Yellow trail at the "pile of logs" closed off

Status
Not open for further replies.
@fidodie, just to clarify when you say "then not following the plan" that was the work of unkown others that were not part of the plan.

<snip>

Not an indictment of anyone or group. but the fact remains that it appears closed, and therefore remains a successful counter to "the plan" only because it supports
the rider's framework, and desire.

-

I also thought the same thing about the trail, it was not cut in as a rooty, double wide dh, with loose rock at the end. But by riding it so often,
it would be difficult to see the changes on a week-to-week basis. Like watching your kid grow up. they don't change day-to-day, but show up
at baseball in the spring, and all the friends look so much different. perceptional psychology?

-

@Arwen's Mom, we rode it last time, cause Jason and Lucas pointed out where the new section was starting.

-

i really don't mind these threads, as long as they don't turn into personal attacks.

Last edited:
We as a user group need to be thankful of what we have and what the parks LET US use and develop. If you want a say in the development or closing of trails then develop a relationship with the park. Complaining on the internet doesn't have any use. Try all different park and get out and ride. That is all.

Speaking of plants.. when are those trail berries gonna be ready.. I need those trail snacks
@woody ate all the ones at Chimney. I think I've only ever seen him eat trail berries and jersey pocket jerky, the elixir to stay fast and young.

..but the fact remains that it appears closed, and therefore remains a successful counter to "the plan" only because it supports
the rider's framework, and desire.

Thanks, not sure i follow though...the plan was to close the trail in the fall. The fact that it was closed earlier by parties unknown suggests their action is not counter to the plan but rather supportive of the plan and supportive of the new trail rather than the "dh". Let me know if I'm misinterpreting your point.

Italics: @GJ11 I and several others have already made our case and frankly I have little more time to beat dead horses. I recommend you take the time to understand and apply the science behind trail building. We're going in circles, which is something only our wheels should be doing.
You have not made your case. All you've done is posted a bunch of personal preferences to this thread. The IMBA book talks about fall-line trails and what does and doesn't work. Despite what you'd have others believe, there's nothing inherently wrong with them.

Several posts back you claimed to have presented objective data to the MCPC at one of their meetings in order to justify your new trail and closing of the fall-line. You said you made that presentation last year (2015). I have skimmed the MCPC meeting minutes from last year and there is no presentation, no testimony, no nothing, from you, or any other MCPC official, or land manager, survey crew, engineer, etc, indicating any problems or any proposed re-routes due to problems in fall line trails in LM.

It's completely possible I've missed your objective research and presentations on the MCPC web site, so I asked you for the information you claim you had presented to MCPC justifying the closure and re-route. To date I've received nothing. You've also posted nothing (other than subjective personal preference and a link to a handbook) to this thread, to substantiate your actions.

When my requests go unanswered, I begin to question your motives.

Not that we are under any obligation to do so, but here you go: http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/lewis-morris-trail-building-is-back.36672/

So based on the link above, you announced the new trail on this board, and essentially said that you're looking for volunteers. Nothing in that thread indicated the old trail was closing or that you just presented data to MCPC that justified the closing of the fall-line trail or that one trail needed to be closed because MCPC wasn't going to support both the old trail and the new one. I'm paraphrasing here, but this was the gist of your arguments posted previously.

Using your logic thus far, here's what any one of us could do -- this is what the fake announcement would look like: "hey everyone, we're opening up a new trail in LM." Then I'll use all my buddies to pull all the blow downs off the old fall-line trail because that's the one that needs to be open in my mind and I can justify it with the IMBA handbook. If questioned, I'll claim I read the trail design handbook and this is the way it had to be. Further, I'll claim that I presented the data to MCPC at one of their meetings and the land manager agreed with me. Then -- and this is the best part -- I'll close your switchback trail with out an ounce of input or objective data and defend my decision with unsubstantiated hyperbole on this web board.

Sound good?

What I think really happened: you told the MCPC guys that you were designing a new trail with the IMBA handbook guidelines in mind. They said 'ok.' Then you closed the fall line trail after the new switch back trail was opened. You never really liked the climb out of there and thought this re-route would be better. But you could never objectively justify the closing of one and opening of the other (and probably didn't have authority to close anything, frankly). You made an indefensible judgment call and I called BS on it.

When I pull the blow downs off the old fall line trail again, leave it alone. There's nothing wrong with it. MCPC doesn't care and I suspect if I brought your unsanctioned actions to their attention it would only work to diminish your reputation and standing.

My 2 cents.

When I pull the blow downs off the old fall line trail again, leave it alone. There's nothing wrong with it. MCPC doesn't care and I suspect if I brought your unsanctioned actions to their attention it would only work to diminish your reputation and standing.

My 2 cents.

again? I didn't notice the first time you tried. If anything it gets "more closed" every week.

You have not made your case... blah blah...

For the most part I gave up on this thread a while ago and aside from your continuous trolling, I think the thread has run is course. All your questions have been repeatedly answered, you've been directed to the right people to contact, the science behind the build was explained and you are just covering your ears yelling, "la la la la!" I think the big picture here is that you can go ahead and just not like the trail and I'm 100% fine with that. The decision was made and as a community it's important that we respect the wishes of the land managers.

Sorry... but what's the argument here? That the trail is or is not on a fall line? Or is the argument whether it's maintainable or not?

But either way, looks like the officials agreed with the closing. If one cares that deeply, perhaps one should attend those meeting from now on and get more involved and have a voice? Sorry but it sounds a lot like whinning at this point with no plans for any type of action.

I don't ride LM and know nothing about it. Just a 3rd person perspective. If I cared that much... I would do something about it instead of posting on the boards. Of course it can be a start but at some point you need to turn off the computer and get out there.

I rode this section for the first time last night. Nice work Jorba crew! I think in time its only going to get faster as it gets more ridden in....I have done bench cutting at lewis morris before and it was about the most miserable, chain gang labor I can think of due to all of the roots....So thank you for your hard work.

GJ, I will try to keep this as productive as possible. As we become more familiar and comfortable with a park system we can start to view the trail system as "ours". Which in many ways is good, as we will tend to look out for our pal. But you have to remember the park is shared by many other users and run by the state/county. Often changes will happen that are beneficial to the park overall that may not meet with our personal approval. Essentially, you need to get past that.

Your passion and perseverance are admirable but you are tilting at windmills here. Greg (Icebiker) has worked hard to gain proper trail building knowledge then use those skills to earn the trust of the Park Commission. Maybe you don't agree that particular trail needed improvement to which opinion you are entitled. But it has been closed, the park authority is on board, it's done.

What I'm afraid of is you opening the trail and riding it, I don't want to say illegally but certainly without permission. I'm assuming you might be on the youthful side? Some of us began riding when mountain biking was in it's infancy and riding any park was a hard fought battle. Even though you may feel entitled to ride that trail you could set back years of work gaining respect for our sport. Things are better now but it is still something of an uphill fight.

FWIW, I used to ride Lewis often but have found more challenging and interesting terrain at parks like Stevens, Mahlon, and Wildcat. Maybe try riding some other spots and see if you can't scratch that fun/fast itch elsewhere. I'm sure anybody here would be happy to show you around their favorite trails.

@GJ11 = italics

You have not made your case. All you've done is posted a bunch of personal preferences to this thread. The IMBA book talks about fall-line trails and what does and doesn't work. Despite what you'd have others believe, there's nothing inherently wrong with them.

Actually, I have made my case. It’s just not your case. These aren’t personal preferences. As I’ve mentioned, it’s fact. I agree if a fall line trail is sustainable and holding up well, then it can work. This one wasn’t sustainable, as per the fact that it was soft dirt 10 years ago and now it’s exposed roots and loose scrabble, as I have explained before and as you have experienced yourself since you have been riding that trail since the year it was built.​

Several posts back you claimed to have presented objective data to the MCPC at one of their meetings in order to justify your new trail and closing of the fall-line.

No, I did not. Read carefully. See post #48. I stated that I presented a proposal to them. In that same post I also said I do not attend the meetings since I barely have the time to work on trails let alone ride them. I work in NYC and have a 90 minutes commute each way. I work with MCPC over email as much as I can. It is also not “my” new trail…it’s everyone’s.​

You said you made that presentation last year (2015). I have skimmed the MCPC meeting minutes from last year and there is no presentation, no testimony, no nothing, from you, or any other MCPC official, or land manager, survey crew, engineer, etc, indicating any problems or any proposed re-routes due to problems in fall line trails in LM.

Again, read carefully. I made a proposal, not a presentation. I did not attend any meetings, so this will not be in the minutes.​

It's completely possible I've missed your objective research and presentations on the MCPC web site, so I asked you for the information you claim you had presented to MCPC justifying the closure and re-route. To date I've received nothing. You've also posted nothing (other than subjective personal preference and a link to a handbook) to this thread, to substantiate your actions.When my requests go unanswered, I begin to question your motives.

When you misstate what I said, which make it appear you have not read my responses, I begin to question yours. Additionally, In response to your questions, I offered to meet to discuss this, even offering to do so over a beer. Reason being, as I have mentioned before, there is a long history associated with trail work at Lew Mo. I’m not about to ramble on in a public forum about it. Those offers to meet went unanswered. Pot, meet kettle.

As for motives, my only motivation with Lew Mo is to keep it in good shape so it will be rideable for generations to come, not to serve the needs of a handful. I like riding quickly downhill like everyone else, unless the trail is eroding, then riding it isn’t in the best interest of the park. Not sure you are aware, but that old trail replaced a swoopy downhill section that was also badly eroded. No one complained when that original section was closed off.​

So based on the link above, you announced the new trail on this board, and essentially said that you're looking for volunteers. Nothing in that thread indicated the old trail was closing or that you just presented data to MCPC that justified the closing of the fall-line trail or that one trail needed to be closed because MCPC wasn't going to support both the old trail and the new one. I'm paraphrasing here, but this was the gist of your arguments posted previously.

This was simply a post seeking volunteers and getting them excited about returning to trail building at Lew Mo after a couple of years of hiatus and dwindling volunteers Nothing more. You had asked if there was an announcement, so I gave you the link. There is no requirement to go into detail about what we are doing or why we are doing it. Typically, those who are interested show up for the trail dates to lend a hand. In so doing, they ask questions, and I answer them. As mentioned before, we also take their feedback into account. Witness the work we’ve done on the new section, including the awesome work done by @jumpa and crew a just last weekend. We had heard some riders weren’t too thrilled about some of the turns, so we listened and made some adjustments. You give, you get.​

Using your logic thus far, here's what any one of us could do -- this is what the fake announcement would look like: "hey everyone, we're opening up a new trail in LM." Then I'll use all my buddies to pull all the blow downs off the old fall-line trail because that's the one that needs to be open in my mind and I can justify it with the IMBA handbook. If questioned, I'll claim I read the trail design handbook and this is the way it had to be. Further, I'll claim that I presented the data to MCPC at one of their meetings and the land manager agreed with me. Then -- and this is the best part -- I'll close your switchback trail with out an ounce of input or objective data and defend my decision with unsubstantiated hyperbole on this web board.

The problem with that logic (or, more precisely, lack thereof) is that not “any one of us” is officially permitted to build a new trail in the park nor close one down. The MCPC has specifically designated me as the Volunteer Trail Crew coordinator based on my extensive experience with them and with trail building, including IMBA training, and has required me to submit proposals for new trails and/or major reroutes prior to proceeding. I’m not saying this to come across as holier-than-though, it’s just how it works, and I’m following the rules. I don’t own or manage the land on which the trails are built, I am abiding by the rules and process the land owner has laid out (again, a part of what I would have shared with you had we been able to discuss this together rather than beating dead horses over a public forum).

As I’ve mentioned before, part of getting a reroute approved means closing down the old section (otherwise it’s not a re-route). If anyone were to undo the work of the new section or re-open the old section to serve their own agenda, what that does is undermine the commitment made to MCPC in the proposal. While it’s true that they likely have more things on their hands to manage than one specific trail, not holding to what was approved and committed to makes it that much more difficult to get new projects approved. As I have also said, I am hoping to submit a proposal for a net-new trail (not a reroute) in the near future. While this may take time to go through the process, it’s going to be near impossible if I can’t show that we’ve done what we set out to do on past projects. Not clear from your post if the actions you reference are intended, or hypothetical, but if former (and by virtue of them being in writing on a public forum), then we all know who to blame if we can’t get future trail projects green lighted.​

What I think really happened: you told the MCPC guys that you were designing a new trail with the IMBA handbook guidelines in mind. They said 'ok.' Then you closed the fall line trail after the new switch back trail was opened. You never really liked the climb out of there and thought this re-route would be better. But you could never objectively justify the closing of one and opening of the other (and probably didn't have authority to close anything, frankly). You made an indefensible judgment call and I called BS on it.

It’s obvious to me you’re not bothering to read my responses thoroughly. I have explained the process a few times already…proposal, conditions, approval, etc. Think what you want about what really happened and call BS as much as you want, but since I was the one directly involved in the process and you were not, I can say with 100% certainty there’s no stink where I stand.​

That is your opinion. Just know that if you choose to defy the closure, there is a good likelihood (as I have stated above) we will not be able to get any more projects approved in the park, so the trail system will stagnate, just so that you and your buds can continue to use a small section of poorly designed, eroding trail. Yay you.​

I look forward to trying the new trail at LM , it amazes me that people still bitch about stuff like this . It's all volunteer work , thx @jumpa for putting in all the effort and everyone else , it's very appreciated when you put your personal life on hold to go out after work and do this stuff , sucks getting home at 830-9 midweek covered in sweat and dirt but you do it because you love it .So THANK YOU to all involved with the new trail and shutting down the DH .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions