2016 July 31/31 Contest.. Who's In??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobe kryant

IMG_20160731_081623.jpg

I thought I could get out before the rain, but...I'm through it, Harry.

See you guys at the pizza party.

Last edited:

Mic360

31/31

https://www.strava.com/activities/659842044
Left my house as soon as there was a break in the rain, but it didnt last. 5 minutes in I was soaked with swimming pools in my shoes. It was the most fun ride I have had throughout this month. I started riding to lose weight and im down a total of about 80 pounds 15 just from the last month. Im happy I did this.

Edit added my strava things:

Time

Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 3.46.30 PM.png

Distance
Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 3.46.51 PM.png

Last edited:

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Looks like we made it…

So first off, thanks @jdog for the contest to motivate us to get out there. Your continued support for the biking community is just awesome. Thank you.

Well done to all who threw their hat in the ring, especially those that finished and pushed themselves further than they thought they could.

So I got out today with the Mrs for a leisurely ride along the Champs Englewood- a nice way to cap the month. Highlight was lighting up one of those radar trap/speed signs. 30 in a 25 was enough to set off the blue and red flashers (sorry Carson).
https://www.strava.com/activities/659709739

I mostly just got my hours in, but enjoyed it and the kickstart to my riding game which has been off this year. Feeling good and jersey is fitting a little looser. Highlights were of course the team trip to Kingdom, and the other rides with others. Fun is best when shared.

I'm no threat to the total hours contest, so other numbers:
Flats: 1
Bikes ridden: 6 (unless we count individual citibikes, then like 837)
CitiBike rides: a whole bunch
Times I threw on a dirty kit to bang out a solo hour: more than I'm willing to admit
PRs: many
KOMs: 2

Any interest in a 6MR ride next Saturday followed by a trip to Halters?

Edit: almost forgot: special shout out to @mattybfat great job going from 0 to 31! You know what's waiting for you next time we ride…
image.jpg

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Winner winner chicken dinner!
So you followed along and saw a fat man do the right thing!

I did not come into this with the intention of riding 31 in a row. Matter of fact didn't realize I was in it till July 4th. See I just went for a ride with my lady first couple days, something that has been rarely done the last couple years. Truth be told any riding I have done in last 2 years has been a rarity.

On that note I have that beauty Custom Seven road bike that had zero miles in 2015, I know crazy! In fact my stats before July in 2016 were exactly 6 rides and 47 miles total.

Totals rudely added up looks like
31/31
56 hours 45 minutes
600 miles
10 lbs lighter without diet

That slams my totals in past two years, winning!

I want to thank @jdog and Halters/sponsors for having this contest to get some mojo back.

@Norm for constant "Go Matty Go"
And all you who had also nice and encouraging words to keep me rolling.

I am happy to know that I can find time to a busy life to ride bikes, yeah bikes!

My last ride today was surprising good, after the monsoon that bestowed upon us at our campground here at Lackawanna. I felt guilty going out today thinking of mush trail conditions, but surprisingly the conditions were stellar. I have been here plenty before but today found a whole another network of trails. I said it before this place is a great camp and ride destination. I have yet to leave for moosic or merli. I always say next time. Well next time will be next time as tomorrow I am taking off or not.

Speaking of taking off I plan for 20 days in August. Would be more but a Utah vaction/wedding trip will limit some days though Park City is in for one of those days.

7/31 1 hr 38 min
https://www.strava.com/activities/659676246/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1469973973

image.jpeg

Thanks again everyone!

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice work everyone!

@mattybfat Now please never stop riding so we can actually ride together some day. How are you feeling after all these days?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice work everyone!

@mattybfat Now please never stop riding so we can actually ride together some day. How are you feeling after all these days?
Legs are tired but wears off after 30 minutes. I will and did not collect any KOMs which is expected though managed a few top 10s in the downhill variety, fat guys roll faster down hill!
One day I did go to creek which was a bad idea because my legs did not hold up well. So breaks are needed for my DH flare.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
A sincere congrats to anyone who made this happen or even got close. The idea behind this is to push you to make cycling a part of your daily life. Most of us live in a fairly dense area, that may or may not be setup for easy daily riding. I really hope that this has made a small change in your life and you in turn can reset you perceived limitations.

Take a well deserved rest day and see just how far you can take this as we move into the shorter days that the fall brings.

Those who came close but fell short, we will do this again next July. Start thinking now about how you can prepare yourself to complete this monthlong challenge.

J-

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
Little late for my last 2 days write ups.
Saturday was the usual dog trailer bike ride. Fun. The Puppy didnt behave as well as usual but I guess we all have our off days. She is still young so I expect a few less than perfect days.

Sunday morning was great. At first I thought I would just do an easy hour around town before church just to get the ride in, but I ended up on a road I never explored before (not to any length anyway) and decided to see where it went. Of course after a bit I am not totally sure how to get home and just relied on my homing instincts. Ended up doing a 2 hour ride. Didnt get home in time for breakfast so texted The Hubby and told him to bring a slice of left over pizza to church for me and I would meet him there (and hopefully be on time). It was a fantastic ride. Saw a red tail hawk (about 20 feet away), and some guy walked out of the woods and asked where he was and where was Thompson park (umm not sure as I have never been on this road, but that way seems right), got rained on just a little, and got Seven up over 30mph. Very pleasurable ride and a great way to end the challenge.

Good job everyone.

I have 3 different totals for the month.
Mine, Garmin Connects, and Stravas.
Guess I will let @jdog decide which to use.

Last edited:

dnap

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Mission accomplished! I stayed motivated and finished with two solid rides this weekend. It helped that I had a partner in crime all month to keep me company (especially on the days where squeezing a ride in was almost impossible).

Friday and Saturday Mother Nature decided to soak us. Saturday we got one dry hour and then spent almost another 2 on top of that figuring we were already drenched.

Sunday patience prevailed and waiting a bit for a window she felt kind and we were able to finish strong with 3 solid hours with only a little road spray. We did have to reroute 3 times due to flooded/ closed roads though.

We saw a big turtle on Stanton Mtn Road with his head way up in the air. At first I didn't know what it was his head was so high. I think he got washed away from his home. We circled back and got the pic after he lowered his head.

image.jpeg

This was one of the flooded areas on Pleasant Run Road in Neshanic...

image.jpeg

Again, thank you @jdog for dangling the carrot that got me back into a routine on the bike. I can say this is the first time I've ever ridden a bike for 31 days consecutively at length. (Eating and sleeping have been the only things I've done that many days in a row before this :).)

I give anyone who attempted this a lot of credit. It was exactly as difficult as I expected it to be and it really gives you a sense of accomplishment when you reach the goal. Kudos to all of you!

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
13872937_10209980247924748_8290029992351783618_n.jpg

13895438_10209985283610637_7241098564969242635_n.jpg

13892193_10209985312771366_2608452160573781063_n.jpg

13882407_10209979310901323_1912173429988297238_n.jpg

13886843_10209988411208825_6836234709857593147_n.jpg

Spent the weekend up in Watkins Glen camping. Saturday I logged a couple hours cruising around town and going up tp the track. The dude at the track on Saturday wouldn't let me ride in, blah.

Sunday the boy and I rode back up to the track in the morning. Different guy at the gate, he let us ride around the track and watch the cars go around. It was a blast. On the way back we went under some train tracks and I was like, this is the train that goes over the Gorge, wanna ride out to the bridge? He was like "yes". So we rode out on the tracks to the bridge and walked out to the middle. This picture doesn't do it justice on how high up it is. It was super scary. And then of course I keep telling him a train was coming so he'd shit his pants.

Ended up with 87-hours total and 1,081 miles. This is just fun for me so I haven't ever submitted my hours to @jdog. Thanks for putting this on but I'm very happy to not ride my bike for a while.

Kaleidopete

Well I had a good run at it.
I managed to do 19 days in July plus a pre-challenge trial of 10 days in a row in June just to see how it felt.
Then the obstacle! The spine surgery I needed became available to me on the 19th of July and I had to go with it and drop out.
Thanks @jdog for the incentive to start this challenge. Now I know I can do it unless a major medical adventure interrupts things.
I really enjoyed the riding every day no matter what the weather.
This is just the kind of small challenge I need, larger things like races and long distance runs are way beyond my abilities.
I look forward to the “next time”.
ps thanks to all my Strava supporters!

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Awesome work everyone. I ended up with 24 days straight after which I took 3 days off prior to an awesome trip to Kingdom trails with some friends.
27 out of 31 days of July... My longest streak by far and I think I played it right. My legs felt terrible after 24 days but after a few days off, I felt awesome at Kingdom. :)
Thanks for the challenge J. Maybe next year I'll go all the way but for now, I'm happy to be off of the bikes. :D

Ian F

Congrats to the finishers. I did this last year so I know how hard it is. I'll be back again next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom