getting back on the road, what to consider

echappy

100% agree, aero road bikes are bad but tt bikes are even worse, it takes 2 people to get the rear brakes right on my tt bike or 1 with a lot of cursing.
or, in my case, 40 hrs of time to set up

had to drill a hole in the stem to route the cable to the front brake. on the plus side, first place any cable sees air is bottom brack

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Little do you guys know... I get towed on those KOMs. I just have an expensive bike to make it seem like I actually did it.

szymon

Little do you guys know... I get towed on those KOMs. I just have an expensive bike to make it seem like I actually did it.

Mine are on an expensive bike too, but most people would be surprised that over half of them were done on a cx bike with cx gearing not to mention the frame pump, seat bag and fat tires.

goldsbar

My road bike is 14 years old. Not much has changed. 11 speed instead of 10? BFD. It's well under 20 lbs. It's good enough for some (very) local KOMs and to suck wind behind the actual fast guys. I totally get shopping for a new toy, just don't expect it to be any faster than your gravel bike if you threw on a pair of 23/25 slicks. As others said, the sales will be starting soon. Have fun!

qclabrat

I see many road bikes are now PF30, but my road cranks are all 24mm. Would there be much of a benefit to change to a BB30 crankset vs using an adapter to size down to Shimano or GXP cranks I already have.

qclabrat

Didn't want to limit frame choices, good to know those adapter are reliable. Not always the case with aftermarket workarounds.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
first thing i noticed with my evo was high speed handling. it isn't twitchy, it is ultra responsive, so i've adapted.
Think i purchased some speed, as the bike is effortless relative to the caad 8/105.

I've got an al seat post, that needs to be remedied this year, then upgrade the wheel set from the kyseriums (sp).

i'm comfortable on the 56 slammed, although i think i'm going to flip the stem, cause old.

my gut is that the more seasoned rider like @stb222 have a certain feel for shifting, and the feedback that mechanicals provide.
knowing exactly what they are doing. on my side, the etap is a game changer. just think, and shift. i trust it, and think i'm more active
about shifting (esp the front :D)

Good luck with the search. Hope we can start catching the halters saturday am ride.

qclabrat

Ride what you have... unless you feel like going with something new....

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/pf30-outboard.html
has anyone tried the RWC PF30 to 24 BBs? They looked well made like their other bits on the site.
Also thoughts on the different bearings? I'm considering the ceramic vs ABEC or Angular

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/bottom-brackets/road/pf46/24x24/
1534818654626.png

qclabrat

first thing i noticed with my evo was high speed handling. it isn't twitchy, it is ultra responsive, so i've adapted.
Think i purchased some speed, as the bike is effortless relative to the caad 8/105.

I've got an al seat post, that needs to be remedied this year, then upgrade the wheel set from the kyseriums (sp).

i'm comfortable on the 56 slammed, although i think i'm going to flip the stem, cause old.

my gut is that the more seasoned rider like @stb222 have a certain feel for shifting, and the feedback that mechanicals provide.
knowing exactly what they are doing. on my side, the etap is a game changer. just think, and shift. i trust it, and think i'm more active
about shifting (esp the front :D)

Good luck with the search. Hope we can start catching the halters saturday am ride.
is your EVO disc or rim brake? I'm still on 10 speed and fine with that for now, any upgrade to 11 or more speeds will likely be some electronic version, but that's for another day. What I'd like to find are frames which allow for both. I assume what makes a Di2 only frame are the missing frame parts for mech shift cables?

qclabrat

for someone like me with little knowledge of the alphabet soup of BBs, this was a good overview
It's about 30mins so grab a good beverage and popcorn

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
is your EVO disc or rim brake? I'm still on 10 speed and fine with that for now, any upgrade to 11 or more speeds will likely be some electronic version, but that's for another day. What I'd like to find are frames which allow for both. I assume what makes a Di2 only frame are the missing frame parts for mech shift cables?

It is rim brake only. The SRAM Red brakes were also miles ahead of the 105s in power and modulation. But i'd guess that is the point of higher
end group sets?? I'm thinking higher-end rim brake wheel sets are going to become available, and the price is going to drop as disc
takes over.

when I was looking at the new SuperSix last year, as an alternative to building out the frame, they were either rim or disc forks. it is internal routing
for the wires and cables - so i'd suspect that the stops are there for the derailleurs. although the answer is ETAP. :D

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
How did you get on bottom brackets now. Two things on that:
Kogel BB’s are awesome AF. I have 19,000 miles on the one on my evo and maintes it twice. It has never creaked and is crazy smooth. It will probably need a replacement next year but I will gladly pay the $150-175? again.

Praxis B.B.s are the business too, have one on my Mr Pink, which sees all the poop. I have maintained it in 2 winters where any previous B.B. didn’t last between December and March (including King).

Shimano rim brakes are far better than sram in the long run, I had rival, force and red and all of them degraded in feel over time, even if you maintained them. I have had dura ace 7900 on my bike for 5-6? years now and they still feel great. Shimano’s finishes seem to hold up better too where sram stuff always Dulled over time.

That being said, sram is what the cool kids ride because shimano is the man or something.

Chris(NJ)

has anyone tried the RWC PF30 to 24 BBs? They looked well made like their other bits on the site.
Also thoughts on the different bearings? I'm considering the ceramic vs ABEC or Angular

View attachment 75640

I have a ceramic SRAM Red BB on my road bike. Honestly...I probably couldn't tell the difference if someone swapped it out w/o me knowing. But over the past 6 years there hasn't been one creak, squeak or other annoying sound. They still spin like new. Road bikes are about the only thing I'd recommend putting ceramic BB/Hub bearings on.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
meh. I just prefer the shift lever mechanisms more. I don't like the whole brake lever moving.
Yeah, I rode sram for a number of year and it was great, but got tired of breaking red rear derailluers. The silky shimano shifts are appealing but the chunky positive sram clock has benifits too. The movable brake lever is really a non issue. The top tier of either brand is great but I think sram compromises durability for being light weight.

Top Bottom