Yup, that’s me…the guy looking for baggies!

For cooler months the Fox rangers shorts are good.

My Rangers have held up well, but wood like a zipper. Also, the velcro at the waist, while adaptable, always makes a mess when it disconnects in the wash. I hardly use the padded liner, appreciate that it's not integral to the shorts.

Might start using the liner when I'm back on the saddle.

I have Club Ride Mountain Surf, Joe Dirt, and Fuze. All are worthy options. Good quality fabric and not crazy-expensive, especially with CR’s regular sales.

Joe Dirt is the heaviest weight material of the three.

I wear regular roadie bibs under these.

Can someone splain to me why mtbers feel the need to wear shorts/baggies whatever you want to call em
I mean I'm mtb through and through rarely ride road but I can't for the life of me can't figure out why on a 95 degree day you would want to wear another layer
I get that it is a choice bit when riding iwant as little layering as possible
Is it a distinguishing thing?
Roadies are dicks so ima wear shorts overs my bibs so you don't think I'm a roadie?
Help me out

but I can't for the life of me can't figure out why on a 95 degree day you would want to wear another layer

Mid 80s and up, I’m only wearing bibs. Shorts are good for carrying more stuff. And let’s face it, we’re all vain to an extent

Target/Kohls/Wal-Mart cargo shorts. Your body or your bike wont realize youre not wearing non cycling clothing

I wear shorts for mtb because i wear them around the house before and after my ride, maybe to the store to get a donut or arizona drank.

My Rangers have held up well, but wood like a zipper. Also, the velcro at the waist, while adaptable, always makes a mess when it disconnects in the wash. I hardly use the padded liner, appreciate that it's not integral to the shorts.

Might start using the liner when I'm back on the saddle.
These flex airs have the moto / DH style ratchet and it is awesome. My rangers have a single large hook and loop at the waist, no Velcro

Reactions: w_b
Can someone splain to me why mtbers feel the need to wear shorts/baggies whatever you want to call em
I mean I'm mtb through and through rarely ride road but I can't for the life of me can't figure out why on a 95 degree day you would want to wear another layer
Roadies are dicks so ima wear shorts overs my bibs so you don't think I'm a roadie?
Help me out
It’s all about a vibe, I agree with you though. Why am I going to wear another layer of clothing when it’s that hot makes no sense. I’ll save my mtb vibe gear for the cooler months

I have a few pairs of Zoic Ether in 12" and 9". I like the 9" better. They are available with and without chamois liner. The liner sucks. I just wear my bibs. I do need to replace them, since the weight loss, they're too baggy.

Help me out
Baggies are an extra layer of protection in the event of a crash. Not really impact protection, but helps a lot with abrasions.
Plus, aerodynamics isn't much of an issue off road.

Would you walk around in public with your bib shorts just because it's hot outside and they'll keep you cooler?

Commando in that romper when hot!

I've walked into stores with shorts/bibs and forgot I changed shirts and took my arms out of the bib straps so the back and straps were hanging out. Classy!

Help me out
Same reason people shave their legs.... Vanity... All the "cuts heal faster" reasons are made up bullshit.... I like how I look better in baggies then I do in tights.... But for xc racing, tights do allow you to be a little cooler and move a little better, but I never liked how I look wearing them.

Unless I'm wearing my full on downhill shorts which are made of HEAVY nylon (and are impossibly uncomfortable to pedal in) , regular baggies don't offer any more protection in my experience

I don’t like the feel of the bibs especially in the summer so I only wear shorts and regular underwear, no chamois. In the winter I wear below the knee bibs and shorts on top or thermal and shorts on top, depending on the temperature. Brand wise I stick to Endura, all my shorts are now one size too big but who cares, they’re baggies (even though they occasionally get caught by the saddle nose which is annoying). I’ve been known for occasionally dub into hipsters territory and ride ripped skinny black jeans (only on my SS). I had to dig in the distant memories for all that because I haven’t been riding in about 10 years now…

I threw out all my “cycling” padded shorts. I have a few pair of Joe Dirts that are basically like every day shorts. And I don’t get hot, ride slower, or fall down any more because of them.

#lycrafreelife

Same reason people shave their legs.... Vanity... All the "cuts heal faster" reasons are made up bullshit.... I like how I look better in baggies then I do in tights.... But for xc racing, tights do allow you to be a little cooler and move a little better, but I never liked how I look wearing them.

Unless I'm wearing my full on downhill shorts which are made of HEAVY nylon (and are impossibly uncomfortable to pedal in) , regular baggies don't offer any more protection in my experience
While we agree on all of this, they did prove that smooth legs is a wattage savings, so if you prescribe that a bunch of small gains make big gains…

Reactions: w_b
If you're a tall dude, many of the shorts out there have inseams better suited to the little manlets, not us statuesque clydes. But Pearl Izumi makes a longer short called the "launch" with a 15" inseam. Endura makes a 3/4 knee length short but it looks like something you'd have worn to a Korn show back in 2001.

I like showing off the spots I miss shaving and don't want the extra layer. I still have two brand new pairs of baggy shorts that are begging to be worn.

While we agree on all of this, they did prove that smooth legs is a wattage savings, so if you prescribe that a bunch of small gains make big gains…
More or less watts than a waxed chain?

Back
Top Bottom