2017 garden thread

ordered a persimmon and raspberries from stark bros. they arrived yesterday. great. just great.

Reactions: rlb
love persimmons, size of tree? how long before they fruit

3' tree - probably 5 years. The italian way is to take mature persimmon branches and graft them onto a fruit tree for a couple year turn around.
I think this was more so the spouse could say we have one.

Finally got my broccoli in the ground, though with the weather it's probably been for the better. I also planted some cabbage that we bought on a whim a week or 2 back. Hopefully I remember to pull the caps tomorrow morning or I'll be 0 for 3 (years) with broccoli.

IMG_20170409_192208.jpg

IMG_20170409_192344.jpg

OK green thumbs. I'm moving into a new apartment with good patio space and thinking of getting a small planter based garden going. I won't be able to plant until the end of the month or early June. The area receives morning sun but no direct sunlight later in the day.

Thinking a jalapeno/other mild hot pepper, cherry tomato, and some easy herbs. Thoughts/suggestions? What else should I try or should I skip it all and wait until next year?

OK green thumbs. I'm moving into a new apartment with good patio space and thinking of getting a small planter based garden going. I won't be able to plant until the end of the month or early June. The area receives morning sun but no direct sunlight later in the day.

Thinking a jalapeno/other mild hot pepper, cherry tomato, and some easy herbs. Thoughts/suggestions? What else should I try or should I skip it all and wait until next year?
pot your tomatoes and pepper and make small raised bed if you can for herbs and lettuce
sunniest spot for tomatoes/peppers, but lettuce can grow with only 2-3 hrs of sun

pot your tomatoes and pepper and make small raised bed if you can for herbs and lettuce sunniest spot for tomatoes/peppers, but lettuce can grow with only 2-3 hrs of sun
A raised bed is in the long term plans but definitely not this summer. The area is a bit strange/hard to describe but the porch is just a 10 sq ft fenced in area of a 200 sq ft flat roof that I plan/hope to turn into a patio in a few years.

For now it's just a few pots, I've never grown lettuce but it's definitely a good idea. Thanks!

We have a "giant" thyme plant that made it through the winter and is doing well. Chives re-sprouted and flowered too, haven't been brave enough to taste them yet.

What weed is this?
Pretty sure it was in the dirt I bought to fill my raised beds. Started out looking like a piece of grass with small broad leafs and turned into this.

Attachments

• IMG_6582.JPG
    IMG_6582.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 20
What weed is this?
Pretty sure it was in the dirt I bought to fill my raised beds. Started out looking like a piece of grass with small broad leafs and turned into this.
virginia creeper?

popular in NJ.

Pat's got it right. They are a bit pricky like velcro and hard to control since they have a large root system like mint. There herbicides out there, if you find something effective, let us know

lol- thank you Pat

I've been calling Carolina Creeper forever. There had to be someone I said it to that knew I was wrong.

I believe Carolina creeper is my nickname among the entertainment when i'm in myrtle beach.
makes it easier for the mice to climb up the house.

IMG_6893.JPG

So I abandoned my gardening efforts this year due to the baby. At this point it's an overgrown weed mess, but I did notice 2 tomato plants that popped up, complete with at least 1 tomato. This was from across the yard, will take a closer look complete with some pictures.

Back
Top Bottom