2009 Kona Unit

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
For sale is my 2009 Kona Unit. I purchased this bike in February 2011. This bike is essentially new as it was only ridden 5 or 6 times at Six Mile Run. Unfortunately, my ongoing back problems have gotten worse recently (and will be a life-long concern), so this bike isn't going to work for me.

I chose the Kona Unit because it had a quality steel frame with solid geometry, paragon-style sliders for easy chain tension adjustment and rear wheel removal, and no eccentric bottom bracket. The frame also has cable stops for front and rear derailleurs and a geared dropout is available from Kona if you choose to run a geared setup.

For reference, I am 6'1" tall with a 34-inch riding inseam and the bike fits me well. I made some nice upgrades as noted below. The wheelset, tires, saddle, and grips came off another bike and have a few hundred miles of use. The rest of the bike, other than a few minor heel scuffs on the chain stays and crank arms, literally appears new.

The wheelset came off my Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, so it's a geared wheelset with a spacer kit on the free hub body.

A new Kona Unit runs $999 and doesn't come with a tubeless ready wheelset. My price is $750 with the wheelset/tires or $600 without the wheelset/tires.

SPECS:
Frame: Kona 4130 Cromoly Butted
Size: 20-inch; Large
Fork: Kona P2 29er; 4130 Cromoly; 465mm Axle to Crown
Crankset: FSA V-Drive; 180mm
Chainring: FSA Single Speed 32T
Bashgaurd: BBG Aluminium Bashguard (upgrade)
BB: FSA MegaExo
Pedals: Shimano M520 SPD (upgrade)
Chain: KMC Z610
Cog: Surly 20T (upgrade)
Brake Calipers: Avid BB7 MTB Disc (upgrade)
Brake Rotors: Avid Cleansweep G2; 185mm/160mm (upgrade)
Brake Levers: Avid FR-5
Brake Cables: Jagwire Ripcord (upgrade)
Headset: FSA
Handlebar: Easton EA30 Riser; 685mm length, 40mm rise (upgrade)
Stem: Kona; 120mm, 6 degree
Seatpost: Kona; 27.2 x 375mm
Seatpost Clamp: Kona
Grips: ODI Rogue Lock-on (upgrade)
Saddle: WTB Pure V Pro (slightly flattened by my fat ass)
Wheelset: Bontrager Rhythm Elite 29 TLR; Bontrager tubeless rim strips and valves (upgrade)
Wheel Skewers: Halo Porkies (upgrade)
Tires: Bontrager 29-3 Team Issue TLR; 29 x 2.25; setup tubeless with Caffe Latex
Color: Black Metallic
Weight: 25.5 pounds (without pedals)
Misc: Spacer kit/lock ring for geared free hub body, extra FSA crank bolts, extra slider bolts

GEOMETRY:
Seat tube length: 20 inches
Effective top tube: 24.3 inches
Standover: 33 inches (measured at the middle of the top tube, real world standover is less)
Seat tube angle: 74.2 degrees
Head tube angle: 73.2 degrees

Feel free to PM with questions. Thanks!

Attachments

• kona.jpg
    kona.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
I was cleaning up the Unit today when I noticed my fat ass tweaked one of the saddle rails. Price dropped.

I was just notified that I'll be heading in for emergency surgery tomorrow, so I may not be online much over the next few weeks. Please be patient if you have an interest in my Unit. I mean this Unit. I'll be all over this site during my recovery!!

I was just notified that I'll be heading in for emergency surgery tomorrow, so I may not be online much over the next few weeks. Please be patient if you have an interest in my Unit. I mean this Unit. I'll be all over this site during my recovery!!

Good luck dude...

Thanks, guys. I may just do that, Norm. It may help me get out some of the frustration of lying on the couch in the coming weeks.

Signing off...

I just had to get my 800th post before I go under the knife. Ok, really, signing off...

Thanks Tim. And thanks for the excellent workman's comp coverage in your town. :)

I'll be at Morristown Memorial in the same day surgery unit, which I think is in the Cancer Building, for whatever reason. Surgery is scheduled for 8:45am with Dr. Richard Nachwalter.

Well I see you were online 40 minutes ago. So I'll take that as a reasonably good sign.

Any updates?

Ha, yeah I'm lurking a bit. Very short stints in the sitting position right now. Everything went well and I am recovering as expected. Even went for a short walk today between the downpours. Thanks for the thoughts.

Possible recovery blog title: This Is Spinal Tapatalk!

Back
Top Bottom