Wilderness 101

Anyone doing it this year? Any suggestions or tips for a first timer? What tires are you running?
Pretty much what @xc62701 . I have done it 5 times on ss and once on gears. It's brutal with the heat. The first year I did it the heat index was like 107or something and I drank 18 bottles that day. If it's your first hundred you really can't go out to easy. If you try to go out hard you will pay for it by the time you get to the second or third climb and STILLHOUSE. Lots of gravel.Like 60% or more gravel. I ran Ardents the first year, Ardent race the second year and aspens every year since. Make sure to bring a tube,co2s etc as the baby heads and rock gardens slay tires. With this said it's still my favorite race.

Chiming in as it's been on my bucketlist for a long time and on my radar to do this year. 6x Trans-Sylvania Epic participant, so I'm familiar with the terrain and many of the trails. Always questioned my fitness to be able to complete, but no question this year. The heat and weather forecast is the only concern keeping me from registering currently.

Last 2 TSEs I've used a Pivot T429v3 with Maxxis Dissector/Rekon 2.4 combo because of #eastcoastrocks. Probably over biked, but I had my fastest time this year.

That being said, have considered the 100mm, geared HT with XC geometry because of the amount of gravel. Also still have a 100mm FS XC bike that I was planning to sell when I got the T429, but didn't get around to it yet.

I'm very comfortable on the T429 and will probably use it with a new design Forkaster 2.4 on the front and Rekon 2.4 rear.

Anyone doing it this year? Any suggestions or tips for a first timer? What tires are you running?
I brought a camelback, as some of the aid stations are quite far apart time wise with the amount of climbing. Not a race for weight weenie brakes- the descents are long and chunky. I never Understood the need for “marathon” bikes - a bit longer travel, etc- until the last half of this race, where my 2018 epic was a shade outclassed. Id run fast, durable tires- I like the SBC renegades, but would use aspens too- and make sure you limit yourself on the first two climbs. It’s hot on the biggest climb of the day- the one right after the highway underpass- and that saps the will power quite effectively.

I brought a camelback, as some of the aid stations are quite far apart time wise with the amount of climbing. Not a race for weight weenie brakes- the descents are long and chunky. I never Understood the need for “marathon” bikes - a bit longer travel, etc- until the last half of this race, where my 2018 epic was a shade outclassed. Id run fast, durable tires- I like the SBC renegades, but would use aspens too- and make sure you limit yourself on the first two climbs. It’s hot on the biggest climb of the day- the one right after the highway underpass- and that saps the will power quite effectively.
Good intel. I've been considering using my 100mm Scalpel instead of the 130/120mm Pivot T429 I used at TSE a few weeks ago. It's so much more capable on the descents and the fork/shock having open/firm/locked settings vs. the Scalpel being open or locked out.

Biggest climb of the day at mile 70 = Stillhouse Hollow Rd.

It’s called the middle finger from God for a reason 🤣
Funny, that climbs is a biotch. The two times I failed climbing it were on an easy 34/21 and 34/19 ss gear. I actually climbed the whole thing on a 34/17 and 34/18. Maybe the big gear was less tiring I'm not sure. The first part is hard but you are still kinda alive. It's the last part that for some reason you don't need to but your mind tells you to hop off and walk.

Good intel. I've been considering using my 100mm Scalpel instead of the 130/120mm Pivot T429 I used at TSE a few weeks ago. It's so much more capable on the descents and the fork/shock having open/firm/locked settings vs. the Scalpel being open or locked out.

Biggest climb of the day at mile 70 = Stillhouse Hollow Rd.
Trail 429 all day. I had my best performance at Shen on a 100mm hardtail but swear I would have been an hour faster on any full squish with a 120 fork or even just a 120 on the hardtail. These long races destroy you on hammered xc bikes.

That’s abusive! Right at the end… 🤣

I’ve have absolutely ripped up it and crawled up it. Crawling more then ripping for sure.
My PR was a crawl. 3 for 6 making a full pull.
Trail 429 all day. I had my best performance at Shen on a 100mm hardtail but swear I would have been an hour faster on any full squish with a 120 fork or even just a 120 on the hardtail. These long races destroy you on hammered xc bikes.
I came here to read SS is faster. I haven't ridden the Scalpel since my thumb injury causing crash on Halloween '21. Safe to say the T429 will get the start.
Done it Twice.......12 hours one time.....and the other.....14 plus...needed lights.....that's on a geared 29'r........YEAH Yeah......Slow old guy....but.....10,000 ft of climbing is TOUGH.!!!
Slow old guy? Age X<54<Y ?

Once over the first climb settle into a comfortable pace, it is easy to overextend going out decker valley and crowfield to aid 1. It helps to be in a group but unless you have some road miles you can easily overextend here and when you hit the repeated climbs after Aid 1 you will have paid the price. Enjoy your riding between Aid 2 and 4 as this is the best part of the course with the most single track of the race.

The descents are not sections to recover, Detweiller, New Laurel Run Trl, Croyle, Pigpile, No Name and Panther Run/Little Poe are all descents that keep you on your toes. Keep your focus climbing Stillhouse and if you get to the top of that no matter how bad you feel keep going because the rest is not that bad (except panther run/little poe descent). Also, sometimes it's better to keep going because it's common at this race if you drop at an aid station you will wait hours for a ride back.

Youre saying the renegades are durable? I have one on the rear now with a fast track on the front but was thinking I may go with a ground control front and rear for a little extra insurance.

Youre saying the renegades are durable? I have one on the rear now with a fast track on the front but was thinking I may go with a ground control front and rear for a little extra insurance.
Renegade controls or grids are quite durable, the s works casing seems to be a bit less so.

Anyone looking for an entry? I’m thinking I’ll hold off and give this a go when I can try to enjoy it next year. I’ll save you some cash and help me out. Current reg fee is $210. Buy mine for $180 and I’ll pay the transfer fee.

Back
Top Bottom