Who are 12 people who have never been in my kitchen?

Why make the percentages fixed? Perhaps a simple interview form that would help a person reach their 'happy place' would work, and it could change over time.

That would lend to life coaching where weekly or monthly goals are met, to transition to a healthier life. And the coach feature is a premium product with subscription (coach pays?)
The other subjectivity part is what happens if you are constantly scoring a 50, does this mean that one is unhappy? Does someone then adjust the percentages to get a 70 by doing the same thing that got them the 50 under the previous percentage just so they can feel better about themselves?

The other subjectivity part is what happens if you are constantly scoring a 50, does this mean that one is unhappy? Does someone then adjust the percentages to get a 70 by doing the same thing that got them the 50 under the previous percentage just so they can feel better about themselves?

I'm already out?? These need to be bonuses and not penalties.

So @Norm, is looking at a way to measure and track his KPIs. He measures, interprets, adjusts.

Monetizing this thing means entering the market where people need to be told what to do, and how to effect their score. Their starting score (weights and percentages) would be something they would pay for. Getting baseline, and seeing how they missed, where they missed, where it was easy to improve vs difficult.

it isn't a measure of happiness - it is a framework for a more well-rounded life. people are looking for that. we are not necessarily the target audience. most of the state of california is.

then they see the trend upward, and gauge if they feel better? or would seeing the trend upward make them feel better??
also, why cap the score ? there are other ways - think of the score being in a cohort group (think people in the bronze group can score 80, but that would be a 60 in the silver group, 40 in gold...) - that helps with goals and the ability to reset (and charge) the weights and percentages. it also might fit in with that survey thing to put people in the right group.

anyway - this is probably the far off part, and easily implemented from the programming POV.

@fidodie needs to just be a consultant on all aspects of life. A roll out for the general population would work best if the user started with a quick "get to know me" quiz that then adjusted percentages. After a bunch of users, you could set percentages by quiz result, age, activity level, etc and suggest appropriate percentages.

I've looked into a similar project in the past, but more gamification of daily life. Did a quick overview of other options out there and the gamifaction route gets very complicated (most are set up like an RPG). I think you are on the right track with an idea simple enough for the end user.

bought my house from an old Korean couple who used one of these, @soundz howz it work?
I love kimchee, @rick81721 I found a great Korean place in Tampa last week, worth a visit

p17b_dimchae_kimchi_refrigerator_palos_verdes_chung_family_homel.jpg
It's basically a storage fridge.
You have to or supposed to vary the temp depending on the stage of kimchee. It doesn't do this automatically btw... I think... at least mine doesnt.

Friends (1 of 12)

I am/was torn on how to blog about the things I/we do. Really the issue comes into play on a night light Friday when we do 2 things at the same time. When you meet friends at a restaurant does it count as friends, food, or both? I count it as both. There is no rule against combining 2 things into 1. But that's not the issue as it regards to this blog. I think we can all agree that having dinner with friends at a new place counts as a) having dinner and b) eating at a new place. The real question is this. Does it count as 1 blog entry or 2?

In the interest in providing valuable content to my remaining loyal readers, I shall count this as 2 distinct lines of blogging thought. So I shall write 2 entries for each item I cross off my checklist.

Jolene & Rodney

Jolene is @Dominique's former coworker who was sort of pushed out of her job (technically "laid off") who quickly became a good friend of D before she was unceremoniously let go from the company. We've been to dinner with them before and it's possible (I forget) that some of the people reading this have been at our house with them before. Anyway, this isn't the first time we've had dinner with them and I am reasonably sure that it won't be the last. Short story shorter: Jolene and D get along really well and as such, we occasionally get together from time to time for things like dinner and...well, dinner.

So we met Friday night at Seasons 52 in Bridgewater (blog coming soon) for dinner at 6:30. I picked up D at work and we got there just about on time. We had a nice dinner and I will talk more about the food & service in another blog soon enough.

Jolene & Rodney have an interesting history. Like D and myself, they were both formerly married. Among other things this is yet another we have in common. In terms of how we all ended up in NJ eating dinner together on Friday night, that's another story.

Rodney is from South Africa. I am not sure how he managed to come to the states but he's been here from some time and I believe his college-aged kids have been raised (if not born) in the States. He still has an accent so he didn't grow up here. And his parents are still in South Africa which supports the idea he came after his childhood. He is a former surgeon and now works for Johnson & Johnson just a few miles from their house in Bridgewater.

Jolene is from the west coast and used to be part of Hollywood. She wrote screen plays and had a husband who was part of the scene (as far as I can remember). They used to be immense party hosts/attendants and they were neck-deep in the world as far as I understand it. But as Aesop or Chaucer may or may not have said, all that glitters is not gold. Their party lifestyle-relationship did not last.

At some point previous to Friday night Rodney & Jolene found themselves building a life together and that life brought them to New Jersey (sort of like Hollywood but without anything like Hollywood at all) and before long we are all sitting together having dinner together on a Friday night. I honestly find the whole thing fascinating in some ways.

Rodney is a big guy. Since I have last seen him I think he must have lost 20 pounds. The last time we had dinner was at their house and it was during the Tour de France. At the end of the night we watched the Tour on Rodney's NBC Sports Gold app which led me to pony up the $20 for the same app the next day. You may remember us gathering around my phone at Kingdom Trails watching the highlights on it. That was why. Anyway, he must be 6-2, and has at least 20 pounds on me which is saying something these days.

He is also almost always short on words at the start of the night. I remember the first time we had dinner together (at Tapastre in Somerville). He gave us the impression that he has abso-fucking-lutely ZERO interest in being there. Eventually he warmed up to the dinner conversation and actually seemed to enjoy it. Rodney more or less seems to operate this way. At the start of the night he doesn't seem to want to be there. But as the night goes on, he gets more and more interested and by the end is fully engaged.

Jolene is the polar opposite in terms of when you see her at first. She will greet you like a) she is your best friend for 20 years and b) she has not seen you for the last 10 of them. She's really nice and easy to like, and she & D have become good friends over the past 2 years.

We really like spending time with them. As reticent as Rodney may seem at the start of every gathering I enjoy the fact that he is just an honest guy. They are both intelligent people and we always find something good to talk about. We are going to New Haven, CT (yes we are willingly going to Connecticut) to see Riverdance in 2 months and we have invited them along.

First dinner with friends in the books. I imagine that anyone who may might possibly have dinner with us may think again after reading this post. Then again, maybe you'll be interested in hearing what I have to say about our history. Don't worry, I won't say anything bad.

IMG_4119.JPG

Restaurants (1 of 12)

Friday night, 6:30 pm at Seasons 52 in Bridgewater. From the above post you know who we went with and why we were going there. Jolene had been asking D to meet her for lunch there and when we got in touch with them about dinner D suggested that be our destination. Interestingly enough, @Kirt had suggested we go there a few weeks before when we were talking about local places. Thus the stage is set on how we got there. While it wasn't specifically picked it fit the requirements as a 4 star, 2 dollar sign restaurant.

Yelp link here:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/seasons-52-bridgewater-2

Seasons 52

We had made reservations which was good because the place was pretty crowded. I have to say I was pretty surprised how big the place was. Usually when you go to a 4 & 2 it's not this big, this open. I mean, who really cares. In the end we're there for good food and of course the company. But iff I'm grading the ambiance of the place I can't give it an A. Usually we prefer smaller/tighter places so it's not an ideal setup but again, this is a minor detail in the overall.

Service was quick, on point. To me service is mostly like this: Bad, or everything else, which translates to good. I mean another way to put it is this. Service is really just there to give us what we need, tell us a little about the menu, and that's basically it. I mean you might lose points for not being especially useful when we ask questions but basically, it's a binary thing. Good, or bad. Service was good, at least to start.

We started with a beer for Rodney and a bottle of Malbec for D, Jolene, and myself. It was good. In general I find wine from Argentina or South Africa a pretty good bet. They really don't import crap as a general rule. They'll ship anything from California so you never know what you're going into there. When in doubt, go with non-American when you're paying this much for your wine.

Both the things I got were specials so they won't be on the menu. First was a beet salad with goat cheese (and other trinkets). It was pretty reasonable and very tasty. Not super filling which is good. The beets are not your standard deep blood color in this pic. It was excellent.

IMG_4114.JPG

Next up was the sea bass special. I usually don't get something like sea bass (or fish in general) because the cost is high and often times you end up a little hungry when you're done. But being that I'm trying not to eat like a cow all the time it works out well. I mean I love scallops but it's hard to pay $25 for 4 scallops. But this piece of fish was solid, and I have to say while it wasn't the cheapest thing to eat in Bridgewater it was mostly worth the cost. Expensive, sure. But really tasty and well done. It came on a bed of black rice with shiitake mushrooms and a few snow peas.

IMG_4115.JPG

I ended the meal with a double espresso which was decent.

The meal as a whole was quite good. From the wine, to the salad, the main, and the espresso. All in all it was solid.

Having said that I'm not sure I would go back again unless it was with friends. Like I said, I wasn't a big fan of the wide open seating to start. In the end the waiter clearly wanted to get us in and out of there as fast as he could. I don't blame this on the waiter specifically, but as we left there were clearly lots of people waiting for tables, so the restaurant wants as much throughput as possible. Again, I understand it, but at the prices we paid, I want to sit there as long as I damn well please. You could probably say the cost was on the high side but honestly in this day and age, it's kind of par for the course for good food.

The place makes good food, service was quick and we got our meals efficiently. If they tightened up the space a little and didn't rush so much, it would be even better.

Restaurants (1 of 12)

Friday night, 6:30 pm at Seasons 52 in Bridgewater. From the above post you know who we went with and why we were going there. Jolene had been asking D to meet her for lunch there and when we got in touch with them about dinner D suggested that be our destination. Interestingly enough, @Kirt had suggested we go there a few weeks before when we were talking about local places. Thus the stage is set on how we got there. While it wasn't specifically picked it fit the requirements as a 4 star, 2 dollar sign restaurant.

Yelp link here:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/seasons-52-bridgewater-2

Seasons 52

The place makes good food, service was quick and we got our meals efficiently. If they tightened up the space a little and didn't rush so much, it would be even better.

I enjoyed this review - I went to the Seasons 52 @ Menlo Mall shortly after it opened and in general I would echo your sentiments. Overall it as a decent to good experience but for the price I was merely whelmed.

I was particularly put off when I wasn't able to get a clear answer if the Salmon they served was Wild or Farmed. For a place that prides it self on using in seasonal/fresh ingredients it was disappointing that they had no idea. I asked three different people and got three different answers (which is impressive seeing as there should have only been two answers Wild or Farm).

On top of that I experienced the same rushed type feeling from service. Not that the service was bad - just that they were trying to get us out of there as quickly as reasonably possible.

Looking forward to more reviews so I know where to go/not go for good eats.

Shows (1 of 12)

Saturday was a 1 of the gifts I had given to D for Xmas, which was a day in the city. The first stop of the day (after lunch) was going to be the Met. The idea was for us to have a full day in NYC, starting with a quick lunch, a trip to the Met, dinner, then a show. The 3 pieces (after lunch) added up to form our plan to spend the day here. When we woke up it was snowing, which made the drive in easy and made the city much more charming than it normally would be. Maybe a little messy, but all in all I think I like the city better with an inch or so of snow on the ground.

After a quick stop at Whole Foods for lunch, we trekked across Central Park in the snow and made our way to the Met for our first stop of the day. Museum link here:
http://www.metmuseum.org/

As a note of clarification, "shows" refers to any show, museum, play, concert, performance, etc.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Just about a year ago we had spent a few days in DC going to museums and after that I made a list of places I want to go sooner or later. The Met was more or less 1 of the places on the top of the list. I was originally going to let D pick between this and the American Museum of Natural History across the park, but after looking at the wiki pages for both of them I opted for the Met. The other would be better with the kids and this would be better just the 2 of us.

Quick stop outside for a photo op before we headed into the warmth of the old building. You can see the banner for the Jerusalem exhibit but that would proved to be absolutely mobbed so we didn't spend any time in it.

IMG_4121.JPG

The wiki page says there are 17 sections of the museum which is probably impossible to do in a given day. We went in with the intention of seeing the Asian wing and the Impressionist stuff. I find Asian art pretty bipolar in the hit/miss category and for the most part, I wasn't overly amazed by what I saw here. In contrast, the Philly Museum of Art had a really good Asian section whereas here was a lot of standard stuff. I mean to be fair, the Met has over 2 million pieces so in a way it serves as an art library. And like a library where all the books are not all winners, the same can be said of the pieces here.

With that said, of course there was some pretty cool stuff here. The numerous Buddha versions through Asia are always interesting to look at. I forget the details of this but the amount of effort spent on this stuff is always pretty awesome. Look ma no hands:

IMG_3222.JPG

At the very end there was a relatively small room on the 3rd floor above the Asian wing with some finer arts, which we almost didn't go into. If I were to go back I would spend most of my time in the Asian section here. I always enjoy the jade and ivory carvings. These are 2 different kinds of jade in 1 of the display cases:

IMG_4126.JPG

This upper section of the Asian wing had a lot of cool things and much less of the standard scroll poems/paintings and vases. Here is a piece of decadence from ancient Asia. A snuff box made of ivory with a coral stopper at the top.

IMG_4127.JPG

After the Asian wing we made our way to the Impressionists, which are the names many of us are familiar with: Van Gogh, Manet, Monet, Renoir, Cezanne, Pissarro, Degas, etc. My option was to see the Asian stuff and D wanted to see the Impressionists. There is also an early European wing but honestly I can only look at portraits and pictures of Christ and/or angels for so long. I also find with that stuff you need the history of it, as political statements were often made through painting and if you don't have the back story a lot of times all you see is a fat angel with a little penis.

I digress.

Probably one of the most famous ones if this Van Gogh painting of...well, himself:

IMG_3229.JPG

Beyond that there were something like 30 rooms of paintings from this era alone. I think there must be 100 different Degas paintings here (D says 20). Some of them are good, some of them maybe not so good, but in all it forms some semblance of a collection of the time period. Aside from the fact my legs & feet were tired, it was an interesting breeze through the galleries. I think I like the pointillism stuff (below) the best. I also tend to like the Dutch paintings as well.

IMG_3230.JPG

We took a break after this and got coffee/tea and a banana. Why do French fries smell so good? We sat in the cafeteria in the basement and talked a bit while we took a break. Between the walk across the park and the walking in the museum we had been on our feet for 4+ hours. It adds up. So it was nice to take a load off.

Doing the mental math we figured we had a little time to hit another small section and someone had posted on my Facebook pic of D (up at the top) that they really liked the Armor and Arms section. So we swung through that quickly and took it in before we left. The guns are of little interest to me and the swords are sort of redundant after the first batch. But the Japanese stuff was cool as hell. I mean check out the absolutely awesome style of this war helmet:

IMG_4134.JPG

I also think the full coats of armor are pretty wild and show some serious craftsmanship. The chain mail armor is really cool stuff. In all that section was pretty small so we were able to hit that and be out the door in plenty of time to walk back across the park and make it in time for dinner.

The cool thing about the Met is that you can pay whatever you want. They suggest $25 but I guess in theory you could pay $1. We decided that $30 for the 2 of us was fair, and we were fine with that for the 4+ hours we were there. I think the trip is worth it, I very mush recommend it for anyone who likes any of this stuff on any level. You can pick & choose what you want to see and like I said, you pay what you think it's worth. I have to imagine we'll be back some day, maybe even this year if circumstances line up right.

Show #1 in the books. Of all the 12s I have in line this year, I imagine this one will be the easiest to knock out.

Last edited:
When I was there I was able to see Asians, and Impressionism at the same time. The MET is a great building just to marvel at its architecture and the scale of it. You definitely have to hone in on 3-4 things you want to see, otherwise its all too overwhelming. I could not imagine going to a show afterwards, Mary and I were kinda spent after the MET.

DSCF2868.JPG

DSCF2862.JPG

Restaurants (2 of 12)

I think it is safe to say that I will not struggle to eat at 12 places this year and to see 12 shows. I think it is also a lock that I will read 12 books and eat dinner with 12 different sets of people. Given that we were 7 days into the new year and we were going to our 2nd restaurant, I think food is a lock. Likewise, after 7 days we'll have 2 shows under our belt. I think in January alone I have 5 planned. That will give us plenty of time in the summer to go on biking trips because in the end I think that will be the hardest one to hit. On that note, biking has been expanded to include any outdoor adventure, like a big ski trip or an acid-inspired full weekend jarts tournament.

We left the Met and trudged across Central Park to our dinner destination. It's really quite nice to see lots of people out riding sleds down the hills in the park, and to think about how cool NYC must be on days like this when it is predominantly filled with locals and the tourists make up a smaller percentage than normal. To @pooriggy - I think you can handle 3 things in a day if you are mentally prepared. Knowing you have something following makes you take a break now and again to make sure you have enough juice to make it to the end of the day.

Eventually we made it to our dinner destination.

Kashkaval Garden

A quick look on Yelp will give you a little preview:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/kashkaval-garden-new-york

The stats:
4 stars
2 $$
349 reviews
Mediterranean, wine bars, tapas

When we walked in this looked exactly as I want a place in NYC to look. Small, fitting as much into as small of a space as possible. The walls were brick and the distance from one wall to the next was probably about 20 feet. Ambiance here was perfect. We got a table for 2 and settled in for dinner. We had over 2 hours until the show started and we were all of 5 streets and a half an avenue away. Google said it was a 9 minute walk.

IMG_4138.JPG

The first 2 things that jump out at you from the menu:

1. Cheese fondue
2. Poutine

Much like the menu, we are now confused. Mediterranean tapas does not usually entail a whole hell of a lot of cheese. So I think we are a little uncertain what to expect at this point. When we see tapas we are pretty much expecting to go in and see nothing but small, sharable dishes. This is pretty much our approach no matter where we go. Even if it's not a tapas place we often go in and get 4 smaller things, like a salad and 3 appetizers. Often times we are at non-American (ish) restaurants so this is easier to do. Like if you go to a Lebanese place you can get a good, varied meal of 4-5 different appetizers.

That wasn't really the case here.

We started with the "tapas" which was really what some places have started calling "spreadables". Here that translates into the hummus, babaganoush, and so on. They had different combos to choose from and looking at the menu I think we got these 4:

1. Babaganoush
2. Spinach tapenade
3. Roasted artichoke
4. Squash caponata

IMG_4139.JPG

It was good, to be sure. But this was the entirety of what they considered tapas. I think we were both a bit disappointed in the format here but these were 4 very good dishes. The spinach & babaganoush were real good, and the artichoke was good. The squash was good but it contained cinnamon so it kind of clashed with the other 3. I thought it was good, but not in-line with the other 3.

In there we got a bowl of the soup of the day: split pea soup. Again, not sure how much this was in-line with the expected theme here but it was good, and fit the day well, given that it was cold & snowy out.

Last was a spinach salad with 2 skewers, a lamb and a chicken.

IMG_4140.JPG

You can see the parts of each skewer on D's plate. The meats were good, though interestingly enough I felt the chicken was better than the traditional lamb. I think in this realm, chicken is a good medium for the spices so any Mediterranean/Middle Eastern places, chicken will be a solid option as it carries the flavors really well. That was the case here as the chicken was super yummy.

BUT WAIT YOU SAY! That doesn't look like spinach at all, but kale. You'd be right! And shortly after D made mention that we got the wrong salad, our (flamboyantly gay) waiter made the same observation and brought us the spinach salad that we ordered on the house. We devoured both salads and they were both really good. I think I preferred the kale slightly and D preferred the spinach slightly. Both were quite good.

We also drank malbec (again) with dinner. It was happy hour so it was actually cheaper to get it by the glass instead of buying a bottle. The wine was fine, and not terribly expensive at $8 a glass.

In all the meal was good, but I am not sure we would come back here because we sort of exhausted all the options with this meal. We had a good selection of the tapas, 2 skewers, 2 salads, and a soup. When you look at the menu there isn't much more to the place. If you are in the area I think it's worth the stop. And if I were to go again I think I would get the 6 option on the tapas and scrap the soup. I mean nothing against split pea but I'm not sure that's why you go here. Having said that I am not sure where you go for split pea soup.

But if I absolutely have to go again, I'm getting the poutine. The waiter said it was one of the most popular things on the menu and you really can't go wrong with that option. Still, I am reasonably sure we won't find ourselves there again any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom