Want to live longer? Ditch the bike and start running

As long as your ok with your last extra 10 years are in a wheelchair and you can afford to have someone to wipe your ass because your knee and hip replacements have failed. Your feet are arthritic and your shin splints never go away :dead:

As a general rule, always be skeptical of "science" that makes the news. All this article does is make me question the methods of the researchers. Not to say it's junk science, but you can't ever trust the sound byte ready summary that a newspaper or online article gives you. You need to understand what exactly they've done here. For example, the statement on controlling for health factors like smoking drinking or obesity is especially problematic without an explanation of how that was done exactly (since these factors correlate with reduced physical activity in general, what kind of statistical power were the researchers really able to achieve in their sample of obesity patients who run? Not too many of those to work with.) And they don't address contrary evidence already published (the Mayo Clinic has shown that endurance efforts can have an additive negative effect over time.) And then there is the lack of specificity on their samples in general: who exactly is in the sample? Even allowing their statement of their various controls, did they try to contorl for other healthy lifestyle factors more likely to be observed in a group of physically active runners than in those who have never run? How do they know the cause is running? Do they have multi-collinearity there? The authors may have addressed all of these and other issues, but you'd never know that from the sound byte delivered here and because of that, this article is no more valid than an old wives tale.

Geeze you guys are too easy. I switched from running to mostly biking to save wear and tear on joints. But just in case these guys are right, the running I've done and continue to do should bank a good 3 extra years :D

Reactions: rlb
I did high jump and 200m hurdles for 3 years and my knees are shot. Running sucks, confirmed.

I always feel really great after running, but it's just not worth it for how badly I feel during running.
I never see anyone running that looks happy. Not even the ones you see out there all the time.

Actually, yes.
img_20170325_171752_498-jpg.49861

You don't put distance on @Mountain Bike Mike without putting in some effort.

Let's be honest though, most of these people I see aren't going all out. One dude I used to see in Hopewell / Lawrence, that dude was, full sprint everywhere I saw him.

Actually, yes.
img_20170325_171752_498-jpg.49861

You don't put distance on @Mountain Bike Mike without putting in some effort.

Let's be honest though, most of these people I see aren't going all out. One dude I used to see in Hopewell / Lawrence, that dude was, full sprint everywhere I saw him.

Pfft you're just mugging for the camera. The point is when you're running there's no coasting, no easy downhills, no carving twisties. Which is why if you monitor your HR it's pretty constant the entire run.

Age well and add a weight regime to your amatuer endurance career. It blows my mind the thinking of some people is so stuck.

I've learned that there are guys who are in their 50's with an well developed cardiovascular system, in a lot of cases equal or greater than that of young guys in their 20's. This is probably because of years and years of development. These same guys had the mindset that weight training adds mass which is counterintuitive to endurance progress. However, the difference in muscular strength between the 20's guy and the 50's guy is massive because of the neglect of strength training all those years.

Age well and add a weight regime to your amatuer endurance career. It blows my mind the thinking of some people is so stuck.

I've learned that there are guys who are in their 50's with an well developed cardiovascular system, in a lot of cases equal or greater than that of young guys in their 20's. This is probably because of years and years of development. These same guys had the mindset that weight training adds mass which is counterintuitive to endurance progress. However, the difference in muscular strength between the 20's guy and the 50's guy is massive because of the neglect of strength training all those years.
So are we supposed to be hitting the weights or not?

Back
Top Bottom