XC SKI 101, Things You Need to Know

JerseyPete

Thank you for sharing that. I have been looking at those, the marquette and one's made in PA with steel teeth on the bottom. I may now go with the Hok's.
Thanks,

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I'm a newbie to the Nordic thing still, but after renting at Thompson Park in Lincroft a few times, I decided I enjoyed it enough to purchase my own gear, with the idea of being able to hit local parks and do some exploring, in addition to hitting groomed stuff when I can.

After geeking out on the options for a while, I settled on the Rossignol Evo OT65. These are the same ski as the BC65, but with only a partial metal edge. They seem willing to do anything I can imagine, with my limited skill set, and I'm pretty confident I'll be happy with them even as my ability improves. I'm using NNN bindings and mid-level Rossi touring boots.

https://www.rossignol.com/us/rossignol-ot-65-positrack-skis-nordic-rhgwc06-000-2018-2019.html

1544189827775.png

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Who is ready to xc ski? There is plenty of snow up north, don't be fooled by snowless NJ. This is a good way to get introduced to xc skiing and or learn technique, plus Sunday will be warmer.

Free Cross-Country Ski Clinics :: - Sunday, February 3rd, 12-3pm
- Sunday February 10th, 12-3pm

All ages are welcome, K-adult!
Beginner to advanced skill levels.

- Park in the Gatehouse Parking Lot.
- Tell the Attendants you are participating in the ski clinic and they’ll waive the parking fee and entrance fee.
- Each participant will need to fill out Mohonk’s Assumption of Risk Waiver. For children under 18, a parent must fill out the form and sign it. You can get the form ahead of time at skithegunks.com under the “Events” tab. Or fill it out when you arrive.

RSVP:
Appreciated but not required. skithegunks@gmail.com or send us a message on Facebook

INSTRUCTORS:
- Clinics will be held by the New Paltz and Wallkill Nordic Ski Teams, Parents, and members of the Shawangunk Nordic Ski Association.

RENTAL EQUIPMENT:
- You may rent the night before or day of the clinics at Rock and Snow in New Paltz or EMS in Gardiner
- Rent equipment at Rock and Snow in New Paltz for a discounted price of $10 for the day. Let them know if you are going to classic or skate ski. Skate style boots are limited.
- You may bring your own equipment.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Took the Hoks out this morning. This snow isn’t exactly wha I call fun - heavy and dense. They are very fun on flat and rolling hills. Turning in a non-plastic boot is a bit of a challenge. The snow didn’t help. But they are very fun. Exactly what I was looking for.

I found leaning forward a bit when going downhill helps out with speed and control.

It was nice to be out.

8FBFB8DC-EA59-4FC8-8267-F7B5EFBE5680.jpegB30E23B3-667D-49FF-899F-A7C1C951B546.jpeg8ADC2B5D-DAC9-4818-95D2-329F14CB6A17.jpeg

Last edited:

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Took the Hoks out this morning. This snow isn’t exactly wha I call fun - heavy and dense. They are very fun on flat and rolling hills. Turning in a non-plastic boot is a bit of a challenge. The snow didn’t help. But they are very fun. Exactly what I was looking for.

I found leaning forward a bit when going downhill helps out with speed and control.

It was nice to be out.

View attachment 89277View attachment 89278View attachment 89279

You should take those over to 6MR. Oh wait. Nevermind.

xc62701

I went out Friday after the storm for a bit at the Central Park of Morris. It was good for the first lap or two and then it started to deteriorate. There wasn't that much snow and it got warm and every time I picked my foot up a chunk of the snow came with it. It was a good workout for the hour I did.467DE185-CEBA-4324-A454-29985B586537.png535BF486-06E5-4850-8506-4E7394E5012C.jpeg3B87E098-1CBF-42B6-946A-4E6D1E0C8EFC.jpeg416A91A8-49CB-47B1-926C-4B538461DC59.jpeg

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Is 6-8" too much snow.

Entirely too much. Wait. Not at all.

I went out Friday after the storm for a bit at the Central Park of Morris. It was good for the first lap or two and then it started to deteriorate. There wasn't that much snow and it got warm and every time I picked my foot up a chunk of the snow came with it.

I used a swix wax. Comes in a little tin, pop it in your pocket. Once the skis start collecting snow brush some on, give it about three minutes to dry and you’re good for another hour or so. I’ll take a pic of what I have when I get home. Works great and is super easy to use.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
every time I picked my foot up a chunk of the snow came with it. It was a
I used a swix wax.
That would be F4 Swix wax. Its a basic glide wax that comes in paste form, you work it into bottom of skis.
Waxing is often over looked, whether it be on down hill or xc skis. Not only will it prevent the build up of snow sticking to bottom of xc skis, it will help tremendously with glide. When you weight a xc ski, it will glide and help propel you forward, to maintain that glide you need to wax...even though it's a waxless ski. When you weight a downhill ski, it will help you turn, waxing it will help your skis turn with less effort.

20190304_143252.jpg

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
That would be F4 Swix wax. Its a basic glide wax that comes in paste form, you work it into bottom of skis.

That’s the stuff - I couldnt remember the F. Which is funny, because when it comes to F’ing stuff, I have a good memory.

cbiker

They got about a foot up in mahlon breaking trail sucked the first lap but it was good after that. Cascade is broken out now.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
They got about a foot up in mahlon breaking trail sucked the first lap but it was good after that. Cascade is broken out now.
I got to Watchung around 12pm, the hikers and snow shoe-er helped beat down the snow, I only had to break trail for about a mile. North face was good, I should have known better to go over to south, it was too thin and too wet, i jumped back over to north at first trail head.
20190304_135635.jpg

JerseyPete

It was nice to be out.

Likewise for me. I tried a little area of High Mountain. Snow was sticky.
20190304_161005.jpg

xc62701

Waxing is often over looked, whether it be on down hill or xc skis. Not only will it prevent the build up of snow sticking to bottom of xc skis, it will help tremendously with glide. When you weight a xc ski, it will glide and help propel you forward, to maintain that glide you need to wax...even though it's a waxless ski. When you weight a downhill ski, it will help you turn, waxing it will help your skis turn with less effort.

View attachment 89301
That was my first thought. It’s a waxless ski. But it still benefits from wax?

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
That was my first thought. It’s a waxless ski. But it still benefits from wax?

It does.

It’s not a hot wax tho (the type for DH skis where you use an iron and scraper to put it on). It’s more of a chemical coat that repels water.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Do you use these on your Hoks? Not on the skin part, but the front and rear areas?

I use it on the whole thing - even the skins. You just have to apply it on the skins carefully - only in the direction the skin folds flat - not against it. It really helps.

Top Bottom