Chimney Rock Conditions

Dingo

Repeat of previous post for today - although we skipped yellow.....
getting weedy on orange.

The white trail to the boardwalk/new bridge they are working on, and all trails between the water and Chimney Rock Road are closed for the next 3 months. All the entrances (Near Ballfield, across from Gilbride, and near the damn) are closed.
We had a nice fella with a gun and a badge explain that to us. While on the trail. Maybe i made up the gun part. Maybe not.
So the board walk that washed downstream 10 or 12 yrs ago during a hurricane (forget the name, maybe Floyd) is finally being repaired?

HooHaa!

FitmanNJ

I was told early today that they're building an elevated wooden bridge that will span the marshy area (i.e., a long one). It will be eight feet wide to meet the requirements of the Fire Department. There was a slow start to the process, though -- the backhoe guy hit a tree stump and knocked one of his traction belts off its wheels...twice...on the same tree stump!:rolleyes:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was told early today that they're building an elevated wooden bridge that will span the marshy area (i.e., a long one). It will be eight feet wide to meet the requirements of the Fire Department. There was a slow start to the process, though -- the backhoe guy hit a tree stump and knocked one of his traction belts off its wheels...twice...on the same tree stump!:rolleyes:

Does the fire department need to drive the freaking truck over it?

Dingo

Does the fire department need to drive the freaking truck over it?
Probably a good idea to be able to get some equipment over there from the Chimney rock road side. Just incase some jackass wants to start burning down the woods. The fire last year near the bridge on Gilbride comes to mind.

gtluke

The Moped
Met the ranger today, that whole side of white is closed. They are using both entrances and have it marked/taped off.
Use red to get around.

InkedChimney_Rock_Norm_LI.jpg

thegock

So the board walk that washed downstream 10 or 12 yrs ago during a hurricane (forget the name, maybe Floyd) is finally being repaired?

HooHaa!

Possibly Irene in 2011. Floyd was 1998.

BTW, props to the crew that trimmed the Yellow connector trail along the ridge in the last two weeks.

Gnarles

I just hiked white and most of the trail was slightly soft but not horrible, the normal wet spot were very wet. I would think that Orange, Yellow and Upper Red would be rideable by tomorrow.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any thoughts on ridability tomorrow Sunday? @Kirt ?

I actually passed through it yesterday with the intention of just going from point A to point B. The conditions were fine, so I stayed in and rode more than intended. By Sunday they should be just fine.

Kangdoy

Rode white, red and blue today. Conditions were good with a few mud spots that were avoidable. Was surprised to see lower section of blue was mostly dry!

stilluf

Ditto ^^. We also rode the blue connector. Pretty gnarly but rideable . Would love to tune up the turtle-rock technical.

thegock

CR Bridge project 0722171102.jpg

Bridge is progressing...slowly. This photo is looking east toward the ballfields on 525.

Rode Red, White and Blue Saturday. 3.5 of 4, but don't know how Sunday's rain changed things. Thanks to whoever trimmed White.

Oz Von Toco

Anyone go today? Was wondering if yellow might be dry enough to give it a go after work today or it'll just be slippery rocks and mud after all this rain. I assume red, blue, and white will probably be too muddy. Many thanks if anyone replies!

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Drove by yesterday and what I saw was very wet. We got a ton of rain the last couple days and the streams were super high and flowing fast. That was only 24 hrs ago and the weather hasn't improved enough to really start to dry things out. I doubt even yellow would be good. I'd say another day and it might be possible, but Thursday would obviously be a better choice. And then it all goes to shit again on Friday.

I forgot to post up last week. 2 trees down on the ballfield trails. Both small but need to get off the bike for. Another on High Tech. This is a big one and will need chainsaw work.

Also was told about a ground hornets nest on upper Blue. Guy got strung multiple times. From the description it sounds like it is by the log overs at the top. So tread carefully.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions