2016 July 31/31 Contest.. Who's In??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great seeing you guys today @Mitch and @Norm! I was just coming off of a magical VT trip and a drive north to Allaire to ride with good peeps was great medicine for the "back to reality" feelings I was having. I figured Norm wanted a full tour of the sandbox so started out a little "hot". He may have felt gassed but honestly didn't seem it to me until he said "no mas". Animal :D

Thanks Mitch for managing to show me 1 "new to me" trail at Allaire and at least 2 different routes that I have never linked in your direction which will make my trips to wookie-ville much more enjoyable. Allaire is a really special place for me; I rode some of my first true mountain bike rides back there in the late 80's, re-discovered NJ mountain biking there in the early 90's when home on holidays, and was introduced to JORBA there in the early 2000's. I am very thankful for the community we have, and the trails we ride...today was pretty cool.

27/31

https://www.strava.com/activities/655665461
I ride.

IMG_1377 (1).jpg

Great seeing you guys today @Mitch and @Norm! I was just coming off of a magical VT trip and a drive north to Allaire to ride with good peeps was great medicine for the "back to reality" feelings I was having. I figured Norm wanted a full tour of the sandbox so started out a little "hot". He may have felt gassed but honestly didn't seem it to me until he said "no mas". Animal :D

Thanks Mitch for managing to show me 1 "new to me" trail at Allaire and at least 2 different routes that I have never linked in your direction which will make my trips to wookie-ville much more enjoyable. Allaire is a really special place for me; I rode some of my first true mountain bike rides back there in the late 80's, re-discovered NJ mountain biking there in the early 90's when home on holidays, and was introduced to JORBA there in the early 2000's. I am very thankful for the community we have, and the trails we ride...today was pretty cool.

You started out even Hot for me!! Norm was fine I just used him as a reason for you to slow down. Always a great time riding with you, normally it's at a race and we see each other for like 2 seconds. Glad you got to see something new thats really old. I love MTB because of all the good peeps.. (except @Frank ) wink wink
@Norm always a fun time on the trails with you.. No matter where I take you, you never complain.. Even up The Grind

I've been playing along and have been using this challenge to get motivated to get back into a steady routine. Less work and more bikes has been my July theme.

Since I'm in the home stretch its safe to say I'm going to pull this off. Being pressed for time and not taking pics on rides is not very entertaining for you fine folks, so I've kept it quiet. I had to do less typing and more biking!

Thank you to all of you who have been sharing. Also thank you @jdog for giving me a reason to give my bikes the consistent attention they deserve this month.

Time to get my ride in today... 5 to go....

You started out even Hot for me!! Norm was fine I just used him as a reason for you to slow down. Always a great time riding with you, normally it's at a race and we see each other for like 2 seconds. Glad you got to see something new thats really old. I love MTB because of all the good peeps.. (except @Frank ) wink wink
@Norm always a fun time on the trails with you.. No matter where I take you, you never complain.. Even up The Grind

It is really worth mentioning....friends who do not complain too often are pretty awesome.

PS - NH hydration delivery confirmed for you. Old school trade approved :)

13782291_10209955526666732_5976455944367279540_n.jpg

Decided to switch it up and ride Watchung. Again. Yesterday morning the Boy Scouts were out doing trail work so there was a lot less sticker bushes tonight. Also got a KOM somehow, granted it was a KOM I already had, but still always a bonus to do it Fat SS.

https://www.strava.com/activities/655927605

1:56:52

79-hours - 1,010-miles. Was hoping to break 100-hours and 1,500 miles but the SS-Works has been too much fun.

Typical clockwise muck loop.
What's a muck loop, it's what locals call this prehistoric lake turned tar pit that is some of blackist soil one will see. Very fertile and mostly used for sod farms. If your buying sod it probably comes from here. It also contains the clay dirt used in infields of baseball fields. This is where major leagues get this clay dirt from.

It's also a solid 1 hr loop both ways
Shades of death to Alphano or vice versa. Probably the most cycled roads in the state.

There is some good reads from weird NJ also, about the stories of body dumping and deaths that have occurred along Shades of death road. How fitting that on the road there is a lake called ghost lake.

I named my ride after a beloved teen who was struck by a car on Alphano a few years back, it turns out it happened right after Patty and I rode past where the accident happen. Your not forgotten Billy Cooper!

https://www.strava.com/activities/656271204/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1469707938

image.jpeg

July 28

Took the road bike out for an easy ride. I have figured out the foot numbness issue but it has now transferred to my left leg. The back of my leg from the knee to my butt aches/throbs. I am not sure what it is but it sucks. After about an hour this happens. I may try to lower the saddle to see if that helps. I probably need to revert to the MTB where I have never been fit and I have never had a single issue.

2:08:50
https://www.strava.com/activities/656673783

July target: 75
Current total: 69:29
Hours needed: 5:31
Days to go: 3

July 28

Took the road bike out for an easy ride. I have figured out the foot numbness issue but it has now transferred to my left leg. The back of my leg from the knee to my butt aches/throbs. I am not sure what it is but it sucks. After about an hour this happens. I may try to lower the saddle to see if that helps. I probably need to revert to the MTB where I have never been fit and I have never had a single issue.

2:08:50
https://www.strava.com/activities/656673783

July target: 75
Current total: 69:29
Hours needed: 5:31
Days to go: 3
There's no issue a good bike fit can't make worse.

Tuesday: enjoyed my new extended commute option- connecting the West side and East side greenways by way of battery park. (Which is really a misnomer- the park seems to be powered by tourism as near as I can tell- not batteries).
https://www.strava.com/activities/654575143
It's preferable to street routes (fewer lights and cars) and I can make it within the confines of a free citibike ride (45 minutes), just not without sweating. Nothing's perfect I guess.

Wednesday: got lucky, my wife had a cancellation so we were able to sneak in a lazy local ride. Mostly shade which was nice. I ignored segments and we just rode together and chatted.
https://www.strava.com/activities/655788950

Today: went out and linked up all the pieces parts I've found to get to a local park trying to not use roads. This park is 3.8 miles as the crow drives, the school/park/train track route is about 4.8, with about a mile of pavement. I can probably shave a little more off with a sketchy section of train tracks, and something that may be a right of way (or just backyards), but I'm cool with this.
https://www.strava.com/activities/656791220
image.jpg

called out of work due to ill feelings (extreme migraine along with nausea) and I have a Dr appt. and Puppy duties and food shopping and visit a friend in the hospital and its raining. Trying to ride today is gonna bite.

called out of work due to ill feelings (extreme migraine along with nausea) and I have a Dr appt. and Puppy duties and food shopping and visit a friend in the hospital and its raining. Trying to ride today is gonna bite.

I woke up today feeling miserable. Thinking I may have a little food poisoning. Hang in there and do the needful.

The rain should end soon - it's sunny right now here in PA. As a "trick" to get your time in on a day when you feel like crap -- just do short loops right around your neighborhood. That way, if you start to feel like crap 20 minutes in, you won't be far from home and can stop for a bit and then do another similar ride a little later. Good luck with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom