Going to Hartshorne for first time. Suggestions??

johnnyrides

Hi all,

A buddy and I want to go to Hartshorne for the first time most likely this Sunday. We've only been mtb'ing for all of about 2 months so we're pretty new but fairly game. Been to 6 mile several times and to Lewis Morris once.

Any suggestions for a good starting point and trail combo for a couple of beginner/intermediates with new bikes (I just got a Giant Trance 2). Was looking at the map and it looks like the Buttermilk Valley trailhead may be a good place to start and then ride the Laurel Ridge trail.

How is the Grand Tour trail?

Any thoughts that might help us.

Thanks.

Buttermilk is a good starting point. Laurel ridge and grand tour are both good trails and very smiliar. Rocky point is slightly more difficult.

Overall, the park is quite similar to Lewis Morris. Perhaps a bit smoother (fewer chatter-inducing roots and rocks) and you might find the hills shorter but punchier (steeper)

Not sure how many miles you are looking to do but a good intro to hartshorne would be as follows:

- go left out of the parking lot up the fire road, taking the fire road up the big hill

- at the top of the fire road hill make a right (at the wooden bench) onto grand tour.

- do grand tour clockwise (after the uphill rock garden make sure to take a left to stay on grand tour- there's a little double log over right there)

- continue on grand tour going clockwise to the t-intersection at the end of the hill.

- go left at the T. This is laurel ridge.

- ride laurel ridge clockwise back to parking lot.

Maybe that is 8 miles?

If you want more miles - take the connector to rocky point - look at the map (it's a left off of grand tour and is a switchback hill)

http://www.monmouthcountyparks.com/documents/130/Hartshorne_map.pdf

Last edited:
Buttermilk is a good starting point. Laurel ridge and grand tour are both good trails and very smiliar. Rocky point is slightly more difficult.

Overall, the park is quite similar to Lewis Morris. Perhaps a bit smoother (fewer chatter-inducing roots and rocks) and you might find the hills shorter but punchier (steeper)

Kinda hard to get lost so just explore. If you do get lost the park is crowded so you'll soon run into someone to ask for directions. Or just look for the fire road which leads right back to the lot.

Lastly, just keep in mind that the park is heavily used (bikers, hikers, moms pushing jog strollers) so just keep an eye out for others.

How long of a ride are you looking to do?

Thanks. We typically do 6-8 miles each time out.

Thanks. Much appreciated. Will let you know how it goes for us two 50 yo's. Look forward to it.

Have no idea if the trail markings are good.

But these directions should suffice.

Just remember that on grand tour to keep going straight at intersections... Until you make that left after the rock garden (you can't miss the log over to your left).

Then once you make the left onto laurel ridge at the T you just stay on that trail al the way back

Thanks. Maybe do it twice or tool around on some other trails we see.

How were the conditions there?

Conditions were fine. A bit damp but fine.

Doubling back and doing it backwards would work. Or (if not up for full 10) just go back and laurel ridge counter-clockwise (that should get you to about 8)

I just noticed that the PDF map link that was posted is missing the "foot traffic only" designation on Kings Hollow and Candlestick. That one might be older... the one currently linked from the park's site does have the designation, and also includes the trail mileage. (That PDF is what you'll find in the printed maps available at the trailhead).

As was mentioned earlier, you could include Rocky Point Trail in the mix while you're over at the east side of the park. There are two points where you can bail onto Battery Loop if you've had enough. I've only been mountain biking for a few months, and while that seems like the most difficult trail to me, I can still make it through relatively unscathed.

I'll likely be there sometime tomorrow afternoon, so perhaps we'll cross paths.

Ride yesterday. A bit slippery under some of those leaves but all in all. Prime riding conditions today, I'll be out there today

Not sure how many miles you are looking to do but a good intro to hartshorne would be as follows:

- go left out of the parking lot up the fire road, taking the fire road up the big hill

- at the top of the fire road hill make a right (at the wooden bench) onto grand tour.

- do grand tour clockwise (after the uphill rock garden make sure to take a left to stay on grand tour- there's a little double log over right there)

- continue on grand tour going clockwise to the t-intersection at the end of the hill.

- go left at the T. This is laurel ridge.

- ride laurel ridge clockwise back to parking lot.

Maybe that is 8 miles?

If you want more miles - take the connector to rocky point - look at the map (it's a left off of grand tour and is a switchback hill)

http://www.monmouthcountyparks.com/documents/130/Hartshorne_map.pdf

Thanks for the details. I haven't been here yet and am hoping to get there soon!

Conditions were fine. A bit damp but fine.

Doubling back and doing it backwards would work. Or (if not up for full 10) just go back and laurel ridge counter-clockwise (that should get you to about 8)

Got there today a bit before 10. Conditions were great. Some tough climbs and we had a few times where we got gassed. Really liked the trail variety and will definitely be back. Lots of people out today. The link below shows the route we took.

Thanks for all the help.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/2849517

View attachment 18464
Here's my normal Hartshorne/Huber Woods loop. I ride it non-stop my best time is 1:38.
Look for the ECOSHRED Sprinter van, that's me. I'm there a lot.

Attachments

• HARTSHORNE HUBER.JPG
    HARTSHORNE HUBER.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions