girl on a fat bike

Following, as I would love to ride more with my 13 year old! She likes biking when she's finally out there, but her bike is heavy piece of crap and thus hills quickly become a complaint session. The only time she was thrilled was when she was demo-riding an XS carbon pivot at Blue Mountain ... so I know there's still hope (albeit not enough budget). As for me, I learned at 35, on a heavy old GT. Much frustration, injuries and tears until I started riding with other women who explained things and were encouraging. Over time I got better and now I absolutely love to ride anywhere with anyone!

One final thought from me is whatever bike SHE decides on, never blame the bike as a cause of whatever problem she is having. That quickly becomes contagious. Just fix it and encourage her to try again. When she has had enough for the day then pack up and go home( even if its only a half hour). We as adults feel a certain obligation/committment to an activity once we start something, Children do not feel this way. So if she isn't enjoyingherself and sees no enthusiasm (controlled) from you I don't think she will continue.FWIW.
Ed and Pat
tSRt

So I'm guessing bringing a cute 14 year old boy along is out of the question?:rolleyes:

In all seriousness, the more empowered she is in this process, the better the chances (but by no means a guarantee) of success. No one likes things imposed upon them..... Least of all teenagers. 2c.

As a dad to 2 girls, 5 & 7, I really appreciate all the perspective the women and the dads of older girls/young women on this forum have provided. I'm taking notes.

One final thought from me is whatever bike SHE decides on, never blame the bike as a cause of whatever problem she is having. That quickly becomes contagious. Just fix it and encourage her to try again. When she has had enough for the day then pack up and go home( even if its only a half hour). We as adults feel a certain obligation/committment to an activity once we start something, Children do not feel this way. So if she isn't enjoyingherself and sees no enthusiasm (controlled) from you I don't think she will continue.FWIW.
Ed and Pat
tSRt
good point Ed, never has AB complained about a heavy bike
it's usually because she's in the wrong gear and/or limited skills

other than allaire are there other parks to starts kids on?
parts of 6MR would work, but can get crowded and rowdy

thanks for everyone who offered to teach/mentor and others who showed interest in bringing their daughters
I'll be away for most of August then schools start, but will try to get something going in the Fall

Wharton is pretty kid friendly as long as you stay away from the sugar sand spots....

Several sections of Mercer park are too and if it gets to be too much you can bail and ride on the paved paths.

The tow path is kind of pretty and non threatening. You can use the spillways to introduce uneven terrain before committing to trail.

My kids started at the Manasquan Reservoir. Nice 5 mile loop with plenty of changing scenery to keep them entertained, and nothing difficult, but a few nice little hills to test their climbing /braking skills.

other than allaire are there other parks to starts kids on?
parts of 6MR would work, but can get crowded and rowdy

We did 6MR with the kids, twice now: https://app.strava.com/activities/320671471

We went in the afternoon and it wasn't too crowded, but everytime we saw people they were very nice to us. We did not do the twisties with the kids. Yet.

You should also look at the rides @Robin and @SpartaBard do with their MTB camp this summer.

what if my kids gravitate towards road bikes, where you teaching them to ride on the streets?

rutgers seems flat - @Arwen's Mom - what about terrain?
https://www.strava.com/activities/350780754

cheesequake?

Not sure if i mentioned it before - I put a payoff in family rides - ice cream shop, or something.
the columbia trail is good for this - pick a distance from califon, park, ride, enjoy.

good choice, been there with the kids before, High Bridge has good ice cream bribes

cheesequake?

Not sure if i mentioned it before - I put a payoff in family rides - ice cream shop, or something.
the columbia trail is good for this - pick a distance from califon, park, ride, enjoy.
I honestly dont remember rutgers, its been quite a while.

I would say Manasquan is a good start. Then Allaire. If it was me, I would avoid 6M to start. Its different if she is stoked about riding then I would try 6M, but if she is reluctant...
When you take her out, my advice is to tell her that it is ok to walk over something. Encouraging someone to push themselves is good, but go too far and you can drive them away.

Columbia trail would be nice. Very pretty. start at high bridge then ride to that small deli. Get food, and ride back. Would be a nice day.

cheesequake?

Yes, Rutgers Ecological Preserve -- just stay away from the Blue Trail (check the updated map on their website -- the one on mtbnj.com is a bit dated). The other trails at Rutgers are generally smooth and not very hilly. It's been cleaned-up pretty nicely compared to what I remember from several years ago -- and not very far from Warren.

Yes, Rutgers Ecological Preserve -- just stay away from the Blue Trail (check the updated map on their website -- the one on mtbnj.com is a bit dated). The other trails at Rutgers are generally smooth and not very hilly. It's been cleaned-up pretty nicely compared to what I remember from several years ago -- and not very far from Warren.
@Norm maybe we should this out with the kids?

we ride these parks with our campers:

Allaire
6-Mile
Patriots Path/Lewis Morris
Deer Park
Stewart
Clayton
Noxamixon (PA)
Jacobsburg (PA)

@Norm maybe we should this out with the kids?

I've had my son in here a bit when he was younger and most of the trails are totally do-able for kids. I was in there this morning to check out the improvements to the park and it's a fun little spot. It's probably the most kid friendly trail for where you guys are located and at least worth a go. There's a movie theater on campus a parking lot over and an ice cream place so you can make a mini day of it.

Trying this on Sunday
Only have one so less to bribe

Back
Top Bottom