Car-spotting thread

You realize those powerglides were sought after by every strip racer to the point that they were put on the almost extinct list. My buddy had 72 nova with power glide. 1st gear to 70mph to second gear lol...

You realize those powerglides were sought after by every strip racer to the point that they were put on the almost extinct list. My buddy had 72 nova with power glide. 1st gear to 70mph to second gear lol...

I had friend with one on a 60 something Tempest. Drove it to school in first gear. Raced it on the weekends.

extinct is a bit of a stretch...they made a billion of them...you can still buy a brand new one right now. Plus after the TH400..really the only people looking for them were people who were making huge power (turbo cars especially)...so they were custom built anyway. They were wonderful when you put them in a car with 400+hp on a drag strip with a high stall converter, everything else...especially 6cyl cars with 100hp, standard torque converter, etc...they were horrific. Reminded me of driving my saturn but only being able to use 2nd and 5th gear.

did someone swap in a v8 (which you could not get originally) and swap out the god awful, horrendous, fucking powerglide transmission?

Appeared to be a small block in there, dual exhaust, it has an automatic and I would hope its not a powerglue... a Turbo 350 or 400 would be nice...

An even newer trans with OD would be even better

My point was back in the 70s every junk yard stripped them out. When my buddy needed to replace his late 70s it took forever to find one and when he did it was over the top expensive.

Powerglides were slugs unless setup for drag racing. i had one in my 66 impala...

When setup correctly, you could make a shit ton of money bracket racing - very consistent.

The first car I can remember is my parents' 62 Chevy II. Straight six and three on the tree.

Their second car was a base-trim 68 Impala with the awful 307/Powerglide combination.

Back
Top Bottom