Wildlife management on sundays?

Would be nice if the "published" state could be dynamic and hinged on the dates and times they are open to the public. When hunting is active, the trails can disappear but during those envelopes where hunting is prohibited and non-hunting activities are allowed (ie. summer, sundays after noon, february 31st, 6th tuesdays of the month, etc) they could become active and visible.
Would be nice. Certainly seems like something like that could be. The current closed condition of the "Allaire" trail expires on Mar 1. I guess that means condition automatically reverts to green all clear?

Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 10.19.58 AM.png

Would be nice. Certainly seems like something like that could be. The current closed condition of the "Allaire" trail expires on Mar 1. I guess that means condition automatically reverts to green all clear?

View attachment 226324

This is the correct way to do expiring restrictions.

Reactions: SAM
There is a second designation to not publish the trail, so they can be unsanctioned and visible.

I don't disagree with you. They should be marked closed with the hunting season note.
Maybe we (KenS?) can work with DEP rep on this? I think more information on the rules and regs of WMA trails is better than no info.

Maybe we (KenS?) can work with DEP rep on this? I think more information on the rules and regs of WMA trails is better than no info.

I can see who did the last update, and how they did it. I haven't looked, but I know the easiest way is a bulk update to the area.

They may have thought about it as unsanctioned and hid them for hike/bike during the season rather than closed.

Ken has a bunch of things going. If I can reach the person with a better plan, I will. Not sure I can tho.

Last edited:
I've reached out about the idea - no promises.

Tom had some back and forth with the WMA rep about how to handle these things. What you see now was the result of some back and forth to find a reasonable path forward. So, yes, they are engaged in the discussion. I recall Tom's point being that we can't ignore the fact the trails are there (i didn't initially remember that, only their first request to have all the trails removed from TF.... my bad).

True stuff the larger issue is when the non-sanctioned trails get burned in they are at that time just rode.
This really upsets some folks who in turn go to the DEP and complain and they do have good reason to.
Tom spent a lot of time talking this out with the DEP folks to work out a solution to make all the groups happy.
We need to remember that the hunters pay to hunt so they will get miffed if we stop on their toes.
A while back we had a naturalist that took the entire mapping both TF and a few other maps to the park.
He was quite upset that the MTB folks had that many miles and were ruining his nature walks.
He had every right to be upset but he did try to show that all the trails sanctioned or not were always in use.
So the net is we try to not ride any non-santioned rails and if we do find ourslefs on one of them just quietly ride off it as quickly as possible.
I know this was a bit long winded, but try to be understanding on how much stuff goes on in the background for every trail system we ride.

At this point, the suggestion of marking sanctioned trails as closed for hunting season has reached the decision maker.

I believe it is an excellent suggestion and stands on the merits of transparency and dissemination of information.

It is late in the game, but it may lead to a best practice next year.

Good discussion.

Thank you Matt, Mike, and Ken for the insight.

I guess I don't know how all this works. Forgive my ignorance. I thought use of TF could educate riders and hikers about proper use of the trails. Maybe I'm living in la la land.

I noticed that many trails in TF are listed as "unsanctioned". That includes the "Allaire" trail I was putting up as an example in the above post.
Right on Sam, and please note that my comment re: people not interested in proper channels was not directed at you, but those who choose to build trails without permission of the land manager inside of one of the more active WMA's in the region.

At this point, the suggestion of marking sanctioned trails as closed for hunting season has reached the decision maker.

I believe it is an excellent suggestion and stands on the merits of transparency and dissemination of information.

It is late in the game, but it may lead to a best practice next year.

Good discussion.

Thank you Matt, Mike, and Ken for the insight.
Thank you Pat. I will also bring this up with our folks who've worked on getting the descriptions added to TF in conjunction with the WMA/DEP staff to ensure we're doing our best to accurately display the state of play there.

The vast majority of the trails in question here are unsanctioned, and the state is paying attention. DEP reps are admins on Trailforks, and we (JORBA Trailforks Admins) provide our experience and support in using the app to assist them in marking trails therein. It is frustrating to me to read calls for proper documentation of trails that were built and entered into the crowd sourced TF app by people who are clearly uninterested in pursuing the proper channels to develop trails.

I try really hard to assume best intentions, but it often feels like every time we make a positive impact with our government partners, we have to answer for another negative action outside of our membership.
I have run into the guy who posted those signs. He has had a tent set up for several weeks in the woods where Sally Ike runs into Allenwood-Lakewood Road-not far from the church. Nice guy, and he hunts with his son. Not sure why the tent is there, but I just ride past and shake my head.

I respect the rules and only ride on Sundays, but during the gun season(s) for deer, I avoid the WMA areas. Several hunters told me that many of them consume alcohol while in their tree stands. I have a hunter orange helmet, and hopefully that makes a difference.

As to negative actions- a few years ago, ran into a father and son digging holes and making jumps and berms in one section of the WMA. I politely told him that his actions were not permitted and would only upset the hunters and WMA, and he basically told me to GFY. I shook my head and rode on. Never saw the guy or his son again, but their damage remains, and their jumps are overgrown with weeds and brush. 🤷‍♂️

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions