Who likes to smoke their meat?

JonF

Yeah, 321 is great on the pellet grill if you like fall off the bone style. My wife does, me not so much. I've modified it to 3-1-1 to reduce the braise portion of the sequence as its really the step that takes it to that level. For me, it becomes 3 hours smoke for flavor, 1 hour foiled braise to tenderize, 1 hour unfoiled to dry up the bark and/or mop your sauce. You can even do the last 2 hours of braise and bark steps in your oven at 225 and spare the pellets as not much more smoking will be going on at that point.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Whats your preferred rib method?
Let me update: it’s not the f-ing 3-2-1 for damn sure, and we ain’t even at the table yet.
Even using dry foil, they are too fall apart.

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Okay, ultimately it wasn’t a total wash.
Peeps loved them, and the nice thing is when you plate up you can leave the bones on the platter. Lol.

Of course the Dijon brown sugar smoked salmon I made for the non-meater was the best thing on the plate. Lol.
33A8926D-1A82-419E-9813-91AF1F3ABEA5.jpeg
That glob is Dijon that fell from the upper rack

The salmon. Fucking awesome.
94EF6B8E-64B9-4190-844A-A4656AE30016.jpeg

Hot sauce tied the plate together nicely.
I skipped the beans, but sweet tater fries and bacon jalapeño Mac and Jesus.
0BBCA716-AEE7-4C26-BD93-72CE3F6F61F1.jpeg

And BBQ worthy
E6360AE3-8B9F-4FDA-A5ED-2BD45616FE17.jpeg

serviceguy

3 hours open smoke, meat side up
2 hours wrapped in foil, meat side down
1 hour out of foil, sauced to make a nice crust
Ah, not for me. I like my meat mooing…also, what is the meat side? It looks all meat to me!

Oh!, ribs! Duh!

Last edited:

qclabrat

Okay, ultimately it wasn’t a total wash.
Peeps loved them, and the nice thing is when you plate up you can leave the bones on the platter. Lol.

Of course the Dijon brown sugar smoked salmon I made for the non-meater was the best thing on the plate. Lol.
View attachment 203487
That glob is Dijon that fell from the upper rack

The salmon. Fucking awesome.
View attachment 203486

Hot sauce tied the plate together nicely.
I skipped the beans, but sweet tater fries and bacon jalapeño Mac and Jesus.
View attachment 203488

And BBQ worthy
View attachment 203489
Mmm, Mac n cheese and sweet fries makes for a nice plate. Have you tried the first 3 hrs with meat side up? I been going with meat shrinkage the last few years than following an absolute 3-2-1.

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Situation last night:
Operation Smoked Pig Shots
95961AFB-DC4B-4D43-8001-8B0D67F20A20.jpeg

66DA49D5-A0E9-4805-A5B9-715B0DD23223.jpeg

12B0A6EB-556B-4505-9156-2411AB5DA491.jpeg

87D2291D-E566-4429-83A8-B23AC32005C3.jpeg

Made one critical error, cut a corner.
Recipe calls for a couple of tbsps of dry rub, since it was a big undertaking used store bought dry rub.

This was wrong because A) Cajun isn’t the right flavor, sugar rub more better, and 2) store bought rub is salty AF.
Argh.
They’ll be fine, but I won’t be lazy next time.
Just didn’t want to make a batch of rub for a small amount. Stupid.

Situation right now:
C1CD5773-4368-494B-BCF5-5A5202C2A168.jpeg

A341B381-52AD-48D4-84F3-7D959806CF67.jpeg

B2B47D9D-7E03-48A4-9FA7-D960D8120676.jpeg

Filling is cream cheese based, and recipe calls for you to make waaay more than you need, so breffast is as some on a jalapeño cheddar bagel. Not bad.
1F708E45-79B9-490A-8E48-2FD0E5851C22.jpeg

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not meat, but ocean meat?
Salmon with Dijon and brown sugar on the smoker last night.
Sooooooo good
62E2C798-3160-4878-AFE2-C3A0673CAE67.jpeg

How it started
93FF014C-B5AE-484B-B057-77F0957F477C.jpeg
This is when the pellet machine pays for itself. Just fill the hopper, set it and it’ll sort things out, no fussing to try to get/keep temp.
If I was doing a longer smoke, I’d have broken out the welder’s blanket to lay on top to help keep temp, but this only takes about an hour.

C1EF369A-CA81-46CD-AE52-38284034759D.jpeg

Then there’s the breeze of clean up.
Clean off the grates (disposable drip tray below), empty the hopper and pull on the cover. Done.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Not meat, but ocean meat?
Salmon with Dijon and brown sugar on the smoker last night.
Sooooooo good
View attachment 204903

How it started
View attachment 204902
This is when the pellet machine pays for itself. Just fill the hopper, set it and it’ll sort things out, no fussing to try to get/keep temp.
If I was doing a longer smoke, I’d have broken out the welder’s blanket to lay on top to help keep temp, but this only takes about an hour.

View attachment 204904

Then there’s the breeze of clean up.
Clean off the grates (disposable drip tray below), empty the hopper and pull on the cover. Done.

ooh - you gotta salt brine some next time, then make a smoked salmon spread - use the frozen kind for that...

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So, I picked up a pellet smoker right before Christmas and I’m freakin hooked. I haven’t cooked anything crazy yet but everything has come out amazing. I’ve never smoked (meat 😏) before so this is a learning curve. The only “long” smoke I’ve done so far was a pork butt for Christmas Eve; was up at 3am in 10 degrees to get it going. It may have been the best pulled pork I’ve ever tasted and that’s coming from someone that lives in South Carolina. We had a bday party for my sister last night, dad was cookin burgers for dinner so last minute I grabbed four or five pounds of wings and tossed em on the smoker for an appetizer…they were gone in like 5 min. My nephew had his mom text me today to see when I would cook them again 🤣

I honestly never noticed this thread or just scrolled past it but I’ll prolly be a regular in here now.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What ya'll smokin?

I did pork loin last night....sooooo good and easy to do on a week night. Trim it, rub it, throw it on and come back in about 1.5hrs. This is the third one I've done since I got the smoker just because it takes zero effort and comes out bangin. I let this one rest longer than the others and it was a total game changer. Never realized how much juice you lose by cutting too early.

qclabrat

What ya'll smokin?

I did pork loin last night....sooooo good and easy to do on a week night. Trim it, rub it, throw it on and come back in about 1.5hrs. This is the third one I've done since I got the smoker just because it takes zero effort and comes out bangin. I let this one rest longer than the others and it was a total game changer. Never realized how much juice you lose by cutting too early.
At what temp are you pulling your meat? Waiting for @MadisonDan to chime in...

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Pork loins almost feel like cheating between how cheap they are to buy and how easy they are to cook.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pork loins almost feel like cheating between how cheap they are to buy and how easy they are to cook.
I never had much luck with them before the smoker, always came out dry. I’ve been using a Meat Church rub, blanking on which one but it’s got a bit of sweetness to it, then smoking with apple wood. It really is so damn easy and comes out amazing.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I never had much luck with them before the smoker, always came out dry. I’ve been using a Meat Church rub, blanking on which one but it’s got a bit of sweetness to it, then smoking with apple wood. It really is so damn easy and comes out amazing.

can be brined too...flavor and a little extra juice on the end.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
can be brined too...flavor and a little extra juice on the end.
I’ve never brined anything before but I was looking up recipes the other day. I have a really small turkey in the freezer that was a left over from TG that I think I might experiment with.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What ya'll smokin?

no invite!!

Top Bottom