Fastest fatty... s-works or trek farley 9.8?

Thinking about building up a fatboy frameset...

Carbon frameset
Possibly bluto
I9s with nextie carbon 85mm?
Next carbon bars post crank
1x11 Xx1 drivetrain 34t
xtr brakeset 180/160
Esi grips
Thomson 100mm stem
S-works saddle

Should be pretty close in weight to the s-works factory build. Unless I add the bluto.

Anyone interested in a built up beargrease XL?

I wouldn't get the bluto, no need if you are going to ride 4.6+ tires. Its kinda a shitty fork anyways.
Swap the I9s for Onyx and the XX1 for XTR for a less annoying bike

Thinking about building up a fatboy frameset...

Carbon frameset
Possibly bluto
I9s with nextie carbon 85mm?
Next carbon bars post crank
1x11 Xx1 drivetrain 34t
xtr brakeset 180/160
Esi grips
Thomson 100mm stem
S-works saddle

Should be pretty close in weight to the s-works factory build. Unless I add the bluto.

Anyone interested in a built up beargrease XL?
Raceface next sl g4 crank is quite a bit lighter. Also, sram level ultimate brakes are lighter. I saved a few bucks with a bontrager kovee pro all carbon seat. Tires will be the deal breaker.

I wouldn't get the bluto, no need if you are going to ride 4.6+ tires. Its kinda a shitty fork anyways.
Swap the I9s for Onyx and the XX1 for XTR for a less annoying bike
wren fork isn't perfect but supposedly much plusher and easier to service.

Next sl crank for sure
SRAM guide ultimate check
Haven't compared the weight between xx1 and xtr. I have always preferred sram over shimano drivetrain wise.

I was considering the following for tires.
Jumbo jims
Husker dus
S-works fast trak (if I can find them)

wren fork isn't perfect but supposedly much plusher and easier to service.
But....
Dig deeper, their financial stability basically is already in jeopardy. They could be out of business with no one to warranty their product. The hope is for a larger company to buy them out.

This is the biggest difference in a light or sluggish fat bike.

I swore off weight weenieville way back in 1995 when it all failed until fatbikes, now it's back to game on.

I think rolling resistance is more important than weight. I have used lighter narrower tires that rolled slower.
JJ 4s and fast trax seem to be best here

5" for the snow or just more cushion for the pushin?

Unless you go a true 5" most 4.6-5" are coming in a 4.3" actual on a 80mm rim
5" for snow
Interesting I was not aware of that. 80mm should be sufficient for the amount of snow we get around here?

I didn't have an issue with bulldozers on 80mm last couple years. But I am willing to sacrifice snow performance for dirt performance (although the dozer suck with rolling resistance on the dirt) since there is so little snow riding here. This year I plan to use 4" vanhelgas for the snow . JJ everywhere else. Although I don't need the extra cushion of a 5" tire since I also ride a FS fatty.
Haven't tried Huskers.
@jimvreeland is the best snow tire advice, best fat bike advice too.

Attachments

• tire sizes.pdf
    144.8 KB · Views: 159
I ran the Van Helga on 90mm Nexties 2 seasons ago. That tire is really good in the snow for a 4". I didn't ride them on 65mm rims so I'm not sure how that setup works. Don't base anything on what I ride as my bike is setup for places that have snow.

Back
Top Bottom