you. Because I'm not gonna reread it after I say it. Ohio sucks by the way. It's too far.

I rode my bike for like an hour and 10 seconds today. The link is out there somewhere,. I'm currently driving to Columbus Ohio and talking to my phone. I took a picture but I can Can't tell my phone to post it. And I can't tell it to post a link. So all you get is this half assed translation of whatever it's saying to you. Because I'm not gonna reread it after I say it. Ohio sucks by the way. It's too far.
But I thought "Cleveland Rocks?"

Was pretty tired after the full day at Mountain Creek on Thursday so Friday was an easy one. Saturday I was up early and did a local Essex loop on the road bike. Yesterday was my birthday and the original plan was to ride into the city from Fort Lee. Family was to drop me off and meet me at Chelsea Piers have lunch and hang around for awhile. Well that fell apart quickly due to family dynamics and ended up doing a local MTB ride with my son.

7/24 - https://www.strava.com/activities/353250424
7/25 - https://www.strava.com/activities/353610862
002.JPG

7/26 - https://www.strava.com/activities/354590474
011.JPG

Last edited:
@Santapez is off on a bike tour trying to catch up on some bike riding hours leaving me to fend for myself. Thanks. :/

But i did run into @jimvreeland at six mile yesterday so that partially made up for it.

I'm not in the contest this year but i love hearing about everyone's rides... Congrats on making it this far... And keep it up! Home stretch now!

Be careful, I heard somewhere there were "4 dead in Ohio." I don't know the specifics.

where was I? Friday? I cant remember anymore
Saturday....took the road bike out for I think the 2nd time this month. Wanted to head over the split rock dam for the first time since they reopened it.
https://www.strava.com/activities/353807038

If you have never been through split rock...the road is I would say just passable with 28c tires...its pretty steep in spots, and the gravel/dirt is deep so you are spinning all over.
LS9fEs70vbD6fyalr-dV_TzbG2XUMlH4PHXKzPbksTT7=w405-h720-no

Like this until you get to the dam...which now looks like this
ZOC8aTq0Fp3YJp5XqMzoo8DpcvI0IfgRMZX4uPKKmjc6=w405-h720-no

Quite hilarious to go from barely passable gravel, to a brand new road with a traffic light and fancy lamps. this is why I fucking hate paying taxes....3 traffic lights and two lamps on each side for a crossing in the middle of nowhere...this is brilliant.

Sunday me kirt iggy, woody and clapp started at TOS for a loop. We checked out the progress on white...Mad props to @pixychick @JR Zano and the ringwood trail crew....What is there now...Kirt and I rode down it at a pretty good pace and it took 8+ minutes....Amazingly fun! Thanks for all of your hard work, really great piece of trails.
https://www.strava.com/activities/354552870

Home stretch now!
So....Saturday, who is up for the ice cream ride to Halters?
Meet at canal lot at 6M (about 10?), ride canal path up, then hop on street to halters, then we all get ice cream at Tom's sweet shop? I know a few posted they were interested.
I would say we could do it friday, but @rlb has his thing in the morning. And some participating in this work late. So figured Saturday was easiest for everyone.
If you are interested, shoot me a pm. I thought this was a nice way for those of us that successfully finish this to meet and stop in at Halters and thank him for the experience.

If no one wants to join me, I will most likely make other plans.

where was I? Friday? I cant remember anymore
Saturday....took the road bike out for I think the 2nd time this month. Wanted to head over the split rock dam for the first time since they reopened it.
https://www.strava.com/activities/353807038

If you have never been through split rock...the road is I would say just passable with 28c tires...its pretty steep in spots, and the gravel/dirt is deep so you are spinning all over.
LS9fEs70vbD6fyalr-dV_TzbG2XUMlH4PHXKzPbksTT7=w405-h720-no

Like this until you get to the dam...which now looks like this
ZOC8aTq0Fp3YJp5XqMzoo8DpcvI0IfgRMZX4uPKKmjc6=w405-h720-no

Quite hilarious to go from barely passable gravel, to a brand new road with a traffic light and fancy lamps. this is why I fucking hate paying taxes....3 traffic lights and two lamps on each side for a crossing in the middle of nowhere...this is brilliant.

Sunday me kirt iggy, woody and clapp started at TOS for a loop. We checked out the progress on white...Mad props to @pixychick @JR Zano and the ringwood trail crew....What is there now...Kirt and I rode down it at a pretty good pace and it took 8+ minutes....Amazingly fun! Thanks for all of your hard work, really great piece of trails.
https://www.strava.com/activities/354552870

I actually spoke with the guy in charge of this. I don't recall who funded it but it was a United Water project. They did investigate going to 2 lanes but it would have been a huge increase in cost.
If I had to guess, Jersey City paid for a big chunk of this. I doubt all, since it's a public roadway. Jersey City did also just donate the land around the reservoir to Morris County so that it can be used publicly and is no longer private property.
Is it all paved now? I hated cutting through there. The first time I ever did it I got a flat. I did it once after and didn't die but I hate going that way.

I actually spoke with the guy in charge of this. I don't recall who funded it but it was a United Water project. They did investigate going to 2 lanes but it would have been a huge increase in cost.
If I had to guess, Jersey City paid for a big chunk of this. I doubt all, since it's a public roadway. Jersey City did also just donate the land around the reservoir to Morris County so that it can be used publicly and is no longer private property.
Is it all paved now? I hated cutting through there. The first time I ever did it I got a flat. I did it once after and didn't die but I hate going that way.

No, just the dam is paved...leading up to the dam in either direction is the same old beat up gravel....which is why I fould this so silly. Maybe they are going to pave the rest of split rock road? not sure, but I doubt it.

No, just the dam is paved...leading up to the dam in either direction is the same old beat up gravel....which is why I fould this so silly. Maybe they are going to pave the rest of split rock road? not sure, but I doubt it.

I think Jersey city actually just paid for it then as part of their dam restoration.
I don't think they ever even use that water. We have such a plethora or water in nj. Water usage is down sooooo much since thins infrastructure went in 100 years ago.

Home stretch now!
Meet at canal lot at 6M (about 10?), ride canal path up, then hop on street to halters, then we all get ice cream at Tom's sweet shop? I know a few posted they were interested.
I would say we could do it friday, but @rlb has his thing in the morning. And some participating in this work late. So figured Saturday was easiest for everyone.
If you are interested, shoot me a pm. I thought this was a nice way for those of us that successfully finish this to meet and stop in at Halters and thank him for the experience.

If no one wants to join me, I will most likely make other plans.

No big deal if Friday AM works out better for you, I won't take it as a jab! Not sure if I can do Saturday for ice cream.

No big deal if Friday AM works out better for you, I won't take it as a jab! Not sure if I can do Saturday for ice cream.
Saturday is better for the ride to Halter's since that's also the first day to present your results and pick up the certificate. I might be able to join in on Saturday morning... I'll let you know if I can make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom