Gas powered bikes?

Blair

Getting my motorcycle license this weekend. I need some input on brands, styles, reasons for my wife to quit complaining, etc. Or anyone have any for sale? Anyone ride with groups? I like the sportster style but I'm not sure I want to go overboard with a Harley. Plus I heard the maintenance is costly and frequent but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

JerseyPete

Getting my motorcycle license this weekend. I need some input on brands, styles, reasons for my wife to quit complaining, etc. Or anyone have any for sale? Anyone ride with groups? I like the sportster style but I'm not sure I want to go overboard with a Harley. Plus I heard the maintenance is costly and frequent but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

I gather you are taking and passing the MSF course? That is a good thing.
I ride Suzuki DL-650 and work with many HD guys. Their maintenance is not costly and not frequent. HD is a solid product these days.

I don't group ride.

Sit on a bunch of different bikes and see what you feel most confortable with. Try sports, dual sports, sport touring, cruiser, etc. Feel where you feet and hands drop and if you are okay with that.

As to why I chose my bike, my list was:
simple motor, 2 cylinder
water cooled, less heat on my legs
fuel injection, no carbs, no choke, no idle adjust screw to play with.
Up right seat position, easy on my back and wrists.

Good luck with the license.
BTW, everyone is out to kill you. Really.

bigmike

i have always been a fan of honda. i rode a sport bike for a while and beat the crap out of the bike. was not one to keep up on the bike and it still rode strong for years, but sold it when i got married. Wife did not make me, my decision. But like said above see what you are comfortable on, there a so many to choose from. I began looking again and liked some of the Triumps. I stay away from Harley because the are more expensive then most. good luck and ride safe.

Blair

Yes the MSF. I think its a little absurd that they start at 7am. but at least I can get my mtb ride in afterward.

Are there any good places to test ride and/or buy from? I'm looking for something on the cheap so harley's would probably be too much.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
MSF course is great. All the advice here is sound also.
Try not to buy new. Depreciation is a bear and here in the NE most bike get ridden 1-3k per year.
Fuel injection is desireable, but a good deal on a carb bike ain't the worst thing.

There are literally thousands of metric (meaning Honda, Suzuki, Kaw) cruisers out there for cheap. If that's the kinda bike you want, you should find a deal.

Harleys are fine as long as it's new enough, they do hold value well, which is an up and a downside.

DO NOT buy anything old and cheap. Old KZ550's and such can be bought for a few hundred bucks and aren't worth that.

Sportbikes hold their value, but if you don't mind something a little oddball/less desireable, there can be deals.

Every now and then you'll find a demo day, but it's hard to find a dealer that'll let you test drive.

Dude, if you have ANY questions, drop me a line. I'd be willing to go look at a bike with you also if it's not too far away.

And remember to act as if you are essentially invisible. I've been riding on the street and racetrack for 20+ years and (knock on wood) never had an accident. Except for the dozen of so bikes I threw down in my driveway.:D

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you're looking cruiser, here's the kinda thing I was talking about.
Vulcan
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/3023115909.html
Another one...these things are bombproof.
Honda Shadow
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/3022801940.html
HD
This is a steal if it's still around:
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/2966646539.html

Here's what I was thinking of. Incredibly good handling, powerful (enough) do it all bike. Kinda odd looking so it doesn't fit a category but it'll go anywhere you want for cheap.
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/3022263364.html

Last edited:

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
wife advice....

:hmmm:

she should be glad you are riding a motorcycle and not snorting coke, or having affairs, or beating her senseless, and if you do all that, I will pray for you :D

Blair

Dave, those are some great deals. Thanks. I was looking around on craigslist but I didn't see those. I'll let you know if I have any questions. After I ride for 10 plus hours this weekend I'm hoping to have a better idea of what I want.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/690-enduro-r-usa.html

Maybe not the most practical, but something about this bike does it for me.

I started out riding a dual purpose. Those things are stupid fun. The basis for all these adventure tourers nowadays. Ktm has been doing the big thumpers for a long time. Most fun I ever had was a 450smr on the track with slicks on it.

Dave, those are some great deals. Thanks. I was looking around on craigslist but I didn't see those. I'll let you know if I have any questions. After I ride for 10 plus hours this weekend I'm hoping to have a better idea of what I want.

Yeah, get an idea what you're looking for first. You might even encourage me to finally get my bike outta the garage this season. It's a bandit 1200 and you're welcome to check it out but it is on the heavy and powerful side.

Get the class under your belt and see how you feel then. I never took the class but always thought it'd be fun to instruct. You'll get a lot out of it. Have fun and report back!

Blair

So day 1 is done. I had ridden a couple times before but the class is fantastic. I'm definitely going to continue practicing after the whole thing is over to continue getting the muscle memory down. The bike I used had a problem shifting to 2nd so that didn't help but that will be fixed for tomorrow. Also got a 100 on the written test.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So day 1 is done. I had ridden a couple times before but the class is fantastic. I'm definitely going to continue practicing after the whole thing is over to continue getting the muscle memory down. The bike I used had a problem shifting to 2nd so that didn't help but that will be fixed for tomorrow. Also got a 100 on the written test.

Well aren't we just the teachers pet? :D Just busting, glad you're having fun with it! I was thinking of the new style ninja 250 as a great first bike. Also jdog's idea of a dual purpose bike is good, they have a very mtn bike-ish riding position.
But as you said, finish the class, think about what you want to do, then shop. Awesome that you're doing this the right way. ;)

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Ducati monster will be great for picking up chicks once your wife leaves. Its her or the bike, trust me. And be careful, ive seen too many pine boxes in my day.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I got my moto licence 3 years back.

I got it just so I could ride legally on my very offroad worthy KTM.

I rode it a few times on the street and it scared the shit out of me.

People just don't see motos. It is worse that riding my road bike.

My strong recommendation is to get a dual-sport and set it up initially for offroad.

This will teach you in a hurry the outer limits of what a moto can do. You will learn so much about breaking, turning and the limitation of tires in the woods.

Then and only then would I consider riding on the road.

You will end up going through 3-4 bikes anyway before you find the one you will keep.. trust me.

I would get a KTM 450 exc and rip the hell out of it. This is what I cut my teeth on.

j

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I saw a pretty heavy moto / car confrontation on the road today and I thought of this thread.

The car driver was way in the wrong for sure and nearly took out 3 bikes.

Shortly after one of the moto guys ripped down the road followed by a cop car.

It was a total mess.

Be careful out there. Drivers everywhere are doing everything but driving.

Blair

Hey Dave, whats your opinion on the Honda Shadows? Harleys are too much, I've seen a bunch of the honda's on craigslist and they seem to be the most reasonable, 750cc. I also heard the the price break on insurance is 750cc, thats why those Honda's are technically 745cc.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey Dave, whats your opinion on the Honda Shadows? Harleys are too much, I've seen a bunch of the honda's on craigslist and they seem to be the most reasonable, 750cc. I also heard the the price break on insurance is 750cc, thats why those Honda's are technically 745cc.

Unless its been badly abused, just about any newer cruiser type bike will be essentially bulletproof. Just try to find a clean one, even better one with some service records.
Just saw this:
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/3033408737.html

Jdog has some good points, and coincidentally enough thats how I started riding. But if it's not workable here's some thoughts.
Cruisers in the size you're looking at are going to be pretty heavy bikes....
Lemme do this different.
Cruisers:
Good...
Upright seating, short ride comfortable.
Generally not abused.
Low seat height (dunno how tall you are).
Value plummets, great deals used.
Obviously the look you want.
Ok at highway speeds.
Not so good...
Heavy.
Somewhat ponderous handling.
Underbraked and softly suspended for engine size.

Ok. To be square I have something of an anti cruiser bias. I'd probably pick something with a little more brake and handling for a first bike. You want something with a little bit of power to get you out of trouble also. Remember, the big advantages of a bike on the road are acceleration and agility. And as stated, it will likely not be your last bike. But you cold do worse than a mid sized cruiser.

Look at something like a Vstrom 650 or maybe a fz6 for an idea of what I'm thinking. Honda and Kawasaki both make a 250 sporty beginner bike, which I hesitate to recommend as they are fairly anemic.

I'm all over the map here, sorry. Just trying to condense years of thoughts on this subject into something useful. So buy what makes you happy, but keep in mind how important the first bike will be in helping you expand your skills. Again, feel free to get in touch and the offer to look at something with you stands.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was looking at this one. http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/2988043580.html

Where would you go to look at or test drive some? The msf class was on a suzuki 250 and I need something bigger than that. I'm 5'11 also

Looked up specs on that...lighter than I thought, 550 or so. Could be worse. That listing is pretty old, good bike deals go fast on CL. Anyhoo.

You're tall enough that most anything would be ok, so thats good.

Test driving is tough, every now and then a dealer will do a demo day promotion but that's about it. Although the motorcycle industry is currently in the toilet so they might be more willing nowadays. Frankly, even buying used from a dealer is going to hurt, so you are better off private. Just to look and sit on something local though, trebour on rt46 in ledgewood, Hanover power sports on rt.10, Pompton on 23, Tramontin honda is right by allamuchy...:)! Motorcycle mall in Belleville.

Many sellers won't let you ride (you wad it, then leave...) however you could ask that they allow a five or ten minute ride with your cash in their hand. If you wreck it's paid at least.

Top Bottom