Who likes to smoke their meat?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
the ribs were on auto-pilot - first batch came off around 4:00 - then 6:00 - then just a few minutes ago.
plenty left - you want me to bring some on wednesday?
That is quite the offer and I'd 100% say yes, except I can't make it tomorrow and I think it's raining anyway?

CABuilder

Last weekend's project. A 15.5lb brisket on the BGE. It rocked if I do say so myself. And I do.

I've found that cooked brisket freezes remarkably well, too. Reheated slowly, I like 225F, it acts like it just came off the fire.

Attachments

• Big Brisket on BGE.jpg
    Big Brisket on BGE.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 11

qclabrat

Last weekend's project. A 15.5lb brisket on the BGE. It rocked if I do say so myself. And I do.

I've found that cooked brisket freezes remarkably well, too. Reheated slowly, I like 225F, it acts like it just came off the fire.
nice, how long in the BGE and what size you running?

CABuilder

nice, how long in the BGE and what size you running?

I have the Large BGE. How long depends on how long that particular piece of meat takes to reach temperature. I like brisket to hit 203F internal temp. Plan on 12+ hours at 225F for most cooks. I've had some go 18+. The most workable plan for me is to put it on the Egg around 10p the night before we want to eat it. Go to sleep, wake up whenever and check the temp. Crack open a frosty beverage(s) and repeat temp checks until hits the magic number!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I have the Large BGE. How long depends on how long that particular piece of meat takes to reach temperature. I like brisket to hit 203F internal temp. Plan on 12+ hours at 225F for most cooks. I've had some go 18+. The most workable plan for me is to put it on the Egg around 10p the night before we want to eat it. Go to sleep, wake up whenever and check the temp. Crack open a frosty beverage(s) and repeat temp checks until hits the magic number!

do you wrap your brisket after a certain temp? or add liquid?

this is making me hungry.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker

The competition guys wrap their brisket in foil when the temp hits 150-160 to get through the stall faster, because time is a factor. If you have a bullet, you might want to consider it since it's harder to keep it at temp for 12+ hours. In the BGE though, you just power through it. My buddy has a BGE and does the same thing as CABuilder, puts it in at 10pm and goes to sleep.

qclabrat

I'm still deciding on what to get for Florida home but right now BGE made in Mexico vs Primo made in USA at basically same price, more features with Primo - I'll probably go Primo.
I don't think you can go wrong with either. BGE has the slight edge on popularity and warranty so it won't likely go out of business before you die. I haven't shopped for either, as I need a competition cooker and the ceramics are way too delicate to transport on a regular basis. Though I'd love to have one at home.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I has/have BGE envy

Downside to wrapping is that you don’t get those nice crispy burnt-ends and bark. You have to finish on a grill after the smoke to get some of it back, but its not the same. Opinions are split on the bark, but I’m a huge fan of the crisp. Since the stall is due to evaporative cooling, you can minimize it by playing with the amount of water in the drip-pan and amount of convection in your cooker, but its still going to take longer than wrapping it.

I’m getting an Egg next season, I’ve seen it enough in action vs. other methods that it’s a no-brainer. Buy or build a good base for it and it should never break. I know someone with a Rec-Tec pellet smoker, everything comes out perfect all of the time, but its kind of like cheating, and I don’t think the flavor is as good as using/mixing hunks of wood.

CABuilder

To wrap or not to wrap...that is a preference.

I have done all kinds of methods, but I believe the keys are two things:
1) available time: wrap (also known as "crutch") takes you from the stall point (usually somewhere around 155F to done faster than non-wrapped
2) desired bark: wraps of any kind mute the crunchy deliciousness of the bark by softening it from the trapped liquid/humidity.

My current choice is to not wrap. I like the results better 'nekkid'. Keeping the cook temp low throughout will keep your meat moist. (Huh huh huh, he said keep your meat moist...)

CABuilder

The competition guys wrap their brisket in foil when the temp hits 150-160 to get through the stall faster, because time is a factor. If you have a bullet, you might want to consider it since it's harder to keep it at temp for 12+ hours. In the BGE though, you just power through it. My buddy has a BGE and does the same thing as CABuilder, puts it in at 10pm and goes to sleep.

You are right on the money here. We are all trying to keep a specific fire temperature for "as long as it takes" and the BBQ Gods throw all kinds of obstacles in our way. Use any means you have to maintain constant temp and monitor the internal temp to know when it's at meaty perfection.

qclabrat

Weekend's here, I'm thinking beef ribs....what about you all?
that would be nice, did them once and took forever to get the shrinkage you have up there

you got me, will do a simple rack or two of spares and maybe a belly
want chikin also but not much luck without a second smoker
first smoke in quite a while, let us know how yours turns out

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I need a new dual probe thermometer. Anyone use a wireless/bluetooth thermometer that actually works? The one I tried in the past would constantly disconnect from my phone if I went in my house. Made the whole idea kind of useless.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I need a new dual probe thermometer. Anyone use a wireless/bluetooth thermometer that actually works? The one I tried in the past would constantly disconnect from my phone if I went in my house. Made the whole idea kind of useless.

i have the igrill 4-probe. works fine up to 50' or so.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Maverick ET-733, it has a 300ft. range

Maverick ET-733, it has a 300ft. range because its good old-fashioned radio, so you can work in your yard, go have a beer with the neighbor, etc. Stay away from the blue-tooth ones because the range sucks.

qclabrat

For a BGE, get the Flame Boss w/ wifi if you care about maintaining smoker temps.
The Maverick is pretty much the benchmark for monitoring meat temps

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
For a BGE, get the Flame Boss w/ wifi if you care about maintaining smoker temps.
The Maverick is pretty much the benchmark for monitoring meat temps

Just ordered the Maverick.

Not sure why anyone would need the Flame Boss with a BGE. It will hold a steady temp for hours on end without any issues. At least so far.

Top Bottom