Wildlife

Encountered a mama bear and two cubs at Allamuchy today. They all hopped up a tree when they saw me. Does anyone carry bear spray while riding or is that overkill? Black bears aren’t grizzlies, but I’m not looking to upset a mother bear around her cubs.

Encountered a mama bear and two cubs at Allamuchy today. They all hopped up a tree when they saw me. Does anyone carry bear spray while riding or is that overkill? Black bears aren’t grizzlies, but I’m not looking to upset a mother bear around her cubs.
Easier to just ride with some one slower than you

Ive seen people use bear bells b4. If you can stand the noise yourself. Guess it beats having your hear swatted off comin around a corner....

In less than 10 minutes this afternoon I saw 3 different turtles laying their eggs. The first one looks like it had some damage to its shell and a bump on it

IMG_4598.jpegIMG_4599.jpegIMG_4601.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4601.jpeg
    IMG_4601.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4599.jpeg
    IMG_4599.jpeg
    237.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4598.jpeg
    IMG_4598.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 1
The last 5 times I rode in northwest NJ (Delaware Water Gap and Stokes State forest), I had a bear sighting each time. No issues with them, I try to give them an audible warning from far away. Pic below was in DWG, mom with 2 cubs about 200 yards away. Heard my bell and headed into the woods with her cubs. On these 5 rides in last 1 month I've seen about 10 bears. That's more than I've seen in about 10 years before 2023.

PXL_20230629_113646388~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom