Belleplain State Forest 2012

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
The SJ Wheelmen have been working with forestry staff on MTB trails at Belleplain Forest. The SJW have a trail work weekend scheduled for April 13, 14 & 15.

I was lucky enough to see the prelims. Three stacked loops, each loop is several clicks over 3 miles. Figure on the first loop being a warmup for the next two loops. (The third loop should turn out to be a charmer. :) )

A.Jax from the SJW has been coordinating. Jim and Walt have been doing the scouting. Some of us from JORBA have been helping out.

If you are interested in helping out, reach out to A.Jax for info. Mojo Bikes, Tuckahoe Bikes, Beacon Cycling or myself can give you contact info.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
There should be some guys from Ceres going to help out here

Thanks! If anyone wants to join the fun, email Allen (A.Jax), aljaxn AT aol com for details.

The last word I have is that we'll be meeting every morning, 8:30 by Belleplain's East Creek Cabin on rt. 347. (Easily reached from rt.55 and the GSP.)

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Hosted and coordinated by the SJWheelmen. Attended by local mtbrs, non-riders, and members of the JORBA chapters from Ceres, Allaire, Wharton and some of the original Estell crew. Work on the Belleplain singletrack is well under way.

A great fun weekend. :)

Last edited:

mike_243

JORBA.ORG
Good to meet Alan and the SJWheelman crew, when this gets done it is going to be a sweet riding spot for sure...

Frank

Sasquatch
Good times indeed! Great people and it will be a fun little park to ride once it packs down a bit.

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
I am spent but happy (no, not that way,.....perv.):D Good to see more riding options for our Southern kin!

dkocnj

I rode East Creek Trail Friday and Saturday evenings. I saw the JORBA trailers at the cabin. I am guessing all the flagging tape is marking your work areas. Will you guys be doing more work out there? I would love to help out if my schedule permits and you could use a hand. I live about 20 minutes from Belleplain.

moray42

Merman
Wish i could have helped out more than just Friday, but had to work the last 2 days. Sounds like i missed most of the crowd. Looking forward to getting to check out the trail i hadn't seen yet:).

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Will you guys be doing more work out there? I would love to help out if my schedule permits and you could use a hand. I live about 20 minutes from Belleplain.

email Allen for upcoming BSF work dates and times.
aljaxn AT aol com
He'll be happy to hear from you.

Sjfxt

Just finished up riding the first two sections today. Pretty rough but seems like a good start to some great trails. The six miles definitely felt more like sixteen. Some of those sections make estell manor look like the AC expressway. Get out there and ride! Trails cant get packed fast enough.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Just a reminder for this coming weekend...
The SJWheelmen are holding their next Trail Work Day Saturday May 5th..meeting at the parks main office @ 8am. They will be working on section 3 of the trail...which will be the most difficult section of trail to ride. JORBA helped build the first 2 sections of trail and did a find job..now the 3rd section needs to be completed. If you have time..please come and meet everyone and help build the trail.

The meet time has been updated to 8:30 am in front of the Belleplain State Forest office (located off of cr. 550, between the towns of Woodbine and Belleplain). Allen is setting the bar high and hoping to finish the remaining 2.5 miles on May 5th. Email Allen for details, aljaxn AT aol com. Hope to see you there!

Added pics of Joe, Terry and Frank working in a BSF stick farm to the BSF Work Crew Album.
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/album.php?albumid=332

Last edited:

dkocnj

I saw hand written sign on the message board at Estell yesterday about the Belleplain trails. How did trail building go this weekend? Any intel available yet on the new trails?

Sjfxt

Heres a description of where it starts and a rough guide to the sections that Al Jackson emailed me.

The trail starts on Champion Road in front of the ballfield pavillion which is just past the parking lot at Lake Nummy.* You should see the flagging.* It follows fire cuts and dirt bike trails for much of the route as section 1 is for beginners.* Section 1 is 3+ miles long and starts off in fire cuts,* crosses in to the woods and then back onto fire cut almost to the propane business after the woods.* You will go close to Cedar Bridge Rd and then back into the woods.* You will come out on a dirt trail, go right and quick left (flagging) and fool around in that triangle piece for bout 1/2 mile before coming onto a broken paved road.**** YOU can go left and return to Lake Nummy or cross the paved road into section 2.* You cross another paved road (cars use this one) and afgter the next section of woods come out on a dirt walkign trail after specnding some time in mountain laurel.* Go left about 50 feet and left again on East Creek Trail heading back towards Lake Nummey.* About 100 yards on that trail you will see 2 trees flagged on your left.* Take that as it is the return route of section 2.** You will cross that paved road again and into a section of woods with pole pine.* Keep going and wventually you will come out on the broken paved road.* Go right to return to Lake NUmmy.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
I saw hand written sign on the message board at Estell yesterday about the Belleplain trails. How did trail building go this weekend? Any intel available yet on the new trails?

The third loop, the one west of Tom Fields Road, was brushed out this past Saturday. All but 3/4 mile was raked. Its all ridable. :) Though still a little spongy.

I have some GPS tracks from January, that I hope to update soon (hopefully by chasing Bill and Jim down the trails). Then sit down with Allen, and maybe use that data to draw up an unofficial map.

The SJW will still be working on the trails in the coming months. Email Allen for details. They will be happy to have some help. ALJAXN at AOL

Last edited:

pibbles

I may try riding Belleplain on Saturday this week and see what/how many log overs need work,before somebody else starts cutting them out.
Bill
the guy who's a** got kicked by a lawnmower last week

dkocnj

OK, I went out to Belleplain late this afternoon and tried out some of the new trail. I started at the pavilion by the ball field and took the trail all the way to East Creek Trail near Cedar Bridge and New Bridge roads. The ditches plowed by the Forest Fire Service road fast otherwise it was slowing going and quite spongy in spots. That last stretch just after crossing New Bridge Rd was quite tight and was kicking my ass. I road a total of 6.25 miles but I feel like I road 26 miles.

Below is the map of my trip. The Red arrow on the map is where I entered the new trail and the red star is where I jumped onto East Creek Trail and headed back to my truck at the Rangers office.

BelleplainMB05082012-2.jpg

Top Bottom