getting back on the road, what to consider

Whats more important is that you buy something that fits you correctly. Mind-F'ing components and wheels isn't going to matter if it fits like shit.
100% that's why I didn't consider the Cannondale on sale here with the fancy wheels. I've ridden 56 cm bikes and they are a tad big on me.

Have road bike geos changed much like mtbs? I know they vary based on the type of bike, e.g., Synapse vs SuperSix, but does the Synapse from ten years ago have the same geo as today's version? What about other specs like handlebar widths, top tube lengths and reach?

Sooooo here’s the thing. You said a few things that bother me.

One of your complaints was the bike was “twitchy”. A “Race Bike” is designed to be super responsive.... and if you’re the least apprehensive ... it’s gonna feel twitchy to you.

Second, you threw the 20lb number out there..... every decent road bike is gonna be under 20lbs for heavens sake.

Third, you have neck/spine issues. Why the hell would you be looking at aero bikes then?

The “all road” category carbon bike in a proper size (my EVO is a 54cm for reference) will go as fast as you want. The biggest difference (speed wise) between an EVO and a Synapse is the riding position. (I’m using those two because I own both) You can either buy the Synapse and be happy...or buy the EVO and spend $$ replicating the riding position OF the Synapse. On a 50+ mile ride, I’m willing to bet $ that you’d actually be faster on the Synapse, cuz of the reduced fatigue.

Regular or high-mod is $ decision components on the other hand is the fun part. Electronic shifting is cool. Period. I have eTap WiFly on the EVO (was mech red before) Rick has Di2 on his EVO. There are pros and cons to each.... but I ain’t ever go’n back.

The industry is going disk, if you are gonna keep it forever then go any way you want, but if you intend to sell it down the road, you’ll get more $ if it has disk brakes......

Last edited:
Have road bike geos changed much like mtbs? I know they vary based on the type of bike, e.g., Synapse vs SuperSix, but does the Synapse from ten years ago have the same geo as today's version? What about other specs like handlebar widths, top tube lengths and reach?
Yes the geo’s are different. Wheels will make a bigger difference.
Ultegra and Dura Ace mechanical have pretty damn fine shifting at a fraction of the price. The quality degrades a bit of you go 105.

And if a gravel bike feels twitchy....

Long and short of it is, yes. If the current Synapse carbon layup and geo was out when I got my EVO I would have gotten that one. In fact I’ll be replacing my EVO frame WITH a Synapse Frame w/in the year.

Yes the geo’s are different. Wheels will make a bigger difference.
Ultegra and Dura Ace mechanical have pretty damn fine shifting at a fraction of the price. The quality degrades a bit of you go 105.

And if a gravel bike feels twitchy....
twitchy is the wrong word, It doesn't feel right on high speed turns and downhill. Is this more related to the BB height difference and bigger tires?
Also what's the changes to the frame geos?

twitchy is the wrong word, It doesn't feel right on high speed turns and downhill. Is this more related to the BB height difference and bigger tires?
Also what's the changes to the frame geos?
It should turn more sluggish with the more slack/comfort geo

Synapse is a great bike and so is the evo. I went from synapse to an evo and never looked back. However, the newer synapse takes bigger tires than the current evo.

Evo FTW. The Evo is far from a punishing or demanding bike to ride. I think that it strikes a pretty good balance between compliance and stiffness, especially if you get a sensible set of wheels and tires. Its also a great bike for when the road starts going up.

Ride more, get faster, then any bike will work.
I agree and have had this mentality for 6 years now since first hitting the road. I always seem to go on the cheaper side (currently riding 2015 Domane 4 with 105 components) but feel I should have just spent the cash and gone a step up. It’s hard to determine when it’s the bike holding me back from stealing @UtahJoe or @graveyardman67 KOMs or if it’s just my fitness. Same goes for MTB (going uphill of course, I’m not crazy).

Sounds like any Bicycling Magazine recommendation would be for you.

If you believe the hype, aero road bikes are all the rage but for use mortals, it likely doesn’t make much of a difference unless you pulling above 25 all the time. The downside is the frames are hurtful to the eyes.

At this point I would go for disc brakes, I haven’t made the switch but buying new, seems like the way to go.

Canyon Is hot right now.

The only people who like aero bikes are the ones who don't have to put them together.

<3

I agree and have had this mentality for 6 years now since first hitting the road. I always seem to go on the cheaper side (currently riding 2015 Domane 4 with 105 components) but feel I should have just spent the cash and gone a step up. It’s hard to determine when it’s the bike holding me back from stealing @UtahJoe or @graveyardman67 KOMs or if it’s just my fitness. Same goes for MTB (going uphill of course, I’m not crazy).
My road bike is ten years old, approaching 20,000 miles... Currently has a broken power tap for a rear wheel, biggest tires that will fit, 28c... Gets me thru my workouts, but its a disaster

Love what @Delish said, probably what I will end up buying one day

Back
Top Bottom