Johnny Utahs Bike Change Operation

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Just enjoy life dude! I love pushing myself. My only regret is I did a bit too much racing and not enough enjoyable rides. I love racing but you do need that balance. Just got my wisdom teeth out yesterday, will do some allaire tm tomorrow and other than that I have started running again. I like to do a couple 5 or 10ks each year so now I have lined up schilling 5k, hashathon at cheesequake and the mountain man biathalin. This is gun to me, 7 of 8 h2h races was not fun but I don't regret it. I'll just do it different next year. To be honest, fat bike adventure rides have been the most fun for me. Have some kids dude, then balance will come in to play.

Frank

Sasquatch
May I suggest a tricycle endurance ride, it's all the rage. Seriously though, I want to thank you for helping to inspire me to get out and ride more, being IN on the Farley purchase, and cheering me on on Strava. You will get your buzz back, you just need to find the balance like others have said. I'm lucky to be able to ride dawn patrol, so it works into my schedule for sure. Perhaps you need to do something similar? Regardless, just enjoy the ride.....that's how we all got hooked anyway, right?

The Kalmyk

Good luck finding balance. Truth be told it's a very rare thing to find.

So true.

To gain something we have to give up something. Last year I logged just shy of 4k for the year. This year I'm expecting a 3rd. I lost now sleep over the fact I'm not as strong on a bike as last year. So is the life of a non-professional cyclist with a family. i worry not about not matching year to year.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
HB johnny!
Great read and glad you are in control.
Burnout can really turn things for the worst, ask me how I know.
With 30 years approaching of mtbing I still fall into the traps of burnout. Twice now it kept me from loving it and both times I came out with just do it for fun. How we lose sight this is a mystery. But miles and bling and now add strava and it becomes a sickness. It's actually taken this long since I stopped commuting into NYC to get the juice flowing again, thanks in part to Halters 31/31 contest. Now having a little base and the joy of just riding along. That commuting turned into an obsession and my last year logged almost 8000 and 4800 on SS's. It was almost a relief when I changed jobs but in the end I now pay the price as I am nowhere near that person but I am ok with that.
Maybe we will hook up at creek before seasons end. Keep riding for the good of it.

Johnny Utah

All in all, the juices are flowing again. I should easily be over 3k at the end of the month, so 5k at year end is still very much in reach.

As the weather cools and I finish my jeep I will begin traveling up north again, at that point a trail/enduro bike will most likely be purchased.

I'm just taking my time so I make the right choice, as I will probably buy the next bike new.

Thanks for the love all!

Johnny Utah

May I suggest a tricycle endurance ride, it's all the rage. Seriously though, I want to thank you for helping to inspire me to get out and ride more, being IN on the Farley purchase, and cheering me on on Strava. You will get your buzz back, you just need to find the balance like others have said. I'm lucky to be able to ride dawn patrol, so it works into my schedule for sure. Perhaps you need to do something similar? Regardless, just enjoy the ride.....that's how we all got hooked anyway, right?

That's awesome to hear, thanks Frank!

I have the time, I just needed to figure out how my priorities would fall. 5k for year end is still very possible! But if it happens, it happens.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Let's see pics of that jeep!
I thinking of picking up a heep to work on with/for boy wonder.
I had 71 and 77 ford Broncos when I was young but those now are worth way too much for my budget. Been floating jeep sites and getting the itch.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Saw this up at highlands and had dudeman pop the hood. Super restore job considering these were rust buckets within 5 years.
image.jpeg

Johnny Utah

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Let's see pics of that jeep!
I thinking of picking up a heep to work on with/for boy wonder.
I had 71 and 77 ford Broncos when I was young but those now are worth way too much for my budget. Been floating jeep sites and getting the itch.
My first car was a 69 Ford Bronco Half cab. Took it to the frame and then started to realize the restoration costs.

I am send the jeep in for gears in four weeks (shop is backed up), I may have them put an ARB locker in as well.

Winch should be done then too, just need to figure out what I want to do. If I don't buy a trail bike a Dyntrac Dana 44 is going in the front.

Or I will be smart and just buy a rig for wheeling.

Too much fun!

Johnny Utah

image.jpeg

Pipeline:

First off, much love to the crew at Beachwood Bikes. Over the past few years they have been there many times in a pinch when something on the Beargrease or V10 broke as their inventory is impressive as is their turnaround (plus you never know who you will run into there at lunch!). Adam is also solid on shock/fork rebuilds amongst other things.

I have been looking for a trail bike for the past few months and was pretty set on one of the Evils, specifically the Wreckoning or Insurgent. After much pondering I could not get comfortable with the head angle and thought they would be too similar to my Nomad, which I found to be too much bike for anything but the ski slopes, where I would rather have a full DH rig. The following just wasn't doing it for me anymore......plus they are doing a re-design in the coming months.

On the short list for new bikes was also something from the Rocky lineup, as I have been a big fan of the instinct post my demo two years back. In addition, buying something new from a local dealer was high on my list.

Long story short, the 27+ Pipeline was sitting on the floor in the exact trim I wanted. Score. This should be a great trail/recovery/play bike. My wrists and ass were thanking me last night.

Funny thing is I had an original Pipeline back in 1999/2000 I bought with lawn route/snow shoveling $

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Beargrease:

So as many of you know, my old Beargrease is no longer with us. At about 5k several cracks around the seat mast brought on a new warranty frame. Brielle Cyclery was awesome with the warranty as was Salsa. I would say it was an 8-10 day turn around.

This is the most miles I have put on any bike and maybe a record for the longest I have owned a bike.

After stripping my fatty a lot of the bike needed a rebuild, which is in process and is as follows:

- Switching from SRAM to Shimano XT (I was impressed with the Pipeline ST drivetrain for the price)
- New Thomson post to replace the original Truvativ post
- New Chromag Trailmaster LTD (existing saddle has 8500 or so miles and will go on my Rocky)
- New Cane Creek 40 headset
- New Bottom Bracket (SRAM pressfit)
- New brake pads
- New I9 hubs
- New Knard 120 tpi 3.8 tires
- New Shimano 520 pedals (lots of play in existing pedals)

I am looking forward to a new season aboard my IceCream Truck of a bike!

Training:

The weather should be breaking soon and I will begin to train for some of the upcoming events, but I am a bit unsure what I will be entering. I have not signed up for Cathedral Pines yet but most likely will. Crazy to think it is around the corner and I wore leggings for that last year.....I might have even wore my Wolvhammers.......

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Fat-Bike-less. Allaire local. At the time of year with the sandiest conditions.o_O

If you don't absolutely hate it now.... You'll be over the moon when it firms up. :)

Ride Johnny, Ride!

Top Bottom