6 Mile Run Conditions

Please stop asking about this place until it Is frozen solid. It's practically under water right now.

Rick is spot on. Unless we see a hard freeze, this place is a no go.

It doesn’t matter if it rains or not, it’s a mess.

On a small positive note for our shop, we are seeing bikes daily that are literally being ruined from these conditions. This mud wears out drivetrains rediculouly fast, kills suspension parts and destroys bike finishes. We are seeing major repairs daily from people riding in the mud.

Rick is spot on. Unless we see a hard freeze, this place is a no go.

It doesn’t matter if it rains or not, it’s a mess.

On a small positive note for our shop, we are seeing bikes daily that are literally being ruined from these conditions. This mud wears out drivetrains rediculouly fast, kills suspension parts and destroys bike finishes. We are seeing major repairs daily from people riding in the mud.

are you explaining to them why they are needing this major work? or is a lost cause that would just fall on deaf ears?

are you explaining to them why they are needing this major work? or is a lost cause that would just fall on deaf ears?
They don’t care typically.

Most (or many) people are convinced that getting muddy is just part of the game. It’s the same phenomenon that builds the atv and Jeep culture whereas they want to see who can drive through the deepest hole and come out without getting stuck. (I’m not anti really for what it’s worth).

My angle is pretty simple and it’s chnaged over the years.

We live under a microscope these days. There is nothing we can do without impacting other humans, plants and animals etc. the idea that riding wet trails does no harm or goes unnoticed is dead wrong.

The idea that it’s OK since others are doing it is also wrong.

There are those (many really) who would,can and will use rutted out trails against us when it suits their specific agenda. (Banning mtbs for example).

It’s frankly ugly and horrifying to those uninitiated what these trails look like when ridden when wet. (Think CX course).

Our access isn’t a right. It just isn’t. At any moment someone could come along and ban all mtbs in state or local parks. The way we as a group treat these (and all) trails, shows the public at large how responsible we are with this puplic asset.

What I ask here is simple. Get familiar with the free/thaw cycle, give the trails a few days at minimum to dry out after a rainfall. Teach others the same and begin to understand that we are indeed wildly lucky to have any local trail access and that we should treat it like gold or diamonds.

They deserve what happen to their shit if they ride SixMile now.

When I rode by the canal lot today (on road bike), even with the nearby millstone river crossings closed from flooding, I checked out the end of the red trail and sure enough, fresh bike tire tracks next to a huge puddle.

Not being sarcastic but does the public belive ruts etc are improper? As riders ruts suck but do hikers etc see the ruts as neglect? When they set out do they think their hiking trail will be perfectly smooth which 6mr is 95% smooth. I don't ride in the rain or anything like that because I can't afford to destroy a 6k bike, I turned around on a ride because in 100 ft I could see the trails were shit.

Not being sarcastic but does the public belive ruts etc are improper? As riders ruts suck but do hikers etc see the ruts as neglect? When they set out do they think their hiking trail will be perfectly smooth which 6mr is 95% smooth. I don't ride in the rain or anything like that because I can't afford to destroy a 6k bike, I turned around on a ride because in 100 ft I could see the trails were shit.

Unfortunately there are some hiking folks that get pissed about ruts. And hikers are the primary trail influencing group (they were there first type thing).

Riding in poor conditions is not just aesthetic, it speeds erosion and widens trails.

Not in any way to excuse cyclists rutting up trails like 6mr, but one year I saw horse footprints that were sunk a good 6 inches into the trails.

allaire has horse shit all over the trails, really annoying and they are the only pet owners that get away without cleaning up after their pet.

Reactions: Tim

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions