girl on a fat bike

qclabrat

Hi ladies,
I'm a dad looking to get the next sized bike for my 14 yr daughter who is currently riding an XS hardtail mt bike. She is about 5'5" and of course still growing. Thinking of getting her a small fat bike as a replacement.

Are there any fat riders out there who can weigh in? (sorry no pun intended) I'm not sure if she will feel awkward with the extra volume tires, though she does have high volume tires on her bike now, think they 2.2s. Also the added weight is a concern. I am looking at entry level (sub $800) bikes as she not a much of a fan of riding, though we do go out together a few times a month and she is getting cramped in her current bike. Even a Mongoose Dolomite isn't out of the mix for now.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

My wife is 5'5"-5'6" and liked riding a medium mukluk.... so height wise you're probably good. Being that height at 14 and still growing, you might want to re-think the XS frame IMO.

The asterisk in my post is that my wife also has extremely strong legs so larger tires didn't phase her one bit. If your daughter isn't excited about riding, isn't very strong, and isn't excited about riding a fat bike, I don't see a reason to get one (unless you get her a medium that you can also fit on ;)). In my wife's case, she was intrigued so much by the fat bike it made her enjoy riding more... win-win.

B+ are here
more options coming.
it will be all the rage...
MO of course but been known to be right more often...

My wife is 5'5"-5'6" and liked riding a medium mukluk.... so height wise you're probably good. Being that height at 14 and still growing, you might want to re-think the XS frame IMO.

The asterisk in my post is that my wife also has extremely strong legs so larger tires didn't phase her one bit. If your daughter isn't excited about riding, isn't very strong, and isn't excited about riding a fat bike, I don't see a reason to get one (unless you get her a medium that you can also fit on ;)). In my wife's case, she was intrigued so much by the fat bike it made her enjoy riding more... win-win.
I was thinking small frame not XS, also didn't consider leg strength, does it taking much more to get going on one? She is a bit weak and fragile and not an athlete.

Another thing is perception, I'm not sure whether she'll think its goofy. She already thinks bikes are a bit goofy anyways. But teens always look to trends and I'm hoping she'll what to ride more if she gets some attention when we are out riding.

Lastly, the medium scenario did cross my mind, if in serious consideration, I'd be buying her a medium Borealis with a very short stem and a zero setback post;)

Ah sorry, misread the original post about frame size.

It doesn't take much more to get them rolling, but it does take more. For avid bike riders, the "more" part is minimal.... anyone who's ever jumped on my bike for a test ride first notices how much easier it is to pedal than they expected. But I built a light bike, light wheelset, and it's being test ridden by riders with developed leg muscles. For a sub $800 bike you're going to have heavy wheels/tires/tubes. Combine that with undeveloped/weak legs and I could see pedaling being a deterrent. So really your best option is a Borealis with carbon wheels in size medium :D

Not sure if this is serious or not. If it is...

I don't understand the need to buy your daughter a fat bike. I'm actually not sure of the need to buy one at all, unless you are riding them in the snow, or on the beach. I still don't understand the whole riding a fat bike in normal conditions on a normal trail, but that's a whole different topic.

If your daughter isn't interested in biking at all, I wouldn't be spending $800 on a new bike. Especially a fat bike. She will need to work a lot harder to get that heavy bike up any sort of climb. She will not like you. I'm a girl, I know.

Does she normally ride in the woods, road, or tow path? Wondering if you considered a different type of bike style besides a mountain bike specific one.

She definitely should be on a larger bike than an XS. I ride a XS as a 4'11" woman. I'd suggest heading over to a few of your LBS's and having her test ride a few different bikes that are the right fit for her. Fit is key.

This may not help, but I sure hope I changed your mind on the whole fat bike thing.

I still don't understand the whole riding a fat bike in normal conditions on a normal trail, but that's a whole different topic.
How come? Have you ridden one on any conditions? It's a bike, so any riding on a bike is a good thing no?

i have a 14 year old daughter as well, just graduated 8th grade and riding any kind of bike is not in the top 10 of things she would like to do. ive tried bringing her cousins, asking her to ask classmates to organize a group ride, brought her to jorba in the jungle where i DJ'd and was surrounded by everything cool and exciting to biking, even brought her to LBS to see if she would pick out something that she would ride with us even occasionally on any terrain. shes a very smart and sporty girl, class valedictorian and second degree black belt in TKD

bottom line, offer her all the support, and when she wants to then pull the trigger and buy a bike she wants

good luck!

Not sure if this is serious or not. If it is...

I don't understand the need to buy your daughter a fat bike. I'm actually not sure of the need to buy one at all, unless you are riding them in the snow, or on the beach. I still don't understand the whole riding a fat bike in normal conditions on a normal trail, but that's a whole different topic.

If your daughter isn't interested in biking at all, I wouldn't be spending $800 on a new bike. Especially a fat bike. She will need to work a lot harder to get that heavy bike up any sort of climb. She will not like you. I'm a girl, I know.

Does she normally ride in the woods, road, or tow path? Wondering if you considered a different type of bike style besides a mountain bike specific one.

She definitely should be on a larger bike than an XS. I ride a XS as a 4'11" woman. I'd suggest heading over to a few of your LBS's and having her test ride a few different bikes that are the right fit for her. Fit is key.

This may not help, but I sure hope I changed your mind on the whole fat bike thing.

we usually ride on paved and tow paths, the younger one also rides with us, and 6MR is too much for either of them, though they tolerate the Columbia trail and Canal path.
she's also ridden my wife's comfort bike, a retro mixte Univega, but seems more comfortable with straight bars, haven't tried a road bike or skinny tires, as I don't think she'll like the squirrelly feeling compared to the wider mtb tires.

I don't recall seeing any ladies/girls riding fat bikes on the trails this or last year where I've ridden? Are fat bikes perceived as what monster trucks were to guys a few decades ago? (overcompensation of something or not) Just looking to get her out more and if a fat bike helps I'm game. not looking for my teenage daughter to hate me more than she does already if fat bikes will do that

A test ride is probably the best recommendation on the fat bike option, though I don't want to spend anything significant for a bike which will only be ridden a dozen times a year. Hence the Walgoose option for a fatbike for under $300.

on a lighter note, I starting this thread's subject line as "any ladies riding fatties?" wow, glad I proofed it before posting...:eek:

Visit High Gear in sterling, and talk to Caroline... she rocks the fat.
headbang.gif

If you want a fat bike then just go buy yourself a fat bike. Seriously, don't make your poor daughter ride one of those tanks. For 6MR and canal paths I can think of nothing that would extract the joy out of cycling more than an entry level turd of a fat bike.

I was after Pat (my wife) to buy a single MTB for a couple of seasons as an alternative to the tandem. She wanted nothing to do with riding solo. She came across a few Fat Bikes on the trail and told me they looked "interesting". Her interest seemed to grow in spite of me still trying to talk her into a 29 MTB. I tried my best to talk her out of it. I didn't "get it". After a fair amount of discussion I came to my senses and we bought 2 BD Fatties. Notice at this point I got one also so she talked me into it. We rode the beach and in the snow. She felt comfy and always wanted a bit more. So even though we are on the MTB tandem quite a bit we also split trail time on the fatties and both love it. I agree with letting her try a bunch of bikes and pick her favorite. Its your best bet.
Ed and Pat Gifford
the Snot Rocket tandem

Really don't need another bike for myself, the 20 I now have needs to be paired down to under 10 by the end of the year, I'm gonna tough it out another winter on a hardtail

um... did you ask your daughter what she wanted? you state that YOU are thinking of getting her a fat bike... but she's not much of a fan of riding. i think you should ask her what kind of bike she would like to upgrade to... and then LISTEN to her. i also think she should go on some beginner rides WITHOUT you and hang with some other young ladies and women and see how it all goes.

if she's not into biking but just spending time with you, then a fat bike doesn't do anything but waste your money. maybe she just wants to hang with dad but doesn't know any other way than to ride a bike?

Fat bike haters, get lost. I have one and it is a bike. It is as good as a cx bike is for road or trail and everyone thinks that is cool.

I have a size Small fat bike you are welcome to borrow and see what she thinks. As a dad wanting my kids to ride more, I get it.

Back
Top Bottom