Gas powered bikes?

Most Honda's are bullet proof. You can't go wrong with a Shadow in my opinion.

Last edited:
ah, I'm not a fan of the white. And I need a large helmet. I like that honda I posted before with the flames mainly the paint job, just like that VW commercial. The guys asking if the scooter is fast and the salesguy says, well, its got a lightning bolt on it doesn't it?

What made you change your post? That was all pretty fair stuff you said. Or am I imagining it? :D It kinda echoed what I was thinking, but better. Fair enough though.

Blair:
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/3029979517.html

If you don't, I might, just for giggles. The Bandit could use a friend.;)

I thought it was too wordy. I will repost when I can cut it shorter.

Here it is revamped:

Sport bike:
Pros; best handling, carves turns
Cons; unforgiving, high insurance
Position; feet tucked under butt, wrists on forks

Cruiser:
Pros; relaxed ride, very forgiving
Cons; possible back issues
Position; feet forward, hands outward in the air. Makes for getting butt off the seat (for bumps) not easy.

Dual Sport:
Pros; handle better than a cruiser, but won't carve like a sport, but very responsive. You will be eye level with SUV's.
Cons; Insurance labels them as sport at times. Top heavy. Mtn bikers may give you dirty looks!
Position; very upright, like sitting on a chair. Feet straight down and arms just forward.

Misc thoughts:
The best riders I know started out in dirt bikes.

I hope this helps and other riders with more bikes and experience will chime in with advice for the new rider here.
I've owned Ninja, Virago and VStrom.

Last edited:
I thought it was too wordy. I will repost when I can cut it shorter.

Here it is revamped:

Sport bike:
Pros; best handling, carves turns
Cons; unforgiving, high insurance
Position; feet tucked under butt, wrists on forks

Cruiser:
Pros; relaxed ride, very forgiving
Cons; possible back issues
Position; feet forward, hands outward in the air. Makes for getting butt off the seat (for bumps) not easy.

Dual Sport:
Pros; handle better than a cruiser, but won't carve like a sport, but very responsive. You will be eye level with SUV's.
Cons; Insurance labels them as sport at times. Top heavy. Mtn bikers may give you dirty looks!
Position; very upright, like sitting on a chair. Feet straight down and arms just forward.

Misc thoughts:
The best riders I know started out in dirt bikes.

I hope this helps and other riders with more bikes and experience will chime in with advice for the new rider here.
I've owned Ninja, Virago and VStrom.

That's what I thought you said. :)

Blair, odds are this probably won't be your last bike, so my suggestion would be to find the best buy in the nicest condition, and maybe make color/style a secondary consideration? That way you lose virtually nothing on resale and also get a good feel for a particular type of bike for cheap.
Was that a nice way of saying not to worry so much about the flame job?:D

But I'm not at all picky like that. My last bike was purple. Google "2001 Kawasaki ZR7S". It was hideous, but a screaming deal. I tried not to look at it too much.:D

Look at something like a Vstrom 650 or maybe a fz6 for an idea of what I'm thinking. Honda and Kawasaki both make a 250 sporty beginner bike

If you arent set on what kinda bike you def want, look at the Yamaha Fz6, of the Kawasaki Ninja 650, or Versys I think its called. The 250's are inexpensive and great on gas but as Dave stated, they may not be enough.

I got back on a a motorcycle last summer with my wifes blessings, she came shopping with me and everything. I originally wanted a Ducat Monster 1100 but ended up with a new, leftover Yamaha FZ1. Friggin thing is an animal!

Anyway, the bikes I listed are worth looking at, Ducati also makes a smaller Monster. A 696 I believe.

What's the consensus on mileage. Say for a 2005 or 07 bike, what would be considered too much or does it matter that much? My budget is about 3k so I'm probably looking at a yamaha or honda cruiser 650/750. I'm not a huge fan of the sport bikes and the lower insurance would be a plus. Thanks for all the input, very much appreciated

What's the consensus on mileage. Say for a 2005 or 07 bike, what would be considered too much or does it matter that much? My budget is about 3k so I'm probably looking at a yamaha or honda cruiser 650/750. I'm not a huge fan of the sport bikes and the lower insurance would be a plus. Thanks for all the input, very much appreciated

$3k should get you a decent cruiser. Next set of questions:
Will you be doing you own maintenance? Are you good at turning wrenches and not afraid you change your own tires, oil, brakes?

This is why I ask:
Shaft drive mean less maintenance. Chain means lube every now and then (WITH ENGINE OFF).
Are you set on spoke rims or mags? Mags are easier to keep clean.
Are you tight on space in the garage and need a bike with center stand? Few cruisers have that.

You've narrowed it down to Japanese cruisers, now narrow down the big 4 (Yam, Suz, Honda, Kaw).

Are you set on a type of look (V twin vs inline twin) motor? Go to some dealers and look and sit.

I like low maintenance. Oil I can do and probably brakes but not tires. Unfortunately I only have a one car garage so its either the car or bike. I could probably get a cover and keep it around the side for nice weather. The dealer trip is next step. I'm probably gonna go to motorcycle mall because they have all the brands.

first bike should be a 10+ year old cruiser/standard no larger than 750

DO NOT BUY NEW FOR FIRST BIKE

ride a small beater the first year, you won't lose any money, then when you learn what you really want out of riding and you have significantly more skills you can upgrade to a bike that will lose money(the more you spend the lower the percentage of value you get out of it).

Last edited:
Looks awesome. Of course last sunday I'm driving with the fam on route 23 and come upon two lanes closed, ambulance, multi police cars and a destroyed bike. But the circumstances of the accident are unknown, but involved two sportbikes. So now I'm facing some resistance, but I will be trying out a friends honda shadow in a week.

Stupid+fast bikes=crash, pretty often. I'm often amazed I made it past my twenties unscathed. Fortunately I'd been riding for years by the time I met my wife and she trusts my experience. I did ask her that question once.:D

Just tell the family you'll be super careful and won't do anything silly...
rollie.jpg

Mileage is just a number as long as the bike has been maintained properly. There is a user on gixxer.com that has a Honda 600F4i with 237,000 miles (track and street) without any major motor issues.

User: thirdgenlxi Post #18: http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332448

FWIW, I've had a few bikes that went over 40,000mi without any problems (Honda VFR's).

Good luck and make sure you dress for the slide, not the ride!:D

Before I new Cannondale was around....

Had this baby when I was 19 years old. Along with my 1972 Chevelle S.S. Maybe some day again J, if I ever get kids out of college and my house!
Paid 1800.00 bucks, had about 4000 miles on it.

BOBKE

kaw_778_kz650_b2_blue.jpg

Back
Top Bottom