6 Hours of Cathedral Pines

I rode by before any ambulances showed up and had no idea it was such a serious injury. It is so sad to hear that he passed away :(

I know he was 53 and his first name was Luis. Looking up the registrants for CP I found Luis Varela registered in cat 3 50+.
RIP

Truly sad.. I was parked relatively close to him and remember seeing a huge smile on his face. My condolences to his family.

As you all may have heard, we lost a member of our cycling family, Luis Varela, who passed away on Tuesday November 22nd. We at SWE have been silent on this matter as we have sought to respect the family’s privacy. We have had the family’s privacy interests in mind throughout this whole ordeal and wanted to meet with them before making a statement. We can assure you all Luis left this world doing what he loved, alongside us all. As fathers ourselves, we hope our sons grow up to be half the man Luis’ son, John is. John will be with us next year, for his first time, to carry on his father’s legacy in the race. We are absolutely honored to hear that. All of our hearts go out to this beautiful family. They have asked us all to see if we can find any photos and/or videos to share that may contain Luis in the race or elsewhere. Luis was also at the 2011 Triple Crown back in October. Someone may have pictures or videos of that too. If you come across anything please don’t hesitate to post that information here. Luis will forever be a part of this race in the future.
The family has asked Jose Hernandez to be the point of contact for any further questions. He is a member of our FB group. We love you all.
.:sWe:.

Healey Pit Crew

The Healey Bros were well taken care of by our Pit Crew (Dad, daughter (mine) and our niece)....

not sure if the picture is going to be uploaded or not!

Attachments

• IMG_1596.jpg
    IMG_1596.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 137
Back
Top Bottom