Belleplain State Forest 2012

the guy who's a** got kicked by a lawnmower last week
I know and understand your pain. *Doc, it hurts when I do this.* *Then don't do that.* :)

Can't make it Saturday. But will try and be out there Sunday to embrace the current BSF sponginess before it packs down. (Its a good flatland substitute for hills :D )

Last edited:
milage

A ride of all three loops measures almost ten miles, with GPS, from/to the Lake Nummy parking lot. Rolling milage might turn out to be a point or two more. BSF staff will be preparing the trail map.

In preparation for the official trail opening, Allen and crew are still out there working on various days, deploying markers, trimming branches and mowing. Send him an email if you can help. :)

Last edited:
Kurt,
Rode Belleplain with Jim on Friday,sponge doesn't begin to describe it,but still had fun and did 10 miles worth of riding. We got more ticks on us standing around so the key is to keep moving! Jim says I gotta put more weight on so it packs faster!

Allen wrote that they will be riding the Belleplain MTB trail tomorrow, Saturday 5/26, to see what else needs to be done. Meet at 8:30 in front of the Belleplain office.

I worked on a logover for about an hour and a half on fri the 25th. Hope everyone appreciates it. Don't ask which one..it was the one that was the best! I was too tired to ride it on Saturday!

I worked on a logover for about an hour and a half on fri the 25th. Hope everyone appreciates it. Don't ask which one..it was the one that was the best! I was too tired to ride it on Saturday!

Have you been able to ride loop 2's Laurel Land and StickFarm sections w/o dabbing or leaning on a tree? woooop wooop! You don't even need to mention that Jim was able to ride them both clean. :D Trying to ride Laurel Land was like trying to ride my bike in a hallway closet... TIGHT!

Riding through those sections without resembling a pinball can only be done by Jim i think. Jim likes to laugh at me and call me a tree frog because of how many trees i grab ahold of. Tight doesnt come close to what those sections are.

thus far they are ALL faster than me, but one day the student will become the teacher! I would feel better if the guy wasn't 70 though!

Conditions update

Out today for a ride before the storms rolled in. Only loop 1 today due to questionable weather and sponginess. Fun layout, but will certainly be much more fun when packed down.

Anyway, thought i'd update that there is a tree down over the trail on loop 1. It is laying about 3ft above the tread with branches and some smaller trees it dropped on between it and the ground, so it required climbing over. This is on the old motorcycle trail between where the single track drops onto it and where the trail comes up near Rte 550.

Approximate coordinates according to google maps are as follows.
39.258588,-74.857434

Keeping you axe sharpened pibbles?:D

Attachments

• IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Tree is now gone thanks to one James Costello and myself. We rode 12+ miles and then cut that sucker up! Noticed that the trail is starting to bed down,lot less spongy! Also noticed that Mega Munchies is closed up! Get your samiches at WAWA.

2nd post, did not notice there was another forum.Just wondering how Belleplain drains.Was thinking of giving this place a try today while I'm down in Stone Harbor with zero sun.Any advice is welcomed.

I posted a response to your question in the other thread too...it is dry out there. The place drains and dries really quick. I rode yesterday morning about 8 hours after the torrential downpours on Saturday night and there was barely any standing water or mud.

thanks dk , sj .Hit it today, was dry but extremely spongey as said in an earlier post.Not sure if this is from the rain or because the 1,2,3 trails are so new.How many miles of old trail are out there for us mountain bikers?Noticed a white trail at some point and a trail head leaving the Lake Nummy area.Kudos to those who built the new trals.

Back
Top Bottom