Why is H2H hurting when MASS is doing well?

A ridicuosly easy course, technically at least, was scheduled first in Medford. But at the same time its a road race, and if you don't have fitness you will be thrown out the back quickly. While an easy course, it has different demands that people aren't always ready for coming off the winter.

While it would be nice to schedule these races in some sort of order, I am more suprised we have parks and venues that allow us to have races in the first place. I am just kinda happy promoters get any races on the schedule.

The easiest courses first angle is stupid.
giphy.gif

A ridicuosly easy course, technically at least, was scheduled first in Medford. But at the same time its a road race, and if you don't have fitness you will be thrown out the back quickly. While an easy course, it has different demands that people aren't always ready for coming off the winter.
msty.gif

@David Taylor its all good and I enjoy the discussion and creative ideas, I was just noting your two examples and apples and oranges.

We hope to see you out there!

You did remind me of how I would like to one day include a trail run with a bike race and maybe get some cross pollination happening.
How about
Bulldog rump is by far the easiest...

After 20 minutes, you blow out both tires, run out of tubes ans co2s and walk out...
unlees you’re like me and have never flatted in a race :eek:

After 6 pages of comments it obvious to me that there is no one single solution to reversing the dwindling participation rates of MTB racing. The whole bicycle industry is dire straights so why are we suprised that fee based cycling events are not immune to the same pressures ? How many of us (former)racers know fellow riders who have never raced and would never even entertain the thought of racing ?
Have you asked them why ?
What is the value that racing brings to the our community ? Is there actually any value ?

After 6 pages of comments it obvious to me that there is no one single solution to reversing the dwindling participation rates of MTB racing. The whole bicycle industry is dire straights so why are we suprised that fee based cycling events are not immune to the same pressures ? How many of us (former)racers know fellow riders who have never raced and would never even entertain the thought of racing ?
Have you asked them why ?
What is the value that racing brings to the our community ? Is there actually any value ?

Are you coming Sunday? If so, this is an interesting topic of conversation.

Why stay married to the BSA ? Aside from mutual benefit, it is limiting. I say this without enough knowledge to suggest an alternate venue.
or at least staging area. ?
FYI......The Town of Byram just put a new park in (Tamarack Park) right straight across from the Waving willy Green trail Entrance to Allamuchy that is right on 206 off of the rail trail. Between that and the 206 park and ride which is right there too you would potentially have an Allamuchy start place with parking (If the town would buy in). The current town council has been trying to do new things and may be approachable to an event that was inclusive in some way.

FYI......The Town of Byram just put a new park in (Tamarack Park) right straight across from the Waving willy Green trail Entrance to Allamuchy that is right on 206 off of the rail trail. Between that and the 206 park and ride which is right there too you would potentially have an Allamuchy start place with parking (If the town would buy in). The current town council has been trying to do new things and may be approachable to an event that was inclusive in some way.

I would think Waterloo Village would give us the best entry point for parking. Or the concert field but I think that may be harder with the park. But IDK.

I am open to ideas.

I would think Waterloo Village would give us the best entry point for parking. Or the concert field but I think that may be harder with the park. But IDK.

I am open to ideas.
You're probably right, just throwing it out there.

ANother point i forgot is team points/standings.I have friends that have raced mass series just cas of team points.Many times from a few different people i have got the response "no i can not ride sat/sunday my team needs the points etc".
Correct me if i am wrong but the h2h has no official team standings. @Norm 2 out of 3 you mentioned do not have h2h races this year.I may be seeing what i want to see but i also was at both series races the last 2 years..
we are also forgeting that the mass series has 10 xc races not including some endurance only events compared to h2h with 6 this year and they go the whole month of may with no race and july and august with 1 each month....lame
edited:just seen that stewart was changed.Probably a good thing i remember 2 years ago thinking i was gonna get shot from gun shot blast from hunters.
im not hating just my opinion.
i will not be going to fair hill for the same reason i will not race lewmo being even 20 mins away...i like tech trails.
i have raced mooch and stewart the last few years and short track is what got me into racing.so i may not be all about h2h but i do support the blue and orange..i will be out there sunday rassin endurance

Last edited:
The team thing was tossed around a few years ago in H2H but it didn't work out. I may be wrong and someone can correct me on it, but I think it was tied somehow to trail maintenance hours and not just race performance and there were like 5 teams that competed so it was just dropped.

I say support local, like bike shops and retail stores, if you don't support, it will disappear.
You don't know what you had till it's gone. There are so many great places to ride locally, being able to stay local to race and ride is awesome imo. I don't understand why someone would want to leave there home field to race another out of state venue. NJ may be fucked up, but I'd rather support people I know locally and build grass root relationships if I can.

I was out at the NICA race on Saturday and the setup with all the banners was a real eye catcher. All the track tape and signage was impressive, we even made chicanes it was really cool. I believe it made everything seem important to the kids. Maybe spruce things up a little?

I was out at the NICA race on Saturday and the setup with all the banners was a real eye catcher. All the track tape and signage was impressive, we even made chicanes it was really cool. I believe it made everything seem important to the kids. Maybe spruce things up a little?
The budget for those races is incredible. That stuff costs a crap ton of money. There are major sponsors behind the national part of the organization, and some pretty big ones at the state level as well. Plus, they have 50-80 volunteers each day, for two days. We had four guys in the woods today in the rain with tape and arrows (Thanks guys).

Back
Top Bottom