Book of Paul H

Numbness... gone! It's a good thing I ride early in the morning when not too many ppl are on the road.... I was feeling my crotch way too many times. lol The nose of the saddle was kinda wide so I was concerned about chafing but no issues. Did feel a bit of tingling at the toes so went ahead and adjusted the angle of the saddle and pulled it back a little bit. It seemed to have worked. Now my shoulders were getting tired. Since my back did feel a bit stretched to begin with, figured I would switch out to a shorter stem and raise the handlebar. Pulled the 90mm stem off the SC and installed it on the road bike and placed a 5mm spacer under the stem. Another ride tomorrow morning... we shall see how the bike feels.

Also need to add some more miles to my usual route. I try to stay away from major roads and try to stick to roads with decent size shoulders. Not to mention, I try not to ride the same road whenever possible... at least not in the same direction. I make my life too difficult. I guess I need to look at google maps now...

Woke up this morning feeling weak and lazy. I knew that if I didn't ride today, I would feel guilty all day so I decided to take in the scenery and smell the roses on this ride. It would be a picture day.... of all the watering holes along in my usual route.

First up is the Point View Reservoir. Unfortunately.... no trespassing and I couldn't find a good spot for a picture so.... this is what you get.
20160905_072950.jpg

Packanack Lake... gorgeous place.
20160905_074316.jpg

20160905_074428.jpg

20160905_075720.jpg

There is a climb at Packanack Lake on Osborne Terrace that I always wondered what the grade was but was too chicken shit to even try until today when I had fresh legs... wasn't so bad. I think it was 9% overall for .3 miles. But the start looks pretty intimidating.
20160905_075919.jpg

Franklin Lakes... nice place for a break.
20160905_085218.jpg

Hoppers Lake
20160905_091515.jpg

As far as historical landmarks are concerned, I knew about the Dey Mansion in Wayne which was 1 of George Washington's headquarters but never knew about the Van Ripper-Hopper House. I googled it and something about unique construction or whatever. I didn't see anything special about it. You be the judge.
20160905_093324.jpg

20160905_093159.jpg

20160905_093305.jpg

20160905_093333.jpg

20160905_093215.jpg

Last but not least, Barbour Pond Park and a police shooting range at a park no less.... go figure. Ran low on battery.... so just 1 picture.
20160905_094823.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/701312429

Last edited:
The Talon is driving me nuts...
A few weeks ago, it developed a knocking/clicking noise but I was just too lazy to look at it until now. It comes on when applying power down and don't hear it when coasting or light pedaling. It comes on on all three chainrings. I've looked at the following things in the last 2 days
1. pedals: changed to 2 different pedals that I know does not make a noise on other bikes
2. chainring bolts: they were nice and tight but just to cover all bases, loosened and retightened.
3. chainring: looked like there were plenty of life in them
4. crank arms: tried to move them side to side but no movement at all. I've even jumped up and down on them while off the saddle.
5. RD bolt: tight like a tiger
6. seat post: noise comes on when I am off the saddle as well
7. rear wheel axle: no side to side movement and grease the bearings while I was in there
8. cassette: locked down
9. chain: measured and nowhere near .75
Only thing I haven't done was to remove the BB which is a ISIS connected to RaceFace Prodigy cranks. But wouldn't it make the noise when I was jumping up and down on the crank arms?
I am at a lost...

Cross chaining noise? Why is it not 1x yet!? Did you ever change the gears on the back of this bike? Are you using a different chain now than before and it's a different width for the chain rings?

Cross chaining noise? Why is it not 1x yet!? Did you ever change the gears on the back of this bike? Are you using a different chain now than before and it's a different width for the chain rings?
I'meant pretty sure its not a cross chain noise. This is going to be my adventure bike and figured since it will be on the road more, wanted to have the top end. No new parts on the Talon.

On a side note, I may change the SC to a 1x later on when i get stronger but I still need the granny at HM.... or if 42t parts comes along cheap...

I've had the same sound in the past and swore it wasn't the crank arms. Trying tightening the arms with a torque wrench if it's possible, I have no clue which crank/BB you've got.

I've had the same sound in the past and swore it wasn't the crank arms. Trying tightening the arms with a torque wrench if it's possible, I have no clue which crank/BB you've got.
It's a ISIS BB with a Raceface prodigy crank

okay, did you check crank bolts are 35 lbs torque per mfg specs?
Admittingly... didn't torque to spec but was tightened. Will break out the torque wrench when I get home. Might as well take it apart and inspect the BB as well.

I think the noise is coming from the rear wheels. I placed the front against the wall and applied pressure on the crank and I think i hear it from the rear.
I did break a nipple and had it replaced and had the wheels trued. But the LBS didn't replace the spoke which is a bit bent. Is it possible that this could cause the knocking/creaking noise I am hearing?

20160916_205127.jpg

Blah.... the noise ended up being a loose BB cup. Tightened it up and it's gone.

So this weekend I started what I call "adventure rides." Not exactly sure what it means but it involves the MTB and exploration so to speak. Mix of road and dirt and try to go places I haven't before fully on the bike. First one was going to be light as I didn't have too much time. I knew there was a dirt trail running along Pompton river along side route 23. Kinda found this place some time ago while on a road ride as I saw ppl taking their dogs there. But being on the skinny wheels at the time, couldn't go beyond the entrance. IDK if it's a park or what. Couldn't find any info on it but it's basically about couple of miles of relatively flat fire road. There were also some side trails that were slightly more rougher. There were mtb tire tracks so you know ppl are riding here. I think it would be a pretty good place for a noob to get a little taste of what mtb is like or for someone who wants to take your kid off road since there was also a playground on a tangent to it. It also runs along ppls backyards. If you happen to get in trouble and need help, all you gotta do is yell. There were no trespassing signs so ride at your own risk.

The designated adventure bike is the Talon which is set up 3x9 with 42/32/22 up front. For all intent and purposes, I think I can run it as 1x with a 32t but don't want to give up the granny in case I take it to HM. During this ride, I was mostly playing around on the upper end onot the 32t chainring and I am thinking it would be better with a taller gear. So I am thinking to swap the front end out with the SC which is set up 2x10 with 36/28? and make the SC a 1x10 with a 32t chainring. Only question is.... do I change out the entire crank and BB or just swap out the chain rings?

For the next adventure ride, I am going to try to ride out to Ramapo. Don't know when but hopefully it will be within this month.

Pics are on strava :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/716517209

Last edited:
Adventure ride or wandering around ride sound so delicious,i like what you doing keep it up!!
If you need partner in crime just holler..

Adventure ride or wandering around ride sound so delicious,i like what you doing keep it up!!
If you need partner in crime just holler..
Just imitating you and others.... but on a smaller scale.
When you say, "Paul, lets ride"..... I ride.... I might cough up a lung and cramp up... but I ride :)

Hmmm... had a bit of a rude awakening... the chainring from the Shimano crank didn't fit on the Raceface crank. Learn something new everyday.
I guess I need to order a 36t chainring because I am too lazy to change over the BB. :)

Hmmm... had a bit of a rude awakening... the chainring from the Shimano crank didn't fit on the Raceface crank. Learn something new everyday.
I guess I need to order a 36t chainring because I am too lazy to change over the BB. :)
what didn't fit?

Back
Top Bottom