Fastest fatty... s-works or trek farley 9.8?

Dairyman

What is the "fastest"(carbon w/ race geo) fat bike for 2017? Must be able to run at least a 34t chainring.

S-works fatboy
Trek farley 9.9
Or...?

Last edited:
Nino Schurter is faster than any of us on any Bike. Get a TI fat bike, unless you are racing, then probably carbon.

Bias----Trek 9.9
IMG_2368.JPG

Bike is fast but the rider is not. 24# pictured, can lose another 2# changing tires

You can run 100mm rims and 5" tires on a Carbon Fatboy. And a 34t ring. You can also run a big setup on the new Carbon Mukluk. Not sure of the widest setup on a Farley9. The Otso is similar to a Beargrease. My friend Charly runs 90mm Nexties with 4" Jumbo Jims on his as the widest combo.

Jim does your vote still go towards the fatboy? Can you buy the s-works frameset and fork separately?

The s-works fatboy is such a nice build other than the "show" wheelset. I wonder if HED has resolved the quality control issues they were having?

The s-works fatboy is such a nice build other than the "show" wheelset. I wonder if HED has resolved the quality control issues they were having?
Not sure but now the Trek 9.9 uses them too. I am partial because I got a deal on the fatboy carbon but I have ridden both. After a year and 1000 miles of riding and racing I love it. The Farley is a good bike too but if you have big feet make sure you don't constantly whack the chainstays like I did. That was part of the reason I bought another bike.

After owning the HED big deals, two sets actually, and putting 3k on them I don't think it is a quality issue. The rims are just meant for true snow racing.

A lot of the NJ crew that had issue with them, including myself had issue with Rock strikes in low snow or no snow conditions. HED was awesome on the warranty end.

Beachwood bikes has a fatboy frame set in stock. You would need to switch your rear hub and seat post for the swap.

I personally wouldn't suggest the HEDS for anything other than snow. S-Works frameset is not available, it's an Expert Carbon as a frameset.

Thinking about building up a fatboy frameset...

Carbon frameset
Possibly bluto
I9s with nextie carbon 85mm?
Next carbon bars post crank
1x11 Xx1 drivetrain 34t
xtr brakeset 180/160
Esi grips
Thomson 100mm stem
S-works saddle

Should be pretty close in weight to the s-works factory build. Unless I add the bluto.

Anyone interested in a built up beargrease XL?

Back
Top Bottom