Johnny Utahs Bike Change Operation

If it makes you feel better I ride whenever I want and still race. I did hard rides last tuesday and thursday as well as a late eve ride fri before my longest day and longest ride saturday. I jist love riding my bike. Racing is a way for me to focus with training as everything else in my life is open ended. I enjoy the hard work and suffering...probably more so than the actual racing. If I wanted the easy way I'd just drink beer and ride motocross like I did for the last 20 years. Do what makes you happy....i ride road, ss, distance, short track, beach, fatty, snow and even to pick up beer and pizza across town. If you don't enjoy it don't do it. I love riding my bike and aspire to be cat 1 or even pro one day but on the other hand you will never see me with a trainer or skipping out on a burger.

Where am I know......bored? Discouraged? Maybe a bit of both, I can't seem to put my finger on it. The past weekends of riding DH have been a ton of fun and something I have enjoyed for the past 19 years, maybe I have found a comfortable spot up there where I don't have to keep pushing crazy things that makes it more enjoyable.

this is called a plateau, it is hard. from what i remember you've been on the gas for some time. you may have hit the wall of your fitness/mental capacity. you can ride it out here or take it to the next level, which is even more taxing.

Training and rest for upcoming events is one of the main things that makes them not enjoyable. To rest for several days and not ride prior to event is not on my plate, I want to be out there pedaling.

local legend @woody has a great quote, "never let a race ruin a ride." I can't remember the exact details but he would do some crazy distance on the mtb the day before a really long mtb race and did not worry about his placing. we need to all take a page of this quote for sure.

when you say rest, do you mean not ride at all? because this is not good either.

ride your bike because riding bikes is fucking awesome and it makes you happy.

thats the only reason people should do things.

this is hard too, i remember this feeling. i do still become happy with riding and racing. it's a slippery slope when the thrill of doing well in an event takes priority over everything. you start turning your back to the fun, it is still awesome, but being 10000% prepared for a race or big event and finishing it, it's fucking awesome times fifty-billion.

balance, good luck. @jShort wrote something in 2014 i have bookmarked...

local legend @woody has a great quote, "never let a race ruin a ride." I can't remember the exact details but he would do some crazy distance on the mtb the day before a really long mtb race and did not worry about his placing. we need to all take a page of this quote for sure.

This is excellent advice.

We all have ups and down and the racing aspect seems to exaggerate the issue. Then having a coach your are paying to tell you when not and when to ride puts even more pressure on. These are the easy days to be motivated, just spin the cranks you want on the days you want and it will be alllll good.

i love riding bicycles
thats the only skill i'm good at and love it to the bone,however,i do have tendency of being lazy and out of self motivation but,lazy is my biggest problem,then i will making up my lost interest by doing long rides to somewhere else where i never been to or i wanted to visit and explore,..so,not to worry,you'll get your groove back again, in the meantime just enjoy and have fun whatever you wish.
for example,..two day before BS50 suddenly my inner feeling telling me not to go and stay home instead,and i don't feel sad or guilty,coz racing is only other form for me to have Fun,not showing off my ego or victory,those are for competitive type person only and i'm not competitive type at all,altho i can be if "provoked" :D
so,.find yourself to get motivated or ask friends.
how about a tour across america?or commuting?
i supposed in the end everyone has the same issue like this,that including me too.

In reading some of your posts, it seems like biking (or in particular racing) has become a chore or that you are toiling with a decision as to what kind of rider you are/want to be. I don't race. The reason I don't race is because I feel it would shift the focus from enjoyment to competition and work.

This is just my perspective. I'm not knocking people who do race. I really enjoy riding bikes recreationally. Couple that with the other benefits for me which include: exercise, solitude, therapy, enjoying nature and the ability to eat whatever I want...and that's what works for me.

My biggest "struggle" when it comes to bike-riding is deciding: "Where should I ride next?" To that end I say "diversify". In the past 10 days, I rode Wawayanda SP, some local trails, Stewart SF, Highland Lakes SP, Paulinskill/Sussex Rail Trails, and today, I rode at Taconic-Hereford (aka 909).

I think I recall a post by @pooriggy to the effect of "There are others things in life besides riding bikes." I'm pretty bike-centric, but I did mix in some other physical activities in that same period with kayaking and a couple hikes.

So, for me, "mixing it up" is what keeps it fresh and enjoyable. And if biking isn't bringing you joy any more, fuck it.

your year of hard training leading into the last 4 months has paid some sweet dividends.
podiums, new wardrobe, and you managed to get someone to marry you...all this facilitated laser focus on
home improvements, and job juggling.

you have provided both entertainment, and inspiration, sharing your stories along the way. good stuff.

Enjoy the ride between now, and then. (that is some deep sh*t right there)
Hit the DH you enjoy, hit the gym - an old goto.
remind yourself why you loved them too. Coach the wife to clean 135.

maybe set a target for the stewart 45? that puts a serious twist on your h2h fat biking, setting you up for
the fall...fat cx series?

Enjoy some beers, and when you get a day off during the week to go to creek, give @mattybfat and me a buzz. I'll bring the refreshments.

Where have I been?

Great question. Around. The events of the last two years (in relation to riding) have been a real game changer. I went from a gravity guy to chasing the saddles of some serious riders. It took a lot. I had to change everything I knew on the bike. My usual group riders were gone, suspension gone, riding buddies gone.

All new issues came about, soreness, agendas, training, diet, time conflicts etc....

The addition of things like Strava, racing and riding with others outside of my comfort zone really pushed me and became and obsession. And I liked it.

My goals began to get too lofty, going from 3k to 6k in miles this year was a big leap, as was trying to go toe to toe with seasoned guys like @jimvreeland and @liong71er in the base race, but I was determined.

Adding in the H2H series was another hurdle that began to add conflict.....hit 6k this year (mostly woods riding) or save legs during the week and dominate the fat class in H2H? Well I tried to do both while trying to ween my weight down and it all became too much.

After my MS charity ride in May I caved and began to ask myself what this was all for?

Rewind to my early days of riding (this is my 22nd year riding MTB) and I was 250lbs and the slowest of all my friends. I took a lot of heat and was usually the guy who stared at all the parts I had to have that would make me faster. As time went on I was convinced I would never be a fast guy and was okay just riding.

The more and more I tooled around on this site I became interested in changing that and proving myself wrong. With the help of many, especially @jimvreeland @pearl @fidodie @Mitch and @David Taylor i was able to push myself and complete some serious events as well as win an XC race, something I was convinced I would never do.

What now?
Honestly, I don't know. Back in June I was getting some serious chest pains that had been steady for a few months. After several trips to the doctor I was told everything was clear. I did have an enlarged Aorta from the training, but that was to be expected. With heart disease running in the family I decided to take it easy. Plus I was getting a bit strava/mileage obsessed.

I started taking the Mrs. Away on day trips, kayaking, building my jeep, spending time and spending time with family.

More importantly, staying away from others agendas and sticking to what felt right. Both socially and for training.

Getting in the car to ride DH became a chore. Frankly I just wanted to get up on the weekend, water my garden and drink a cup of coffee.

I put about 12lbs back on and got a bit slow, and it felt great.

Why am I telling you this?
It can be easy to have a great blog celebrating the success, but you don't always hear about the downfall.

I don't consider any of this to be a downfall, but rather a doldrum. In my opinion it is better to document the whole cycle of my training rather then just the spots that sound good.

Now what?
Now there is a new normal, and I like it. I strongly believe in the line from Janes Addiction's "Ocean Size" - "I want to be more like the ocean, no talks and all action"

Having worked on my fitness, I couldn't imagine letting it deteriorate further. Once you have the lungs and muscle, any bike is fun. All of the bike upgrade talk becomes irrelevant, as a solid engine with proper skill can power anything fast. Fast is fun, and I am determined to continue to build on this for my own enjoyment.

I encourage everyone else to do so.

Do I need a great venue or event to further this? Probably not. I would like to figure out how to make it fit in with the more relaxed home life I have enjoyed over the last two months. That is harder than the training itself, but can be done if priorities are in order and the bullshit put aside.

If it is not fun, your not doing it right.

Bikes:
Just the fatty right now. I told myself I would not entertain anymore purchases until the fall. A trail bike is at the top of my list, 5-6" of travel but I have not convinced myself I need one. My wrists argue at times, but they know better than to put a fork on a fatty, as the rigid is faster 98% of the time.

I Love the Evil line as well as the Rocky Mountain Instinct and Santa Cruz Tallboy.

I am very curious to see what I can do on a 29" racing hard tail.

Either way, my favorite riding season is coming, let's see what happens next.

Thanks for Tuning in.

Always a fan of JA quotes. Good luck finding balance. Truth be told it's a very rare thing to find. Kinda along the same lines: there ain't no wrong now, ain't no right. Only pleasure & pain.

Happy Birthday to you! 33, I have socks older then you.
First off, I didnt even realize that you were gone? Lol,
I still saw you a bunch of times at Allaire, just didn't realize that it was a lucky sighting.
If biking becomes a chore or not fun you havev to mix it up. Thete are plenty of things i enjoy doing and some days skip the bike to enjoy some TM or dog walking.
Glad to see your heads on straight and you're happy. Thats all thst matters. Yay bikes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom