2017 garden thread

rlb

I purchased the seeds based off the "Top Sellers" so I didn't choose but they're Packman.

That's what I planted last year. It's definitely much more heat tolerant than the home depot crap. IIRC we got a few smaller heads and some side shoots from most plants, and that was with a late outdoor transplant of April 24. Based on the book I use they should go into the ground ~3/24. Thankfully this year all of my beds are pretty much ready to go, I just need to mix in some amendments, so I should be able to hit that target without a problem.

On tomatoes, last year I grew RU 250, Early Girls, cherry, and Brandywines. The brandywines never did much, but the rest all produced tons. I think I'm going to stick with the RUs this year because they started producing at the same time as the EGs but with better size and flavor. Overall my tomatoes didn't do as well as they should have because I was just too crowded and I had some resulting disease issues. So this year I will find a replacement for the early girls and stick with the same remaining varieties, just 1/2 the number of plants.

qclabrat

save your milk jugs now to make hot caps, will allow you to get them outside earlier before the bugs fester

c6efacefa601edaf78c18b70754c0b1c.jpg

rlb

save your milk jugs now to make hot caps, will allow you to get them outside earlier before the bugs fester

c6efacefa601edaf78c18b70754c0b1c.jpg

I don't drink milk, but I did go through about 20 gallons of water while my kitchen was out of commission. I didn't even think the save them!

rlb

Nice! Noticed some sprouts this morning too. Nothing pic worthy yet.

Not sure if you've started plants indoors before, so bear with me if you're already aware, but make sure you get them under a light ASAP after they sprout.

Zaskar

Not sure if you've started plants indoors before, so bear with me if you're already aware, but make sure you get them under a light ASAP after they sprout.

Thanks @rlb! I'm not counting on you for everything....just most things. I did order the SFG book which has a ton of great and eazy to understand info.

rlb

Thanks @rlb! I'm not counting on you for everything....just most things. I did order the SFG book which has a ton of great and eazy to understand info.

Haha I just wanted to throw it out there in case you weren't aware. I have mine under lights for 13 hours a day as soon as they pop.

rlb

Broccoli check-in. 10 of the 12 pots made it, not bad for last year's seeds. A few are a bit leggy but that seems to happen every year under the lights.

IMG_20170305_080418.jpg

w_b

the vine borers always get my broc and cauli. eventually they get my zukes too.

qclabrat

Broccoli check-in. 10 of the 12 pots made it, not bad for last year's seeds. A few are a bit leggy but that seems to happen every year under the lights.

View attachment 48716

have you tried to cut down on light but keep the area warm. One year we had good luck by just placing the pots at the base of the fridge for heat. Now that we have a dog, that won't work

qclabrat

have you tried to cut down on light but keep the area warm. One year we had good luck by just placing the pots at the base of the fridge for heat. Now that we have a dog, that won't work

nevermind, just saw the furnace in the back
how many hour with lights and what type and wattage?

rlb

I would think that might make them worse, no? Or would they not get leggy reaching for the light if it's not there? One way or another they will be OK. Building up the soil when transplanting seems to work well.

rlb

the vine borers always get my broc and cauli. eventually they get my zukes too.

Been lucky so far, but I have yet to get a good broccoli harvest for various other reasons, so maybe they'll get me this year.

Reactions: w_b

rlb

nevermind, just saw the furnace in the back
how many hour with lights and what type and wattage?

13 hours under a plant & aquarium bulb from depot. Not sure on the wattage, I'll check when I get home.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
get the light close to the plants, so they don't reach for it.
also provides extra warmth, and a more realistic day/night heating cycle

is there a bit of water in the trays? the warmth creates a very low humidity situation.

qclabrat

13 hours under a plant & aquarium bulb from depot. Not sure on the wattage, I'll check when I get home.
I've read keeping the plants 2-3 inches from the bulbs will keep them from reaching towards the light. If still leggy, try a stronger wattage.

qclabrat

I would think that might make them worse, no? Or would they not get leggy reaching for the light if it's not there? One way or another they will be OK. Building up the soil when transplanting seems to work well.
I thought you had them on 24/7, as Pat said, closer and maybe a few more hours like 15-18 each day

rlb

@fidodie they're literally touching the bulb (lights lifted for picture taking purposes only).

@qclabrat I don't think you can light them 24/7 as it will screw up the photosynthesis. I believe there is a process that needs to happen at night. OK maybe I'm making that part up, but I did read that plants need a "rest" from the light. I will look into some stronger bulbs.

Top Bottom