Def Leppard / Styx / Tesla Tickets

Speaking of Rush, I went to a Robin Trower concert at the Spectrum in philly in the mid to late 70s. Rush opened for them and no one knew who they were. They practically got booed off the stage!

To quote the great Marcus Miller.. the 70's, that's when folks was makin music!

That was it! My 1st arena tour. Philly Spectrum in Dec? 88. I was the guy with the red pointy-head guitar with aquanet in his hair. I have some video somewhere. Rush was amazing every night.

I saw them in MSG a few days before that (I grew up in Lincroft, so I'd usually head to NYC rather than Philly for concerts if I could only make one), but you would have opened for them there, too. I remember that much. I don't recall the specifics. One thing I do remember is that I would have definitely been there for the opening act -- I used to insist that I make it for all opening acts then because I had a theory that the band opening for them would likely be a band similar to them so I'd probably like them. A few years later, when Vinnie Moore opened for them at the Roll The Bones Tour, that theory went to sh*t. But aside from that one, I rarely haven't liked the opening act at Rush Concerts. Even if I wasn't a big fan of the band itself (e.g., Candlebox in '93-94) I usually felt like they put on a decent performance. So while I don't remember any specifics in this case, I would have enjoyed your show!

I saw them in MSG a few days before that (I grew up in Lincroft, so I'd usually head to NYC rather than Philly for concerts if I could only make one), but you would have opened for them there, too. I remember that much. I don't recall the specifics. One thing I do remember is that I would have definitely been there for the opening act -- I used to insist that I make it for all opening acts then because I had a theory that the band opening for them would likely be a band similar to them so I'd probably like them. A few years later, when Vinnie Moore opened for them at the Roll The Bones Tour, that theory went to sh*t. But aside from that one, I rarely haven't liked the opening act at Rush Concerts. Even if I wasn't a big fan of the band itself (e.g., Candlebox in '93-94) I usually felt like they put on a decent performance. So while I don't remember any specifics in this case, I would have enjoyed your show!

I saw Marillion open for them at Radio City on the Grace Under Pressure tour... poor guys were nearly booed off the stage. But there was something about them I liked.. I forgot about them, then saw a video like a year later and dug into them. Later on I saw them with Rush again at the Byrne (remember when it was that? lol) and by that time Misplaced Childhood had broke so they had a much better reception.. but that really must be tough, I know a read an article where Geddy said he felt terrible that their audience had treated them so bad.

I saw Marillion open for them at Radio City on the Grace Under Pressure tour... poor guys were nearly booed off the stage. But there was something about them I liked.. I forgot about them, then saw a video like a year later and dug into them. Later on I saw them with Rush again at the Byrne (remember when it was that? lol) and by that time Misplaced Childhood had broke so they had a much better reception.. but that really must be tough, I know a read an article where Geddy said he felt terrible that their audience had treated them so bad.

Yeah, I remember reading about that, and it kind of surprised me because I thought they were almost a natural fit for Rush. Both are prog bands whose songs lean toward fantastical themes and both did a lot of unified album stuff over the course of their careers. Rush influenced a lot of the more contemporary prog bands now, which is kind of cool when you consider that a lot of those bands (like Dreamtheater, Spock's Beard, King's X) have a lot more formal training than Rush do.

Back
Top Bottom