Which one?

Bowieeeeeeeeee

O.K. So after buying a Wallyworld $200 special to try out the fat bike world I think I'm ready to step up a little. Just spent some decent coin on my FS 29er so my budget is under a grand. More specifically around $800. Have it narrowed down to...

http://www.the-house.com/qfrmin217wo14zz-framed-bikes.html?gclid=CJ3f7_mZlL8CFUcV7AodOT0Acw

Or

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fat-bikes/fat-bikes-boris-x9-fatbikes.htm

The Framed is available for around $750 on eBay (minus the extra wheels) and Motobecane is the listed price. I have a hardtail Motobecane 29er that has been pretty good to me so I'm not turned off by the direct sale thing. So...if it was your $$$ what would you do and why?

P.s. So there may be a lightly used Wallyworld fat bike showing up for sale soon for those interested in going in slowly.:)

I vote Motobecane for the better components. The other one is advertised at 35 lbs. Have you found some weight info on the Motobecane?

How is the Wallyworld special? I have wanted to try that one out....

I vote used Surly Pugsley, I have seen a few go for your asking price locally and on eBay. Now is the time to buy, as they only go up in price when the snow starts falling.

My .02

My buddy has the Minnesota Framed bike. Overall an OK bike. We ride Ringwood / Jungle on a regular basis and he has raced H2H at Waway and Jungle with it. But it is heavy at about 35 lbs. It looks like similar builds at that price point will come in around that weight. His one comment is the stand over is a bit of an issue more so in winter conditions during quick dismounts. The Motobecane looks like it has more of a bent top tube and slightly better component specs. Having said this, he plans to move on to something else very shortly.

My Mukluk is right around 36 with the 27tpi Nates fwiw.

My Mac tool dealer has (90% sure) the Motobecane and it's fairly cool. Front wheel APPEARS wider than the rear so you could go half-moonie even. Rims are drilled and he says weight was closer to thirty but I dunno if he actually weighed it.
Used is a good move, since BD, Nashbar, OnOne, et al started selling the bottom has dropped out of the resale market. I'd lose shirt and pants trying to sell now!

Last edited:
I vote Motobecane for the better components. The other one is advertised at 35 lbs. Have you found some weight info on the Motobecane?

How is the Wallyworld special? I have wanted to try that one out....

Motobecane does not list a weight. The website just says most bikes in this class weigh between 35-40 lbs. Been pretty happy with the Wally-Special. Was kinda cool the 1st time I sailed through the sugar sand that would of stopped our at least had me fishtail through on my 'regular' bikes. I swapped a few parts (grips, chain, pedals) and added some stickers so it looks pretty cool. It weighs 50# though. Got my son one (he's 11) and for the most part he sticks with me on the local trails.

I am shopping my self...I think the moto's are out of stock but I could be wrong....looks like they ship in the middle of august

I am looking at the Minnesota 2.0 as a starting point....most of the weight is in the bolton stuff so that could be changed out after you decide if you like it....you also might want to look into the frames design. I have read that bikes like the pug's are better long haul bike while Minnesota is better for tec singletrack...but that just what I have read...mostly on mtbr in the forum

one thing I have found out is look at the tires that come on the bike.....they are $150 a peace:eek: ....and the tires make a differance from summer to winter....If your plan is to mostly ride the bike in winter, look for a bike with whiter tires and vise a versa....hope that helps

Last edited:
I ride my 4.8 bud and lou year round, and have no issues. Easier to put extra giddy up in my step then to switch tires and spend more $, Then again, I am a set it and forget it guy.

As for weight, my moonlander has to be no lighter than 36lbs. (37 stock, I went tubeless, but when you are talking this weight, a lb. dosen't really matter), and it is awesome, if I want to go fast, I have a better suited bike. Lets get real.

I suggest you check ebay, there is a nasty Pugsley Ops for a G plus $75 shipping, that lists as a 2K plus bike for 2014.

I received a Motobecane Boris The Brut about a month ago. Although it was a little more money than your budget allows I think it is a great bike. They do require a little more power due to the surface resistance (on the ground) to pedal. It seems to work best for me at the slower speeds. I did buy some pedals for it since it did not come with them. I also changed the seat for one that I have always really liked and that provides the right fit for me.

Back
Top Bottom