2009 Kona Unit

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
For sale is my 2009 Kona Unit. I purchased this bike in February 2011. This bike is essentially new as it was only ridden 5 or 6 times at Six Mile Run. Unfortunately, my ongoing back problems have gotten worse recently (and will be a life-long concern), so this bike isn't going to work for me.

I chose the Kona Unit because it had a quality steel frame with solid geometry, paragon-style sliders for easy chain tension adjustment and rear wheel removal, and no eccentric bottom bracket. The frame also has cable stops for front and rear derailleurs and a geared dropout is available from Kona if you choose to run a geared setup.

For reference, I am 6'1" tall with a 34-inch riding inseam and the bike fits me well. I made some nice upgrades as noted below. The wheelset, tires, saddle, and grips came off another bike and have a few hundred miles of use. The rest of the bike, other than a few minor heel scuffs on the chain stays and crank arms, literally appears new.

The wheelset came off my Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, so it's a geared wheelset with a spacer kit on the free hub body.

A new Kona Unit runs $999 and doesn't come with a tubeless ready wheelset. My price is $750 with the wheelset/tires or $600 without the wheelset/tires.

SPECS:
Frame: Kona 4130 Cromoly Butted
Size: 20-inch; Large
Fork: Kona P2 29er; 4130 Cromoly; 465mm Axle to Crown
Crankset: FSA V-Drive; 180mm
Chainring: FSA Single Speed 32T
Bashgaurd: BBG Aluminium Bashguard (upgrade)
BB: FSA MegaExo
Pedals: Shimano M520 SPD (upgrade)
Chain: KMC Z610
Cog: Surly 20T (upgrade)
Brake Calipers: Avid BB7 MTB Disc (upgrade)
Brake Rotors: Avid Cleansweep G2; 185mm/160mm (upgrade)
Brake Levers: Avid FR-5
Brake Cables: Jagwire Ripcord (upgrade)
Headset: FSA
Handlebar: Easton EA30 Riser; 685mm length, 40mm rise (upgrade)
Stem: Kona; 120mm, 6 degree
Seatpost: Kona; 27.2 x 375mm
Seatpost Clamp: Kona
Grips: ODI Rogue Lock-on (upgrade)
Saddle: WTB Pure V Pro (slightly flattened by my fat ass)
Wheelset: Bontrager Rhythm Elite 29 TLR; Bontrager tubeless rim strips and valves (upgrade)
Wheel Skewers: Halo Porkies (upgrade)
Tires: Bontrager 29-3 Team Issue TLR; 29 x 2.25; setup tubeless with Caffe Latex
Color: Black Metallic
Weight: 25.5 pounds (without pedals)
Misc: Spacer kit/lock ring for geared free hub body, extra FSA crank bolts, extra slider bolts

GEOMETRY:
Seat tube length: 20 inches
Effective top tube: 24.3 inches
Standover: 33 inches (measured at the middle of the top tube, real world standover is less)
Seat tube angle: 74.2 degrees
Head tube angle: 73.2 degrees

Feel free to PM with questions. Thanks!

Attachments

• kona.jpg
    kona.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was cleaning up the Unit today when I noticed my fat ass tweaked one of the saddle rails. Price dropped.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was just notified that I'll be heading in for emergency surgery tomorrow, so I may not be online much over the next few weeks. Please be patient if you have an interest in my Unit. I mean this Unit. I'll be all over this site during my recovery!!

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I was just notified that I'll be heading in for emergency surgery tomorrow, so I may not be online much over the next few weeks. Please be patient if you have an interest in my Unit. I mean this Unit. I'll be all over this site during my recovery!!

Good luck dude...

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks, guys. I may just do that, Norm. It may help me get out some of the frustration of lying on the couch in the coming weeks.

Signing off...

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I just had to get my 800th post before I go under the knife. Ok, really, signing off...

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks Tim. And thanks for the excellent workman's comp coverage in your town. :)

I'll be at Morristown Memorial in the same day surgery unit, which I think is in the Cancer Building, for whatever reason. Surgery is scheduled for 8:45am with Dr. Richard Nachwalter.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well I see you were online 40 minutes ago. So I'll take that as a reasonably good sign.

Any updates?

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ha, yeah I'm lurking a bit. Very short stints in the sitting position right now. Everything went well and I am recovering as expected. Even went for a short walk today between the downpours. Thanks for the thoughts.

Possible recovery blog title: This Is Spinal Tapatalk!

Top Bottom