Wider Bars = Awesome!

GregE21

I just put the Race Face Atlas FR on my 2010 GF X-cal and I'm shocked at how much of a difference these bars make. I was running stock flat bars that are 24.5" for about a year to the Atlas which is 31".

It's definitely a little excessive, but I'm gonna have fun with it for a few rides.

Any suggestions for a size to cut down the bars for a 5'10", 165lb Allamuchy, Ringwood rider?

Do a quarter of an inch each at a time and stop when you like it.

Im the same size as you (Height and weight) and have my bars are 720mm, on the DH bike they are a full 780mm. I find the 780s are just to much handle bar for the trails around here(very tight spots between trees which cause you to hit your brakes and weave thru). Plus you aren't going fast enough to need that extra leverage on the XC bike like you do on the DH bike.

my 2 cents

Your stem length will also come into play when determining the optimum bar length. With a shorter stem you can get away with a longer bar, and still maintain enough flex in your elbows for proper body position.

I'm 5'10" and run a 711mm bar on my trail bikes.

I run the deity Dirty30 Handlebar , works great , if i need to size them down i cut them down when needed . I am only 5'9'' but i have a wide upper body as well .

Most people seem happy in the 27-28" range...but do like JShort says. It's your bike so find where you are most comfortable.

Dam son, 31". That def sounds excessive. Like everyone else says cut a little off at a time. Give each size a chance to see how it feels. I think its safe to cut off a little bit the first time. I also usually ride bars around 27-28" but again, its personal preferance.

Dial in bar length....

I had the same question six months ago when purchasing a new bike moved me from 22" to 28", and the answer I got here worked out.

Rather than doing a lot of cutting right away, just move your shifters and brakes in by that amount ( 1/4"? ) and see how it feels for a few rides first.

I wound up doing no cutting in the end. It can feel a bit tight with trees in certain spots but plenty doable.

-W

I had the same question six months ago when purchasing a new bike moved me from 22" to 28", and the answer I got here worked out.

Rather than doing a lot of cutting right away, just move your shifters and brakes in by that amount ( 1/4"? ) and see how it feels for a few rides first.

I wound up doing no cutting in the end. It can feel a bit tight with trees in certain spots but plenty doable.

-W

Thats exactly what I was just going to say. might seem silly running your grips, levers and shifters in but you will get a good feel of the bar and see if you like it shorter or not.

like Jeff said, the stem length has a huge part in it. Mine is 50mm short, I like it that way because I ride more aggressive and can attack the turns better.

Back
Top Bottom