Book of Paul H

before pics - so we can judge :D:D:D:D

can't all have @soundz legs
b21b43f1db73094155625205885f5d43.jpg

Well... tonight I found out my shoe size is 43 and picked up a pair of Shimano XC50N for $30 off of CL. The lady said that she bought a bike for her son and these came with the bike purchase and she will not allow her son to wear these. These are practically new and came with cleats and the cleats are basically new too.... I even sniffed the inside of the shoes and it smells new! :)

I guess I am committed to clipless and should be breaking body parts soon. Should have the new pedals tomorrow according to UPS.

Got the pedals today and installed them on the SL
Someone should follow me around with a camera this weekend.... there should be tons of these....

Btw, this is how someone told me to practice. I didn't follow the advice and fell a lot but eventually got used to unclipping, but here you go:

1) Find a grassy field.
2) Clip in and ride a bit.
3) Come to a complete stop.
4) Balance in a trackstand as long as you can.
5) At the last moment as you feel yourself losing balance, unclip and put your foot down.

i heard the most important thing was to unclip the foot that you want to put down.

heel down and out, works every time.

It seems to me that what I need to do is buy this...
inflatable-ghostbusters-stay-puft-marshmallow-man-xl.jpg

Go for a ride/practice and when everything is said and done, set it all on fire and put it on video.
I figure at least I can recoup the cost of the costume.

Last edited:
lost any mojo I had going back to clipless last week. after falling 5 times in the first hour, mostly on wet root and rocks in CR, I mentally thought about unclipping too early and flat out bailed way too many times. It will take some time to get whatever little mojo I had. I'm using eggbeaters, which are about as easy to get out already. good luck with the transition Paul

lost any mojo I had going back to clipless last week. after falling 5 times in the first hour, mostly on wet root and rocks in CR, I mentally thought about unclipping too early and flat out bailed way too many times. It will take some time to get whatever little mojo I had. I'm using eggbeaters, which are about as easy to get out already. good luck with the transition Paul
Thanks. I adjusted the pedal to the lowest tension settibg and for a while, I am going to stick to the easier trails at HM.

Got unlazy today. Woke up 430AM, racked up the Talon and drove down to 6MR. Stopped by McD and picked up a Sausage McGriddle and off I go. I think it was Thursday night when I switched out the clipless from the SL to the Talon. I could have sworn google maps said 1hr and half the night before but my car GPS said 1hr... so I got there extra early and rolled into the Canal lot at around 730. I am nervous... first time on the clipless on the trails. Had extra time on my hands so I rode around the parking lot practicing clipping in and out. Then I notice, its tight and hard to clip out and I am thinking I am going to die today... at least break a bone. I thought I had set it to the lowest tension? But I guess once a noob... always a noob. Pedal has 2 sides... I only adjusted the 1 side b4. Maybe this is not a noob thing... perhaps its just plain stupidity. Anyways... loosen her up and much better. B4 I know it, @qclabrat rolls in and since we weren't expecting others for at least another 30 minutes, we went out for a spin... quick 15 minute ride. So far, no clipless fail moments but what I noticed was that there are quite a bit of turns at this park. Not something I am too used to and I am having a difficult time taking corners at speed and I am braking a lot... A LOT! Tons of blind corners too. We ride back to the Canal lot and just in time, we see a silver Miata rolling in... @jumpa ! @Chris Nordt made it and a big pleasant surprise.... @Flaubert !

Pack of 5 start pedaling and I underestimated 6MR... beginner friendly? Yes but easy? No. I was in the middle ring throughout the ride which I think is a 34T but still... I was slower than I thought I would be because off the twisties and always roots at the turns. I should count my blessing it didn't rain the night b4 because if the place was a little wet, I would have had a difficult time with the slippery roots. By this time, I felt pretty comfortable with the clipless and then it happened. Came upon a log and cleared the front. But I didn't have enough momentum to clear the rear. Tried to bail but too late. Next thing I know, I am on my side. Clipless fail #1. Not too bad tho. Dust it off and back on the saddle. I was mid pack so I was too busy trying to keep up with Rob and Miguel up front and not really paying attention to where I was going and because of the turns, I was losing ground every time. Not to mention, my shoulders and back is starting to get tired. Why? I was keeping too much weight in the front. Rob pointed out to me that I gotta keep the weight toward the rear and let the bike flow. Balls at the rear of the saddle! Even at HM, I still have a tough time at the downhill switchbacks which I assume is the same issue. I gotta try the switchbacks again applying this. Did I mention Chris had to leave?

Made it to 27 lot and by now I am tired but because of the clipless, my legs weren't totally shot and the heat is getting to me. Somewhere in between, I had my clipless fail #2 but I didn't fall. I unclipped at the last possible moment and was able to get my feet down. I am finding those short climbs pretty steep and its taxing. With the heat, I am gulping down on water and b4 I know it, my gatorade is gone and my hydropack is empty. Damn... and we are only 1/3 of the way back to the car. Call it a strategic fumble but I could have sworn I saw Miguel going straight at one intersection but apparently, that wasn't the case. With Walter behind me, we lost Rob and Miguel. I think this is where I mistakenly pressed stop on Strava when I was checking the map on my phone. I say it was a strategic fumble because it wasn't intentional but I kinda needed a little break and especially with no water, this was more than welcomed. Rob had to go but we find Miguel and head back to our cars. I also had to steal some water from Walter. There was a clipless fail #3 in there but again, this was uneventful as I unclipped at the last moment and didn't fall.

All in all... great ride and another great experience with a classy bunch. I think I am now more willing to tackle HM with the clipless.
Also, would it be a fair statement if I said 6MR is quite a bit like Jungle without all the rocks?

https://www.strava.com/activities/650808213

Red 6MR dirt
20160723_142855.jpg

20160723_142724.jpg

I think Google calculates time based on traffic. During rush hours 6MR is a poa to get to. And yah you have to adjust tension on both sides on those pedals. If you didn't fall it wasn't a fail! So just 1 fail this time.

I'll admit, riding with The Robin Hood noobs was quite fun. Remember, balls to the edge but never crush them. All about the hover!was nice to get out and socialize with you all! Thanks to @jumpa for the tube- it made my day, I owe ya Sativa lol

Back
Top Bottom