Are people riding in this heat?

I have. On the road it's not too bad as long as you're moving and have a lot of water. On hot days I'll carry three bottles - two on the bike and one in my jersey. Insulated bottles are a god-send on super-hot days. It sucks to buy cold water from a store only to find it hot within 30 min on the bike.

On hot days, you learn to loathe chocolate covered energy bars and eating that gooey mess.

I keep my wallet in a zip-lock bag so it doesn't get soaked in sweat.

Recently I've started wearing a sweatband under my helmet, which helps a lot with keeping sweat off my glasses, which is probably the worst this about riding when it's hot or raining.

Years ago I did a road ride when the heat index was 105. I was riding on a rural road in Bucks above Newtown and I start to hear a random "ticking" sound. After a few minutes I realized it was road tar sticking to my tires.

After riding in super-hot conditions, you don't mind riding in the rain as much. You're just as wet, only it's cooler.

I was considering trying one of these after 3 weeks of riding in Florida. Read a review in Mountain Bike Action magazine on the train ride down. Anyone try this or something similar?

Hyperkewl vest - this dork is giving it a thumbs up

frederik-van-lierde-kewlshirt-w512h512@2x.jpg

http://www.techniche-intl.com/products/techniche-evaporative-cooling-kewlshirttm-tank-tops-6201

i go sleeveless :D

rode open jersey @pearl style the other day (after getting stung). i felt fast with it flapping!

Same as @Ian F - 3 bottles per 2 hour ride. Went for almost 3 today and took a pot stop for ice coffee and seltzer. It was a fantastic ride.

I also avoid those long exposed field climbs on these days. Total death on the real hot ones.

Its a good time of the year to ride at night

When I completed the 3131 back in 2015, it was an epiphany when I started riding first thing in the morning - say 4AM or so. Cooler temps. Pretty much zero traffic. My Nightrider Lumina 700 light is perfectly adequate for moderate road riding. Get my hour in, shower and go to work.

When I completed the 3131 back in 2015, it was an epiphany when I started riding first thing in the morning - say 4AM or so. Cooler temps. Pretty much zero traffic. My Nightrider Lumina 700 light is perfectly adequate for moderate road riding. Get my hour in, shower and go to work.
The higher humidity is a trade off.

For me, the mtb seems much hotter during the day, out of the sun sure but the trees hold in the Humidity longer. I rode at Mercer on monday or tues at lunch and wanted to ride into the lake the whole time.

On the road, the faster you ride, the faster the the air cools you off. Just don't stop, then you die. I rode at 3pm yesterday in an attempt to boil my brain.

Last edited:
Paddled the surfskis 12 miles today @ 6.4 avg. IBSP water temp had to be in the 80's on the bay.
E&P

still doing my lunch rides whenever it doesnt rain, carry a 2 liter camelback for the hour ride(~19-20 miles) and its typically empty or close to it in this heat at the end of the ride.

Back
Top Bottom